RSX Type S -- Anyone got one?

I'm thinking about a 2006 RSX Type S to replace my 18 year old CRX Si as my daily driver. Does anyone out there have one? Good/Bad/Ugly?

TIA for any stories you may have...

my dad actually just got one last month and he loves it.......BUT he has never owned an NSX and dosen't know any better:wink: I tried to talk him into getting an older NSX for a few extra dollars, but he didn't listen...Dumbass!!!:mad: :wink: :biggrin:

I drove it and was NOT impressed with it's power at all, the styling is ok and the interior is nice...but it wasn't what I expected as far as performance...
I'd go with a TSX if I were you....better looking, more room, same performance....

A good friend of mine has an 02 with 70K on it since purchasing it new. I ride in it quite often. I think it is a very nice car, probaby the best in that class for daily livability. You may also want to consider a new Civic Si over it if you want an LSD, or an off-lease S2000 for RWD.

A new Si is a better choice than the RSX. I will probably get flamed for this this, but oh well, I would get a Tiburon instead of the RSX. It may be slower and slightly poorer gas milage, but V6 power and torque for drivability and crazy warranty(good for daily driving). I love Honda, but the four cylinders are anemic as hell as a daily driver. I truely hate the torque they offer as a daily driver. JMO

I had a RSX-S for a while. It was a good car. It was pretty quick and I think it needs I/H/E because it always felt like it was starved for air. It gets great gas mileage and is cake to drive the 6spd. The hatch can hold lots of stuff and the seats are pretty nice. Sometimes I regreted getting rid of my 00 Civic Si for it, but I'd recommend it. Replace those stock tires though, terrible.

My lil bro has a 06 rsx type-s I think it is very nice. But I heard the new civic si will be better then the rsx s-type. But if you like the rsx then go for it....this is suppose to be the last year of production for the car.

Well yes, you can go for a type-s, but I heard, that there might be a type R comming. IF not, stick with the Si, best bang for your buck.

Civic Si, it's brand new. The RSX S is at the end of it's production cycle. Both share the same engine, and Si has a new chassis.

I've got one. For a daily flogger, it's outstanding. Lack of torque is countered by the butter smooth six speed. Up until recently, with the GReddy turbo kit, Hondata K_pro engine management, and 280 WHP, it was a total blast. As others suggested though, wait for the '06 Civic Si to come out, it has almost all the gear of the Type S, has a limited slip diff, and costs a whole lot less.

nuccaJB said:
A new Si is a better choice than the RSX. I will probably get flamed for this this, but oh well, I would get a Tiburon instead of the RSX. It may be slower and slightly poorer gas milage, but V6 power and torque for drivability and crazy warranty(good for daily driving). I love Honda, but the four cylinders are anemic as hell as a daily driver. I truely hate the torque they offer as a daily driver. JMO

i agree. i also think Tiburon looks better than RSX. supercharge it and the thing is pretty descent.

IMO!!!!

I would get a wrx limited...Leather, the new 2.5 l turbo engine and a price tag that starts at 22000...If money permits the STI would be my choice...

Let's not forget that the K-series in the RSX is THE most upgradeable powerplant these days. It isn't hard to get 250whp out of it and some people are breaking 300whp WITHOUT forced induction. So if the lack of power was a problem you'd just be a few upgrades away from real power. And you wouldn't be drivivng a Hyundai. ;)

flaminio said:
I'm thinking about a 2006 RSX Type S to replace my 18 year old CRX Si as my daily driver. Does anyone out there have one? Good/Bad/Ugly?

TIA for any stories you may have...
I own a 2003 with 73,XXX miles on it. It's been an awesome car (coming from a '91 Eclipse GSX AWD turbo). Reliability has been great- only problems were a heat shield rattle (fixed under warranty), ABS solenoid went out (after spinning the car at 60mph at an Auto-X; $850 diy, $1500 at dealer), and the rattling dashboard (minimized using insulation to only a squeek when I hit a bump, didn't notice too much until my wife got the 330i which is super quiet in comparison). I Auto-X mine, and it does pretty well, but the Mini Cooper-S seems to be the leader in the class. Stock Michelin tires are terrible- almost anything is an upgrade.

