S2000 or Boxster S

I'm going to be in the market in a couple of months for one of these cars. Either a new S2000 or a used Boxter S. I like to hear from the people that have owned both or driven both. The car would be my daily drive. It will never see the track.

You're just going to have to drive them both, research maintenance costs, and make an educated decision. Both have their pluses and minuses. But there are so many intangibles that you just couldn't decide without experiencing them first-hand. I would be happy with either one. Good luck.

I'm going to differ with the rest and go choose the S2K. I like the interior of the S2K much more and the whole idea of a pure driver's roadster appeals to me. That said the Boxster brakes are incredible and it's better torque is quite noticable.

I have owned 3 Boxster S's and would never own one out of warranty! It is a great car, but I don't care if they go down to 20K, that is a car that needs to be backed in order for me to own it. On the flip side I currently own a 2004 S2000 so here's my list of pros/cons.

1 rear window - plastic on the boxster glass with defroster on the s2k- advantage s2k

2. speed to lower the s2k top - advantage s2k (about 5 seconds vs 25 seconds)

3. s2k has the worst blind spot ever- advatage boxster

4. motor sound- advantage boxster all the way

5. stereo- they both suck- draw

6. my s2k has 7000 miles on it and has not been in for service once (except for the 1st oil change. Each of my three Boxster S's (2 new - one used) all have 3 to 5 visits by 7500 miles, one requiring a new motor) - advantage S2K!!!!

I could go on all day :) Both are great cars, but for different reasons. If you have any specific points of intrest for me to compare, let me know.
Aaron

steveny said:
The porsche will get you laid and give you headaches the Honda you will have fun with and it won't break down.

By looking at this guys stable of vehicles he already owns (Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Ducati, MV Agusta) I am sure this guy probably gets laid a good amount already, so my biased vote would be for another Honda. Screw the Porsche, you already have a 993 that is probably at the dealer all the time getting repaired. The time spent at the dealer is time away from driving your NSX, and Ferrari.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I say get the S2000, but as stated, you need to drive both and make up your own mind.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.

AaronR said:
I have owned 3 Boxster S's and would never own one out of warranty! It is a great car, but I don't care if they go down to 20K, that is a car that needs to be backed in order for me to own it.

I would say the same about the S2000. I bought mine new in 2000 and it was in the shop for:

1. Clutch - rattled horribly.
2. Top - started to wear a hole in itself.
3. Fuel Gauge broke three times. The third time the dealer refused to fix it.
4. Window regulator three times.
5. Striker plates for power top
6. Loose axle nuts
7. Self loosening spark plugs

That being said, it was a fun car. Drive them both and buy the one you like the most.

The boxster has more torque,it has more cargo capacity,and it feels more substantial.The honda ,imo is more engaging , and is more elemental in its sportyness.My frame of reference was owning a 00 s2000 and renting an 02 auto boxter.

I appreciate all the responds. Aaron since you have owned both you might be able to answer my questions. Which car feels more cramped, on the freeway or long distance is the s2000 tiresome from engine noise? Which car do you feel more confident in when you’re driving? If you could change one thing from both cars what would it be? Last question, if you could only have one vehicle which would it be?

Thanks everyone

steveny said:
The porsche will get you laid and give you headaches the Honda you will have fun with and it won't break down.

So far steveny has made the best argument :biggrin:

cetro993 said:
I appreciate all the responds. Aaron since you have owned both you might be able to answer my questions. Which car feels more cramped, on the freeway or long distance is the s2000 tiresome from engine noise? Which car do you feel more confident in when you’re driving? If you could change one thing from both cars what would it be? Last question, if you could only have one vehicle which would it be?

Thanks everyone

So far steveny has made the best argument :biggrin:

ya i agree, but it could atract old gay guys as well

Both cars feel very stable at speed. The S2000 is more fun at the track, as it feels more like a raw sports car and is more predictable to toss around, but the Boxster S has way more brakes. The gearing of the S2k is more fun at the track.

