Rock the Dragon

Attended the S2KI Rock the Dragon event last weekend with the NSX. A good friend who has a S2000 asked me to meet him on the Tail of the Dragon. Had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting many of the S2000 enthusiasts. The organizers put on a great event and welcomed the 4 NSX's that also came along. I highly recommend that everyone who is a "motorhead" to put the Tail of the Dragon on their bucket list. 318 curves in a 11 miles stretch of mountain road is just about as much fun as one can have. Of course, very little room for error. Ain't fun if your going slow. To fast and the ultimate price may be paid!

The area is just loaded with great driving roads. The "Dragon" is just one. I attended several of the "Wake the Dragon" and "Dragonball Run" events in my S2000 days, back when the SC folks used to put on meets twice a year.

I also highly recommend NSX owners do this at least once. The S2K community has always welcomed NSXs with open arms at all the S2K events I've ever been to.

I assume Rock the Dragon is still based at Fontana Village?

Yes sir. Fontana Village. The organizers from S2KI.com put on the event and in my opinion did a fantastic job. I'm also quite impressed with how aggressively they attacked the Dragon, yet with control. The put a lot of emphasis on maintaining your lane, yet drove aggressively which leaves very little room for even minor mistakes. The first two runs on Friday were in the rain which made it that much more intense.

I strongly recommend the other roads in the area, as mentioned above. Tail of the Dragon is a great road but its fame really gets in the way of enjoying it with all the traffic. I've gone twice but always enjoyed the other roads in the much more than the Dragon itself.

Living about an hour away from the area, I can second that "The Dragon" is only one of a very large group of awesome roads around there. Did you do any of the "Moonshiner 28" or climb the Cherohala Skyway?

When I was home more often, we would take a long loop, running from Foothills Parkway to the Dragon, then the NC portion of the Moonshiner 28 that goes by Fontana Dam, and back towards TN and home via the Cherohala. Nice way to spend an afternoon.

Last edited:
There were no issues with traffic over the weekend. I was surprised with how few people were actually on the Tail. Did get the opportunity to drive about 450 miles of various curves all throughout the area. Many nice twistys to play on. Will definitely go back multiple times with cars and bikes. Glad my sportbike days are behind me! The roads just invite aggressive riding. Saw so many cool bikes with riders hanging it out. Didn't see a single mishap, but I'm certain it happens often. The most nerve racking part of my trip was taking the NSX from Indy to the Tail in a 24 enclosed trailer. Made it through the Tail without compromising my lane, but it was tough. I'll post some pics later of both the car and the truck and trailer. The Killboy and 129Slayer websites have all of the photos archived.

Those S2Ki group drives are not for the faint of heart, unless you stay at the back. Most of those folks have owned their S2000s for a decade or more and drive them very regularly. Then again, I've had pickups driven by locals on my tail on some of those roads, with me in an S2000. I just let 'em by at the next pull-over. Saw a county deputy flying his LTD on the dragon istelf. He got that big thing to rotate in impressive fashion.

You are right about the emphasis on safety. Every group drive begins with a lecture about driving within your comfort zone and staying off the double-yellow.

If you ever get a chance to stop and visit with Killboy (be sure you can park safely), he's a great guy and an S2000 owner. He used to run an EVO 8 up there and he may still have it. But after watching and shooting all the S2000s twice a year he got the bug.

I strongly recommend the other roads in the area, as mentioned above. Tail of the Dragon is a great road but its fame really gets in the way of enjoying it with all the traffic. I've gone twice but always enjoyed the other roads in the much more than the Dragon itself.

I agree ! A bunch of us drive down every year from Michigan to do a 2 day trip of the Tail, Moonshiners and the Cherohala skyway during the easter weekend and I prefer the Moonshiners over the tail due it being little less crowded and I feel it has a certain flow to it when you start rev matching at every corner ! And also the fact that you have more room for mistakes.
We lost one of our cars to the tail this year when one of the newbies didn't respect the mountain enough

Last edited:
I'm about 15 miles away from the Dragon in Maryville, drop me a line the next time there's a ride. There's a other great roads no one goes on.

Nice! My most vivid car memory was tagging along with an NSX group ride through the Dragon/Skyway back in March of 2007 in my '76 280Z. I ended up purchasing an NSX later that year.

Lived most of my life about 30 minutes from the Dragon and have been up countless times. It was better back then without so much traffic/fame. I'm taking leave from Japan and coming back during ZdayZ in May to drive my '70 240Z up there.

oldnews did you used to own a red 2001?

Nice! My most vivid car memory was tagging along with an NSX group ride through the Dragon/Skyway back in March of 2007 in my '76 280Z. I ended up purchasing an NSX later that year.

Lived most of my life about 30 minutes from the Dragon and have been up countless times. It was better back then without so much traffic/fame. I'm taking leave from Japan and coming back during ZdayZ in May to drive my '70 240Z up there.

oldnews did you used to own a red 2001?

Yes. Sold in 2010 to a guy in Houston, he drove it back from Maryville. I wonder if he still has it.

Ha I remember you waffling about keeping the car or not. Missed it and found your way back into an '03? They all come back! Nice!

Back