S2000 or 350Z?

My wife came home from a business trip on Friday to find that her car, a '97 Lumina, had been stolen from the Atlanta airport. She's narrowed the replacement choices down to either the s2000 or the 350Z. I tried to talk her into another NSX, but she says she would feel uncomfortable driving for everyday. I know a number of folks on this board have experience with these cars. Could you lend your advice?

Thanks, Greg.

S2K. I drove one the other day for the first time and loved it. I mean I really loved it. From the start button to the gear shifts to the whole convertible feeling - I loved it. Couldn't get use to shifting at 9K though.

Told my wife that she needs to get one.

honda.....quality, reliability, fun factor.....need i say more

as for weight, take 3000lbs as reference...

would you like 300lbs lighter or heavier?

BostonNSX said:
I favor the 350Z roadster!:D :D :D
throw in the BMW Z4 and the Porsche Boxster and you got some REAL choices... recent tests favor the:
- S2K for track use (and only track use)
- 350Z Roadster for highway cruising
- Boxster or Z4 for backroad drives

Depending on your planned usage, the choices should narrow down pretty quickly. I'd go with the Boxster (or Boxster S).

Where do you think I got my name anyway.................. For sheer driving pleasure, and as close as you can get to an F1 engine for the street, its the S2000! I am hearing rumors that there is gonna be a small displacement bump. Call it an S2200. Same horsepower, just more torque. Good luck.

Between the S2K and 350Z, I'd get the S2K. However, I would skip the 350 Z and get the Infiniti G35 Coupe instead. Between the G35 Coupe and S2K, I'd probably get the G35 Coupe.

Neither. The '04 model year S2K successor with the larger displacement engine is due out later this calendar year. That's the ticket...

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I personally have always leaned toward the S2K, but questioned the logic of the convertable in this Georgia sun. Plus, from a performance standpoint, my wife was most attracted to the fact that both cars come in "blue." :D I was suggesting the 350Z to her, as I suspect she would be spending most of her time with the top up and the air on. Also, the low end torque of the Z may be more suited to her normal driving habits. Thanks again for your thoughts, advice, and great links to more info on this topic!

the convertible S2K is getting bumped to 2.2liter???

i've read that it's the coupe version that gets the 2.2liter 250bhp engine.

educate me if there was new honda info.....

My answer would depend

Caveat - I love the S2000. I had a 2001 for a year and sold it for the glass rear window of the 2002.

If your wife really drives hard... S2K. If your wife prefers leisurely driving and a more sedate pace... Z.

IMO, despite the fact that the cars are similarly priced and put up similar stat's they really are two completely different beasts. I'm not saying anything bad about the Z. Its a great value and a lot of car for the money (although I'm not fond of the rear styling) but its a heavy mofo and to me, more of a GT car than a pure sports car.

The S, on the other hand, eschews all but the minimum of comfort for a very pure roadster driving experience. The stereo is only OK at best, the ride is very stiff, you have to really drive the thing to get the most out of it, and its noisy. But I love every second of driving mine and if you (or your wife) put a premium on visceral driving experiences, then look no further.

Also the folks at S2KCA and S2ki.com have been able to verify that the 2004 S2K will have a slightly larger 2.2L motor. Unfortunately, it will also gain a lower redline, softer suspension, and some additional comfort goodies. I doubt that it will be as comfy as the 350Z but Honda appears (at leats in my opinion) to be making the same mistake that Nissan (then Datsun) did with the original Z in that they're watering the car down to be more palatable to a larger audience at the expense of the hardcore driver who really wants the car in the first place.

I hope I'm wrong.

Easy, Suzuka blue S2000! Rumors of the S2200 have been floating around for awhile (both coupe and roadster) but I don't think an official announcement has been made yet.

JimK said:
Easy, Suzuka blue S2000! Rumors of the S2200 have been floating around for awhile (both coupe and roadster) but I don't think an official announcement has been made yet.

No official annoncement has been made but a brochure has been distributed.

As mentioned earlier, the MY2004 will continue to be called the S2000 but will have a 2.2L motor, lower redline, different gearing, bigger wheels and tires, softer suspension, and different or additional gauges.

Ponyboy said:
S2K. I drove one the other day for the first time and loved it. I mean I really loved it. From the start button to the gear shifts to the whole convertible feeling - I loved it. Couldn't get use to shifting at 9K though.

Told my wife that she needs to get one.

My NSX was the reverse: S2000 to NSX. I had trouble staying away from the limiter.

So she's going from a Lumina to a S2K or 350Z. Wow, that car thief did her a big favor :D

I think this month's Road and Track has a head to head comparison of the s2K and 350Z roadster, I'll check when I get home.

Dave

I think the S2200 will be more street friendly... ie, lower redline, more low end tq, diff gearing, softer suspension...... but i think the S2000 will still be the best for a hardcore driver...

I guess we'll see.

Either way they are both a huge step up from a Lumina. How about a 2001-2002 Bmw M roadster with the 315hp motor?

Is everyone really that impressed with the S2000? I just test drove a new one and although I didn't red line it (the salesman was with me) I did drive it quite briskly. My daily driver is a 98 GSR with IHE and I'm not sure that I couldn't have beat it, at least off the line. I guess I was just expecting more. And I know that I couldn't use it as my daily with the tiny amount of luggage space it has. I was expecting perf. more in line with my NSX even though I knew the low end torque wouldn't be there. My GSR is the perfect daily driver, lots of luggage space, good mpg, and just quick enough. Guess I'll have to buy a new RSX type S after all. :D

Zipy said:
....I didn't red line it....

That was your problem. The s2k doesn't come into its own until about 7500 rpm. I owned one for 4 yrs and frequently ran with older Vettes, Porsches,... I didn't always win but did always give them a run for the money.

Back