The Boxsters were slightly more confidence inspiring in the rain and snow becuase all 3 of my S's had PSM (traction control). TC is not an option on the S2k....too bad would be a great option for the car.

I am only 5'5" so neither car feels cramped to me. The controls of the S2k are much easier to use and reach from the drivers seat. The Boxster does have 2 trunks, but you can fit taller packages in the one trunk of the s2k. All of my 3 Boxster S's had full supple leather which is more comfortable than the S2k, but the standard seats on my 01 Boxster S were like rocks. The S2k seats are sportier and hold you in better, where the Porsche's seats were more comfort oriented for sure. Also the Boxster had heated seats where that is not an option on the s2k.

You have to remember that all s2ks are alike where all Boxster S's are not. A 50,000 base Boxster S is not all that luxurious where a $65,000 loaded boxster has some serious cool stuff...I have owned both and they feel like 2 diffrent cars.

All in all, **if both cars were the same price** I would buy the Boxster S again as long as I lived close to a dealer and it was in warranty. Being that $31,000 buys you a new 05 S2k, and $55,000 + options buys the Boxster S.. I decided to try the S2k and am just as happy as I was with any of my boxsters (at a savings of over $30,000 from my last Boxster S).

Hope that helps...

Best of luck
Aaron

I have owned both an S2000 and a Boxster S.

I kept the S2000 for a month and sold it. I kept the Boxster S for 1 1/2 years, and wish I had never sold it.

Maybe I'm used to more torque (have previously owned 2 Vipers, 2 Panteras, many '67 big block Corvettes, and so on), but the S2000 was no fun for me at all. You have to rev the heck out of it to enjoy it to its full potential, and I for one didn't enjoy having to wind it out all the time to even be able to keep up with minivans from a stoplight.

The Boxster S, on the other hand, is a far superior car (and it should be since it costs more). Much better power delivery and handling. I actually feel it handles as well if not better in the curves and coming out of the curves than my '91 NSX does.

A good friend of mine just bought a pristine 12k mile '00 Boxster S for $29,000 (that stickered for over $54k new). My personal opinion is that I would rather buy that car for $29,000 instead of buying a new S2000, even though the Honda will have a full warranty and the Porsche wouldn't.

I owned a 02 S2000 for 3 years and really enjoyed the car. I had driven a Boxster S before buying, and the fact that the S2000 was half the price (it was a lease, $3000 down, $300/month) was the main factor in the decision. The S2000 has a better driving position, much better shift/clutch, and is more nimble.

However, for a daily driver I would choose the Boxster. It is much more refined, quieter (but with a better engine sound). The shift/clutch IMO is definately a serious drawback. You could consider a tiptronic for a daily, and that was going to be my choice. Slightly slower, but engaging because of the steering wheel controls.

I have to agree that the S2000 would be much more reliable, although I have heard that if a Porsche is maintained very well, they can be reliable.

cetro993, you said you will use this car as your daily driver. Assuming you end up commuting in heavy traffic like most people, the Boxster S is the clear choice due to the much broader torque band.

Given that your suite of cars includes an F355 and 993S, you are no stranger to reliability problems and you obviously have alternatives in case your daily driver is in the shop. I'd be praying for problems -- shucks, have to drive the Ferrari today... :D

Thanks all for your input. I had a chance to drive both cars yesterday. The s2000 lack of torque was not that noticeable to me and I was kind of disappointed in the boxster’s quickness. I guess I was thinking it would be a lot quicker then the s2000. The handlings in both cars were great from what I gathered from my test drive. My choice is the s2000. The reason being to me anyways the s2000 just seemed better looking on the outside and I like the simplicity of the interior. It just seems more raw then the boxster. The boxster is just a little too luxurious for what I want this car to be.

