Rolling / Low oil sounding noise on right side of engine (TB side)

I tried to search on this but it's difficult criteria to search for.

I went to drive my car this morning. Started it and let it sit in the drive way to warm up for 10 min (I am CT and it has not moved much lately). I am hearing a noise on the timing belt side of the engine. Sounds like a rolling or low oil type noise low to moderately loud (horrible description I know). Car has oil. I don't believe it the engine itself, probably a component. My guess is idler pulley or alternator. Not AC related. Not heat related (not change when CCU is off or on). Thought? Risk?

The car has 56k. It's a 2000 so timing belt in terms of years is way overdue (I have been in queue with Larry B for a few months). I really don think it's the timing belt itself (it's just a rubber belt). The good news is that I am in queue for the belt but the question is, should I or should I not drive 2hrs to drop it off? Should I trailer it (I don't have a trailer but think I can borrow one)? Obviously trailer is the safest. Not sure how else to describe the noise. A bad pulley could do a lot of damage I presume.

That's not dangerous? Is that just for testing? It's definitely a new noise. It's been fine for over a year.

I had a similar noise but it only came on when I had the A/C on.
I'm replacing my A/C compressor and belt tightener pulley.

I think davidf is suggesting you loosen the A/C belt and see if the sound remains or goes away.
If it remains then loosen the alternator belt and do the same test.
It should shed light on what's making the noise.

Ahhh. I thought the suggestion was to loosen the timing belt... That sounds like a bad idea but I was trying to understand. I agree with the AC belt. That would be easy and a fair test.

Actually the first test should be to turn the A/C on and off on the CCU.
If the noise stops when the A/C is off then you know it's either the pulley or the compressor but the alternator is good.

I will double check this although I don't think it was one (35 deg this morning). I know it can run in the cold although I don't recall why. Easy double check.

By shutting off the A/C I mean turning it off with the A/C off button on the CCU dash panel.
Run the car with the A/C on defrost to make sure the compressor is on then turn the A/C off with the button.

I tried the AC (not moving on defrost I will try that tomorrow). I think it may be the alternator. Can I disconnect that for a short time and run the engine? I assume it will start but am not sure how much spark the battery can support (if any).

Once you've eliminated the compressor and the compressor tensioner pulley, the next step would be to isolate the alternator.
The engine starts on battery power alone, the alternator isn't turning enough to generate much power at starter rpm.
The engine will run off the battery for quite a while.

Loosen the alternator belt (best to remove it so it doesn't catch on anything), start the engine and listen for your noise.
If it's quiet you'll have your answer.

*od *ammit Maverick! I was letting the car warm up to get the idle down to better pin point the noise for a video clip (I try to always do a DYI for the team whenever I fix anything). I did get a vid but while it was warming the sound started to change and then went away. I am going to run to emissions quick and see if it comes back. Can't trouble shoot with no noise. Frankly it scares me more thinking I have a time bomb...

I must have missed this post months ago. Car is with Larry B now. He feels it is likely the AC pulley. It never came back so I am not sure. Larry will check around. Whenever I give him the car I ask that he treat it like his own from a preventative maintenance perspective and effectively give him a blank check. It's nice to have someone you can trust...

Back