Salvage title affect on price? JH4NA1158NT000268

How much weight should one give to an NSX having a salvage? The car in question is a Kaiser Silver 1992 (not snap ring) w/ only 46,375 miles on it. The "before" damage pics indicate that the car was hit high on the passenger door (top half of door & bottom half of window...somebody side-swiped something?) The car was throughly inspected & there is NO FRAME DAMAGE.

Seller wants $29K. Car was meticulously restored, but does carry the salvage title stigma. The car will be bought to be used as a daily driver with no intentions of selling it for a very long time.

Input, comments, etc...?

Thanks to all.

Ben

Re: Salvage title affect on price?

who cares .. unless there was REAL damage.. I bought a car with salvage title because of a real dirty divorce the wife took the car and parked it somewhere and the husband claimed it stolen....long story short after 8 months the car reappeared and it now had a total loss title..... no damage AT ALL a document only salvage title......actually what it did do is get me a 2004 16k miles $38K :eek:...thats right...so anyone who says stay away needs to give their head a shake......moral of the story DO YOUR HOMEWORK

California gives a total loss to vehicles deemed stolen very easily

good luck

I would imagine it depends on the person. For me, there is no way I would purchase a car with a salvage title, so it would have a significant affect for me.

Good luck.

How much weight should one give to an NSX having a salvage? The car in question is a Kaiser Silver 1992 (not snap ring) w/ only 46,375 miles on it. The "before" damage pics indicate that the car was hit high on the passenger door (top half of door & bottom half of window...somebody side-swiped something?) The car was throughly inspected & there is NO FRAME DAMAGE.

Seller wants $29K. Car was meticulously restored, but does carry the salvage title stigma. The car will be bought to be used as a daily driver with no intentions of selling it for a very long time.

Input, comments, etc...?

Thanks to all.

Ben

$29K sounds very high for a salvage 92 NSX regardless of the condition. You'll have a hard time selling it.

Personally speaking, I would never buy a salvage car.

i think in today's market, the car you describe in perfect condition with up to date maintenance and a clean title would fetch around the $25,000 range.

the salvage title does hurt the value quite a bit. depending on the extent of the damage, i would price the car in the $20,000 range although the damage may have not been significant enough to damage the frame.

How much weight should one give to an NSX having a salvage?

A lot. Are you SURE you aren't going to sell soon? Things change. You may get bored, etc.

FYI, LOTS of good threads on salvage titles here. Are you looking because you want more car for less money? Personally Id take that $29k and look for a nice older car that was well taken care of.

The car was throughly inspected & there is NO FRAME DAMAGE.

By whom? Someone from your party? Please don't take the sellers word for it.

Nothing wrong with salvage, especially when you know where the damage was. However $29k for a salvage is way overpriced. I dont care how low the miles are.

Well my opinion is kinda in the middle of most of the above post. If I was shopping a 92 w/46k w/good title in this economy I would think it would be worth about 30K.

Now, if you are just trying to get a lil more car for your money by all means by with a Salvage title car. But I think the car would be worth about 20-24K at most. Beware some Ins. Co's wont put full coverage on a Salvage title car.

But my overall opinion is to buy it if you can get it cheaper, IMO he is asking good title money for a salvage title car.

$29K sounds very high for a salvage 92 NSX regardless of the condition. You'll have a hard time selling it.

Personally speaking, I would never buy a salvage car.

I agree $29k is way to high for a 92 with a salvage title.

I too would not buy a salvage car.

Call your insurance company and ask it they insure NSX's. Then ask if they insure a SALVAGE TITLED NSX. Salvage usually is 85% of value before it reaches salvage status, which means the damage would have been significant. Pics are only the surface of what may have been wrong. I would walk as fast as I could from a salvage titled car. When you sell it (you will one day), you'll be in the same predicament as the seller is now - desperate.

My car, pictured below was over 46k in damages.
JH4NAZ166VT000204-a.jpg

Last edited:

C When you sell it (you will one day), you'll be in the same predicament as the seller is now - desperate.
]

I dis-agree with this.

If you buy at a fair price with a salvage title you will sell it at a fair price with a salvage title.

Let me throw this a different way. You're buying cheap, then gonna sell it cheap one day. ( The OP HAS already stated he has no intentions of selling soon BTW ). You're gonna take the same de-aprieciation loss on a Salvage title as you would a good title. They both lose money over time.

