Right Decision ??? From P996 to NSX ?

Hi All.... I'm currently driving a fixed up 02 Carrera 4S and been thinking for a couple of months now to sell it and get a 97 up NSX. Anybody here who came by this same path ? Any thoughts ? Please help....

The 996 tt awd you mean? if so Id drive and nsx first to see if your going to slit your rists after for buying one. :redface:

nsxtcy85 said:
The 996 tt awd you mean? if so Id drive and nsx first to see if your going to slit your rists after for buying one. :redface:

He said a 996C4S, not a Pturbo.

Secondly, I know a few people who own both a Pturbo and an NSX and have yet to find someone who prefers the Pcar over the NSX.

Stock for stock the Pcar will smash the NSX in performance, but performance is not where the comparison stops.

I chose the NSX over a similar year C4S and couldnt be happier with my decision, although the pcars are growing on me (well, GT3s really).

nsxtcy85 said:
The 996 tt awd you mean?

He clearly writes 996 Carrera 4S.

I strongly recommend to test drive a NSX or even better the 97' NSX you think about purchasing.

charleysung did the other way, he sold his NSX to get a 996 turbo he wrote some comparison notes in this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73551

Realy the best thing to do get into your Porsche, drive it to a NSX test drive, drive the NSX, drive home back in the Porsche, sleep a night over it and then make your decision.

I considered a 996 C4S and drove a few examples. I think of it more as a good choice for a daily driver rather than a replacement for an NSX. I still think about the 996 C4S and TT as a daily driver replacement for my current E46 M3. I still want another NSX.

this is exatly the comarison I have been making latley and I have had extensive rides in killer p cars. My best friend almost lives at one of the best p-car builders shops around which is Syntex motersports in west chester pa. My best friend does nothing but go on and on and on about all the 911s hes been trough and how great this and that is...

But as far as im concerned and I just drove his new beater for about 1 hour around. It is a 99 / 996 C2 RED with turbo aero kit, fabspeed exaust, syntex software, lightwight flywheel, jamex race coilovers, 18in HRE wheels and gemballa wing. the car looks and sounds and drives really awsome.
but.....

if you try do a side by side performance comparison of a lightly modded 996 to NSX your gonna have a real hard time saying wich is better performance wise.

NOW, if you want to campare astetics, wow factor (most importantly), rareness, reliability, and reliability after mods. F1 feleling interior road hight and view. THE NSX HAS IT ALL.

I have test driven 4 NSXs now all private owner and thefore they were 30min to a hour each. One is a friend of mines so I actually drove it for a day and it was stock.

I have been way more exposed to crazy rides in killer porsches and I guess that would make me p-car biased but I am not.

I have chosen to go for the NSX because of the ture Mid engine rear wheel drive setup that real cars are made of. The p-car set-up has been dated for years I dont car how much better they make it handle the engine just DOES NOT BELONG OVER THE REAR AXLE less than 1 foot from the rear of the car.

A true sports car is Mid Engine rear wheel end of story. p-cars are great but with NSX as an option that you bet you bolloks to a barn dance (quote brick top in movie Snatch) you will not see more than one a month on the road ever. unlike OH THERE GOES ANOTHER RICH GUY IN A PORSCHE.

And another thing that you have to compare is not even the cost of maintnace because in reality if your buying either this shouldent matter anyway. But what I call the Comfort of Ownership - meaning in a p-car your always hoping something doesent break cause it will be in the shop and it forget the cost just the fact its not in your garage is enough for me. I drive the piss out of every thing ive owned incuding my 97 m3 which can take a beating but the new m3 didnot give me this feeling with all of its problems. just like the 996 does not give me the comfort of beating it.

I love both cars and if I could id probably have both but even though I can technically afford to have both, im too cheap.

I hope this helps cause it helped me lock in my decision on paper (text whatever)

Buy an NSX and drive it like you stole it because thats what honds are for anyway. (highest stolen car) The NSX is the ultimate non-garage queen.

(soo many typos so little time)

I have personal experience with an NSX and a Porsche..

NSX -> Awesome car, however has a tendency of crashing into a quarry and burning for about half and hour, in my experience.