There is just something about a "sportscar" and not being able to actually see an engine, that would make me feel disconnected with the car. (Boxster)

The S2K has a very weak drivetrain, but since you said that it will not go to the track, it would be a great pick. The new one offers more usable "street" torque as well. May be a bit buzzy for long hauls. I think if you drive both, you will like the Boxster better, but in the long run, the reliability and parts/service cost, the S2K will look more attractive. Most magazines are currently picking the Boxster over the S2K FWIW.

Hmph...not to be contentious, but I wonder which magazines. The latest Top Gear, the best car mag around IMO, picked the S2K as the highest rated sports car and highest rated car overall this year.

Here's a magazine that places the Boxster ahead of the S2000:

In the August 2003 issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine, there is an article starting on page 38 entitled "Four of a Kind" where Automobile compares the BMW Z4, the S2000, the 350Z Roadster and the Porsche Boxster.

Some comments, and I quote:

Re the S2000:
"Honda's digital instrument cluster was a curious anachronism when the S2000 was new; now it's about as futuristic as intellivision".

"The Honda's electric power steering suffers an on-center dead spot, and the ride can get quite choppy".

"...uneven pavement will toss it around a fair bit"

"Having to keep the revs way up in the 6000-9000 rpm range isn't always easy, particularly when the sun washes out the digital bar-graph tach"

Re the Boxster:
"...the flat six speaks with a voice both exotic and seductive".

"...comes beautifully alive in the upper half of it's rev range, and with the flat six growling in your ears, staying in the optimal rev range comes more easily than keeping the S2000 in its sky-highpower band"

"...chassis is unflappable; steering is alert and accurate"

Automobile did like a few things about the S2000, most notably the experience of driving it on the track, but they summed up the article by stating "We like the Boxster best".

Last edited:
Mike O said:
Here's a magazine that places the Boxster ahead of the S2000:

In the August 2003 issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine, there is an article starting on page 38 entitled "Four of a Kind" where Automobile compares the BMW Z4, the S2000, the 350Z Roadster and the Porsche Boxster.
I believe Car & Driver did a similar article a couple years back when the 350Z ragtop was the new one of the bunch. I can't recall whether the 350Z or the Boxster took top honours but I know it wasn't the S2K.

In any case, the S2K is still a top-drawer sports car for ripping around in. Just have to recognize that it is first and foremost a raw sports car and not a luxury GT by any stretch of the imagination. I would not personally choose either car as a daily driver but I could definitely see owning either one (and likely give the nod to the S2K) as a "2nd car" (like the NSX).

I have to say choosing the S2000 is a good choice. When I went to buy my 01 I drove Both Boxsters/Evo/Sti and Rx8 and I even Test drove that Toyota MR2 Spyder and my Integra GSR would have beat the living hell out of that thing but thats another story...To tell you the truth the Evo and Sti have more power and are faster in a 1/4 Mile but the Rx8 was more fun to drive then them. I came really close to buying that until I took a drive over to Honda and drove the S2000. See all I was looking for was a Sports car and thats what the S2000 is its a Raw Sports car nothing fancey about it. You really have to be a good driver to drive it...If you are looking for something similar to an NSX in handling and 1/4 (Pre 97s of corse) for everyday drive and maybe a few back roads here and there you made a the right choice...After you get it go to www.S2kI.com and tell us if you like it.

Also the S2000 was more apealing to me because I am a young guy and I feel that a Boxster is an oldmans car....

My top ten reason for buying it over the Boxsters

1 It revs to 9K and sounds awsome (only car in the world at the time)

2 Its a 2.0L making 240HP 120HP Per Litre only car in the world that can do that and is still N/A

3 You have to order them connot buy them on any car lot (unless they are used)

4 its way cheaper and wont break down as much as the other cars

5 your getting the same profourmance for 30K less

6 Can be upgraded with ease with parts from comptech

7 Easy to fix and cheap

8 Many car mags have ratted it better then all the other roadsters

9 It will keep up with almost anything else on the road

10 Its so fun to drive that I put 18K On my car in 6 months now I am going to buy another one !!!! I actually get mad when I can`t drive it lol....

Well good luck with it....Welcome to the family

John

Back