Input, comments, etc...?

Thanks to all.

Ben

There are some issues here.
Kaiser Silver was not a color offered in 1992. If the car had a color change how complete was the job? Engine compartment, front spare tire compartment, door and rear window jambs etc?

IT had to have more damage than you are describing to have the numbers work to declare a total loss.

Frame damage? The car has no frame. It is of unit construction.

If the point of impact is as you describe then there had to be structural damage to gather the numbers needed to make a total loss.

If you like, pm me the photos of the car when damaged and I'll give you an opinion.

put an ad up to sell a salvage title car and see how easy you can get rid of one. After that make your best decision with your new experience.

A good analogy would be, go out on a date, tell the girl you have some type of STD then try and get her into the sack. Salvage title doesn't go away and few people want a car with a salvage title. The people who do want one are looking because they want a good deal. If you don't mind being haggled to death no biggie.

put an ad up to sell a salvage title car and see how easy you can get rid of one. After that make your best decision with your new experience.

A good analogy would be, go out on a date, tell the girl you have some type of STD then try and get her into the sack. Salvage title doesn't go away and few people want a car with a salvage title. The people who do want one are looking because they want a good deal. If you don't mind being haggled to death no biggie.

+1

Put yourself in the position of selling a salvage title NSX. Not a good situation. If the deal is a steal.......then maybe, but 29K is way above "steal" level. Personally, maybe $20k would get my attention. That should give you an idea of what buyers you'll face if you decide to resell.

Just like anything else in life, someone will want it, and they will pay a price for it. For me sitting at my computer at 12:19 in the a.m., I would not pay 29k for a salvage title vehicle. I live in a area that is huge in salvage and rebuildable wrecks, and i see people pay almost retail all day long for vehicles that have been torn apart. I have seen a 2007 zo6 for 47k which is crazy expensive, and I have see a 1995 viper for 18k, which in my opinion is a great deal. Long story short, if you like the car, and it seems good to you, buy it! If your plans are to keep the vehicle for 10 years and put 50k on the vehicle, then it will be a great buy.
If its for a profit, forget it. The 04 model for 39 is a great deal, if purchased a year or 2 ago. If it was last week....still a good buy. It's hard to blame the economy for car values dropping. I think it is the sellers that are dropping the car's value. Plus, us as nsx shoppers are not affected by the economy as much as joe the plumber's trailblazer payment.

If you like it, do it.

Re: Salvage title affect on price? - PICS!

Thank you to all for the great advice & insight. While I am looking for a good bargain, I do not want to buy a money pit headache or make a purchase where the seller makes out BIG TIME; I simply want to pay a fair price for the car. When I bought a 308 GTSi in 2000 (sold it in 2004), I did not over pay nor underpay and I feel I got a fair deal for the market at the time.

In this case, I am willing to consider the car because I do not want to pass up a low mileage car that may really just be a decent deal. The $29,900 total asking price is WAY too much IMHO and that is something the seller & I can maybe come to terms on. However, I do have a few concerns about somethings that don't add up on this car.

One: all the pictures only show the side damage & I am lead to believe that this was the only reason it was totaled. Great, then why is there a picture of the entire front being taken off & the label "front bumper damage before rebuild" (???)

Two: obviously the entire door had to be replaced & re-hung, so I paid special attention to the way that door opened & closed...but I noticed a very slight area near the bottom of the passenger door (see pics) where it did not close FLUSH! We gently pushed the bottom in & could see that it would fit flush with some sort of striker or latch adjustment (?).

Ya'll check out the pics & let me know what you think....

Attachments

• Side 5.jpg
    Side 5.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Side 6.jpg
    Side 6.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 75
Re: Salvage title affect on price? - PICS!

Thank you to all for the great advice & insight. While I am looking for a good bargain, I do not want to buy a money pit headache or make a purchase where the seller makes out BIG TIME; I simply want to pay a fair price for the car. When I bought a 308 GTSi in 2000 (sold it in 2004), I did not over pay nor underpay and I feel I got a fair deal for the market at the time.

In this case, I am willing to consider the car because I do not want to pass up a low mileage car that may really just be a decent deal. The $29,900 total asking price is WAY too much IMHO and that is something the seller & I can maybe come to terms on. However, I do have a few concerns about somethings that don't add up on this car.