Pros:
Great fuel economy (30-36 mpg highway, 25(hills)-30(flats) mpg city)
Great carrying capacity (17 cubic feet trunk space w/o seats folded)
Great engine (loves to hit 8k)
Great transmission (takes practice and care, but is greatly rewarding)
Flies low on police radar when stock and no wing (except in vtec)
Handles well for stock car- seems pretty neutral in Auto-X with raised tire pressure
Aftermarket support is growing, as it is highly tuneable (Hondata re-flash now available for '05-'06; K-Pro fully tuneable ECU available as well)
Pretty clean lines inside and out (I'm one of the few who love the rear, but am only so-so on the front)

Cons:
FWD
No Limited Slip Differential stock
Bose stereo isn't the greatest- bass is a little weak
Stock Michelin tires

Neutral:
Engine is a little on the loud side compared to other cars, due to minimal insulation for weight savings.
Shift gates are narrow compared to other cars- takes a bit of practice to get used to it, and many have over-revved their engines due to mis-shift.

I'd also look at the '06 Civic Si. It's about $5k less, has a stock LSD, and very similar power. The reviewers say it's the best sounding vtec next to the NSX. The only problem is that the engine bay seems even smaller, so it might be harder to make aftermarket parts for it. The Si's engine is based off of the newer '05-'06 RSX-S engine, but different engine code (K20Z?). The K20Z's had an additional engine mount to reduce movement in the RSX and may have carried over.

Check out www.clubrsx.com for information- they're probably the #1 spot for information, including tuning.

i just found this thread while searching for something else but i figured i'd chime in...

i sold my 2004 rsx-s ASPEC edition right before i bought the nsx...

i have never looked back.

i bought it as a nice 'first car' since it was going to be the first thing i'd ever bought that was brand new.

i will say it is a decent car, but for the money, i'd rather take a (now, slightly used) accord coupe with the 6spd as a daily driver, and was trying to get a 6spd V6 with the HFP package on it, but the price was just a tad too high for me.

The last two posts notwithstanding -- we did end up getting the RSX-S. So far, we love it. The Civic Si base-priced cheaper, but once adding options to get it up to RSX equivalence it wasn't that different -- and most dealers are tacking on added markup these days (screw that!). The RSX just seemed, I dunno, comfier than the Civic too.

Now we'll see if my wife lets me mod it...

flaminio said:
The last two posts notwithstanding -- we did end up getting the RSX-S. So far, we love it. The Civic Si base-priced cheaper, but once adding options to get it up to RSX equivalence it wasn't that different -- and most dealers are tacking on added markup these days (screw that!). The RSX just seemed, I dunno, comfier than the Civic too.

Good choice, now tell us what you paid.:biggrin:

I have been debating on whether to trade in the wife's 94 Integra on either the RSX or the new SI coming out. Just don't want payments again. Almost have the NSX paid off and the TL is brand new.:cool:

flaminio said:

Big mods for the RSX are Hondata (ECU reflash) and intake. If you have the stock Michelins, then those probably will need to be changed out sometime.

Check out www.clubrsx.com for mod info (I'm the same screen name there). To weed out the garbage, check out the NA threads (for speed mods) and the Auto-X threads (for other mods), where the threads are usually a lot more intelligent, particularly the latter, which is kept on topic pretty strictly. There are some great tuners/enthusiasts on the site (edo & glimpse for engine, zyzzx and lando for racing info), and sponsors such as Hondata and Stoptech frequently post. Lando Auto-X's his in the SF region, so if you intend to go, talk to him.

BTW- nice choice on color. I've got the older arctic blue color, and can't decide which I like better. I visit the RC/Belmont area occasionally to visit family and am willing to chat about experiences/questions if interested, particularly with hints on maintenance (which is pretty easy on the RSX to diy).

Back