s2000 or porsche 356 replica

So I am looking to get a small convertible car to beat around town in. Right now I am considering either a S2000 or a Porsche 356 replica. Both cars can be had for around $15000 sans ebay. I am not looking for performance, just a fun car to drive to work and back. I am leaning towards the 356, but the newness of the s2k is appealing. Any other thoughts or cars I might be looking over?

Last edited:
I'm not going to make fun of the TT recommendation - I have too much respect for D'Ecosse. :wink:

I understand the desire for the 356 - they are awesome cars with genuine historic significance. I've driven an example several times. That thought should be tempered with fact that, for most, the 356's appeal will diminish exponentially the more you drive it. "Exponentially" is a strong word...how about "quite a bit" instead. I'd think, ICBW, that even in convertible form the 356 is going to be a tad uncomfortable i in your neck of the woods. That, and constant fixing would give me a strong leaning towards the S2K.

Besides, I think the S2K, with all of its accolades, is an underrated sports car. But you'll make a good choice either way...both cars can be a complete blast to drive.

yes the sk2 is underrated as is the 225 TT please dont show your behind here pony with silly comments....

i like the s2k because of the look of it bit the 225tt because performance wise it walks on the s2k in most instances...

i would pass on the 356...you have enough projects you dont need anouther one

01blacks4 said:
i would pass on the 356...you have enough projects you dont need anouther one

Id get the 356, no comparison. Youll buy the S2000 and end up wanting to mod it:biggrin:

Besides, now you too can be like Dylan Mckay from 90210:tongue:

01blacks4 said:
yes the sk2 is underrated as is the 225 TT please dont show your behind here pony with silly comments....

Jeez, that was a joke - as noted by the winking smiley face. But I'll take the bait in friendly debate (and with all due respect to D'Ecosse).

Exhibit A:
04 Honda S2000
Top speed : 150 mph
0-60 mph : 5.5 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.2 sec @ 98.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 116 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.92 g

04 Audi Quattro TT
Top speed : 143 mph
0-60 mph : 6.6 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.8 sec @ 93.1 mph
60-0 braking distance : 117 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g

http://www.modernracer.com/audittquattro.html

01blacks4 said:
...bit the 225tt because performance wise it walks on the s2k in most instances...

Who's showing their "behind" now? :tongue: < --- note emoticon

I would also consider the 550 replica, then you could do your James Dean impersonation (Not the crash).

Tim

01blacks4 said:
i like the s2k because of the look of it bit the 225tt because performance wise it walks on the s2k in most instances...

Hmmmm..... I can't think of a single one, care to elaborate?:confused:

Or how about a 97 or 98 Boxster. That, the s2000, or the TT are all going to be so much more car than a plastic 356 fake. Just my .02c

Nate

I would prefer to stay under $20000 for a beat around town car.:wink: I like the 356 and the TT is an interesting car also. I think the S2000 is the most appealing, but I am afraid I will get bit by the mod bug with it and instantly have another project going on:rolleyes:

FWIW, I've thought many times about getting an early model S2K, black with red interior, and bolting on a Comptech header and exhaust and being done with it. After modding my NSX to no end, I can now appreciate having car that incorporates reliabiity, civility, and still remains the definition of a sports car.

Jeez, I'm getting old.:frown:

SNDSOUL said:
I am afraid I will get bit by the mod bug
For what it's worth, I got bit by the bug when I had my S2000. It was pretty heavily modded and I loved it. But when I started selling all the mods off I started to remember just how enjoyable the stock car was. By the time it was sold it only had suspension mods and it was still a blast to drive. The extra 100 or so whp it had in it's prime was only marginally more fun. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's VERY hard and VERY expensive to make an S2000 more fun than it is right out of the box. Just wear some (mod) bug repellant and you'll have no problems enjoying a bone-stock S2000. :)

There's only way a 225 hp tt beating a S2000. On White stuff..... I don't even count on the quattro on wet roads... S2k is just that much faster alright.

Now if you compared a modified one, there's no end, care to meet the Amuse S2k R1?? of course, by then you can bring the authetic DTM TT racer......

Back