Porsche -> Fantastic car, also has NEVER, and I stress NEVER crashed into a quarry and burnt for 30 minutes from my experience.

This MAY or MAY NOT influence your decision on the purchase.. The question may actually be more like this...

Do I want a 996 Porsche? that has a MUCH lower quarry crash and burn rating? or do I want the NSX, which has been known to cartwheel into a quarry in a fiery explosion?

Buy the porsche and the risk is less, or get the NSX.. and live with the threat of a quarry crash..

YOU CHOOSE

Nice writeup Patricio. Dare I say it... but to me, in comparison to an NSX, a 911 is boring. Its boring looking, inside and out, its seating position is "normal", the view is normal... I love sitting so low in my NSX (a thing I was very uncomfortable with at first), watching to road go past my eyes so fast... and everytime I get out and look at it, I say "what a work of art".... nevermind what others say.

They are both great cars. One is rare, no longer made, mid engine, sleek, ultra reliable. The other is not.

SexyNsx said:

NSX -> Awesome car, however has a tendency of crashing into a quarry and burning for about half and hour, in my experience.

Porsche -> Fantastic car, also has NEVER, and I stress NEVER crashed into a quarry and burnt for 30 minutes from my experience.

This MAY or MAY NOT influence your decision on the purchase.. The question may actually be more like this...

Do I want a 996 Porsche? that has a MUCH lower quarry crash and burn rating? or do I want the NSX, which has been known to cartwheel into a quarry in a fiery explosion?
Buy the porsche and the risk is less, or get the NSX.. and live with the threat of a quarry crash..

YOU CHOOSE

TROLL, WHERE'S THE TROLL PATROL WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!!!

Thank you all for your insights... Everytime I see a NSX on the road, can't help myself to look and stare at that darn thing.. it's tits to my eyes.. I definitely need to test drive because on paper, i'm skeptical on performance difference between my c4s. there's just a big difference in power (again, on paper).....

RPM217 said:

TROLL, WHERE'S THE TROLL PATROL WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!!!

Would you like me to get busted by the troll patrol?:wink:

Listen bro.. no reason for this hostility.. why don't we be pals and just hang out and meet up for some drinks? a little dancing? whatever..

busted.jpg

:biggrin:

MasterMason said:
Hi All.... I'm currently driving a fixed up 02 Carrera 4S and been thinking for a couple of months now to sell it and get a 97 up
02 Carrera 4S is very nice.

You might want to test drive the 97+NSX first. Compare the two, then decide which one you prefer.

Porsches are very nice cars, either way you won't go wrong. One reason to consider the NSX is that it is an all-aluminium car vs. all steel for the Porsche. The NSX will never rust.

For those who wanted to see my car, here are some pics.... But I'll definitely schedule for a test drive...

Also, try to help me sell it fast so I can get into a NSX quickly... Price is $63K. PM me for more details.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 144
SexyNsx said:

YOU CHOOSE
"Tendency of crashing into a quarry" ??? :confused:

Funny... Would u like me to remind you about your past post, about some QUARRY??? :wink:

Well for those who dont know why NSX's crash in a quarry and burn
see thread: Help on value on rebuilt car in PA

SexyNsx said:
Well I have a story for ya of some good value on a damaged and repaired NSX.

I had a 94 NSX.. not many mods.. it had about 60 k miles on it..

My ex girlfriend found me in bed with her brother.(I'm not gay it was an accident/experimentation)

Anyway she was a bit upset, and did something that I would consider innapropriate but perhaps in that particular state of mind it was warranted? I dunno..

She took the keys to my NSX drove it to a quarry, LIT IT ON FIRE, and DROVE IT OFF THE CLIFF. It fell about 15-20 feet and burned for about 20 minutes tops before I got to it.. She also kicked me in the groin that I had to go to the hosipital for due to some semi serious urinary infection.

BUSTED!!! :biggrin:
Anyway.
Just letting you know, no hostility here… just clarifying some facts that u may have missed or left out on how NSX's ends up on quarries :smile:

Last edited:
MasterMason said:
Thank you all for your insights... Everytime I see a NSX on the road, can't help myself to look and stare at that darn thing.. it's tits to my eyes.. I definitely need to test drive because on paper, i'm skeptical on performance difference between my c4s. there's just a big difference in power (again, on paper).....