One: all the pictures only show the side damage & I am lead to believe that this was the only reason it was totaled. Great, then why is there a picture of the entire front being taken off & the label "front bumper damage before rebuild" (???)

Two: obviously the entire door had to be replaced & re-hung, so I paid special attention to the way that door opened & closed...but I noticed a very slight area near the bottom of the passenger door (see pics) where it did not close FLUSH! We gently pushed the bottom in & could see that it would fit flush with some sort of striker or latch adjustment (?).

Ya'll check out the pics & let me know what you think....

That is what salvage cars are all about, Stories.

new door and glass = nice car... I personally would stay away from any NSX that has been crashed past an outer body panel.... this one is a simple door and glass replacement

new door and glass = nice car... I personally would stay away from any NSX that has been crashed past an outer body panel.... this one is a simple door and glass replacement

NAw, It looks to me like it has been in a previous crash and that is how it got the salvage title. You don't get a salvage title from a dented door Usually.

NAw, It looks to me like it has been in a previous crash and that is how it got the salvage title. You don't get a salvage title from a dented door Usually.

I agree. First somebody said Silver wasn't available in 92. If this is true somethings up because the car is obvious silver in those damaged pics. Plus I see there is no pics of the rest of the car when it was in damaged form.

But hey bottom line. THE CAR IS OVERPRICED. 20k is the money on this car. So move on and find another one.

Last edited:

salvage titled cars scare the crap out of me and 29,000 for a 92 salvage titled car is terrible he might get 20,000 if he is lucky

$29K for a 92 with 46,375 miles & a salvage title. NO WAY! Run Forrest, Run!

Maybe if I received a great deal, but two years back before the economy dumped, I was lucky enough to find a 91 with 38,500 on it in great shape, for several thousand less than $29K. It is in the snap ring range though.... supposedly fixed, but I don't have the documentation.. anyway, for the price and condition of the car, I decided to deal with it.

A salvage title, maybe $20k... Personally, I wouldn't buy one, unless it was a very good deal. Under $15k or $15k might get me seriously thinking... for a daily driver or track car :biggrin:

Others have mentioned calling your insurance company. That is very wise counsel. I have heard some insurance companies won't insure cars with salvaged titles.

I believe if you are patient and aren't too picky about color, etc. you should be able to find another low mile car, maybe even lower miles for the same price or less, with no salvage title.

Good luck,

:cool:

Last edited:

I agree. First somebody said Silver wasn't available in 92. If this is true somethings up because the car is obvious silver in those damaged pics. Plus I see there is no pics of the rest of the car when it was in damaged form.

But hey bottom line. THE CAR IS OVERPRICED. 20k is the money on this car. So move on and find another one.

I bought a Mr2 from a salvage yard that came with a salvage title. I thought it was kind of wired, I can't remember what the deal was at the time but something didn't add up when I bought the car. I am pretty sure the car came with 907A papers. Anyways I took the car up to have it inspected to get it back on the road, I had to fix the roof as the car had been rolled but only the roof was bad. The inspector comes out and says he is going to keep the car until he finds out "what the hell I did" I was like, excuse me? He says you didn't apply for a front clip, this car has had the front clip changed out. I said well I didn't do it. He thinks I bought the car with front end damage then stole the parts to repair it. In ny you have to be able to prove where you got the parts to repair your car. This is one of the reasons why they do an inspection, so people don't steal parts to make repairs. He checks the computer, sure enough the car had been wrecked just a few months before and repaired. Double salvage title? No! Once that salvage title is there you can crash the car fifty freaking times and it won't change a thing. Also the reason why insurance companies don't like to insure salvage. Crash a salvage title car and you still get the same $ as if it weren't salvage, assuming you don't total it.

I think the same story will be found out about the NSX in this thread.

The story gets better. So, it wasn't just the door? The front end had damage plus the fact it has a repaint, since silver was never available in 92.
Is there anyway it could have been salvaged before the door was hit?

The car in question is a Kaiser Silver 1992

somebody said Silver wasn't available in 92. If this is true somethings up because the car is obvious silver in those damaged pics.

Sebring Silver, the color of the car in the photos, was available in 1992, but Kaiser Silver was not.
He just got the name wrong.

There had to be structural damage. When closed doors get pushed in from an impact they take the panels they are attached to with them.
In this case the striker and the inner quarter and, possibly the hinge pillar.

Back