There is actually very little difference in performance in reality or on paper between an NSX and a 996 C4S. You have to keep the revs up in the NSX more than the Porsche, but it is just as fast when driven hard and runs similar numbers 0-60 and in the quarter mile.

My 1993 NSX was about 3000 pounds and made 261 hp at the rear wheels and felt stronger than the C4S' I have driven. The C4S lacked the high RPM legs of the NSX and had a very flat power curve.

SexyNsx said:

YOU CHOOSE

Uh... I'm a little unsure about the exact meaning of the quoted post, but... I thought I'd share a little something with you; I heard that the car most often crashed on its initial drive home from the dealership ---the day it was purchased--- was a Porsche 911. I don't recall the source. Think it was on a radio program...

For whatever that was worth...

Skylark

MasterMason said:
For those who wanted to see my car, here are some pics.... But I'll definitely schedule for a test drive...

Also, try to help me sell it fast so I can get into a NSX quickly... Price is $63K. PM me for more details.

Your car is really nice modified, it sure looked sweet. At this point, I'm just wondering are you the type who tracks your Porsche often, or just an avg. enthusiast who modifies their cars for look and "street performance"??

I noticed the Roll Bar (or cage??) in your 996 and hence the question.

nsx shine a lot better on racetrack than in street driving. Porsche is equally fast if not faster and you should have very good braking with the rear engine biased. However, since your car is a 4s, I would think the handling is not like a traditional Porsche. I would say that you may or may not like the nsx depends on how much biased you are with your current car's handling.

brahtw8 said:
There is actually very little difference in performance in reality or on paper between an NSX and a 996 C4S. You have to keep the revs up in the NSX more than the Porsche, but it is just as fast when driven hard and runs similar numbers 0-60 and in the quarter mile.

My 1993 NSX was about 3000 pounds and made 261 hp at the rear wheels and felt stronger than the C4S' I have driven. The C4S lacked the high RPM legs of the NSX and had a very flat power curve.
My experience (from owning my '91 NSX and driving a friend's 996 C4S) was very much the same. The performance is similar but the C4S doesn't seem as fast. Also, the NSX seems much more connected to the road (slot-car-like handling) than the 996. The feel of driving the two cars is very, very different, much more different than you might think from their similar performance. I very much prefer the feel of the NSX. Try driving them and see which one you like better.

I have owned both 02' C4S w/ tiptronic trans and several NSX's. I have to agree with Ken. I was unimpressed with the acceleration of the C4S. The Porsche sits higher off the ground too. Try the NSX. When you driving a NSX you feel like you are right on the road. Like many magazine columnists have stated, " the NSX makes you feel like a better driver than you actually are."

I guess we all agree that the NSX and the 996, performance wise, is in the same league,

I am a great fan of both

So now lets not even touch the reliabilty issue cause thats a dead horse, and the NSX low driving hight wich is un-replicated in anything without a 100k plus price tag.

Now if I am not mistaken the reason most people are here is this

E-bay search 911 for sale = 605 results:eek:
E-bay search NSX for sale = 14 results

than you still have that damm underprivlaged cousin, the Boxster at = 179 results

total bug-eyed creatures in your rear view mirror for sale = 784:biggrin:

plus add another 152 New beetles for that rear veiw mirror count.
Ouuch! that was a low blow! I was just kidding on the last one.

than your thinking how many are out there can serve me an ass whooping?
E-bay search 911 + turbo = 130 results = Not rare enough for me!
Number of people who ask if its a turbo then sigh if its not? 90%:wink: j/k

The NSX also does not live in the shadow of a superior model and doesent have that hard to describe........I couldent afford the upgrades feeling....... (not meant as an insult to anyone driving a 996. but I scincerly get that feeling its kinda like getting a WRX instead of STI) its wierds me out.

MasterMason--
By the way your 996 looks really really great roll cage and all must handle like a champ with the 4WD

Last edited:
Back