Ridicules short cut words in E-mails

Two Inch Long said:
And don't take this personally cmhs75 but "Ridicules" is spelled wrong, its supposed to be "Ridiculous". Everybody makes mistakes and has their own style of writing.
According to the rules of grammar, the latter sentence should read, "Everybody makes mistakes and has his own style of writing." :D

Sure, you can have your own way of communicating, if you want. And if it does not follow the standards and rules that are part of any language, people may form an opinion of you based on that alone - just as people may form a different opinion if your writing and communications do follow the rules. You can communicate in whatever way you like... but you can't stop others from forming opinions as a result. Your words, your choice.

Two Inch Long said:
And don't take this personally cmhs75 but "Ridicules" is spelled wrong, its supposed to be "Ridiculous". Everybody makes mistakes and has their own style of writing. It has nothing to do with the level of intelligence.

Since he was referring to a friend I assumed he meant “[My friend] ridicules short cut words in E-mails.”

A bit of a shortcut in it’s own right but otherwise logical enough.

Why would it be HIS own style? :confused:
Shouldn't it be: His or HER own style?
Come on you guys you're being so grammatically correct, why not be politically correct too?

nsxtasy said:
According to the rules of grammar, the latter sentence should read, "Everybody makes mistakes and has his own style of writing." :D

According to strict grammatical conventions, the term "his" is supposed to be gender-neutral, in that it is used to refer to an individual who may be male or female. Unfortunately, it is sometimes seen by feminists as a term expressing preference or superiority of males over females. What's worse is that the incorrect, genderless plural "their" is sometimes used intentionally for reasons of "political correctness".

So since we're really getting down to nitpicking now, how come no one objected to the incorrect usage of "it's" instead of "its"? ("it's" = contraction of "it is", "its" shows possession or belonging)

nsxtasy said:
We convey who we are in our writings. Everything from our vocabulary, to our spelling, to our grammar, reflects on our language ability, our intelligence, and our educational level. Those with poor vocabulary and/or spelling and/or grammar sound uneducated. The use of such abbreviated spellings sounds exactly the same as any other misspellings - it conveys a lack of education/intelligence, and a lack of sophistication. Thus, each of us has a conscious choice, between learning proper language usage, or using abbreviations that make us sound uneducated.

I would suggest an exception for those for whom English is not their native language, since it can be assumed (whether true or not) that their ability in their own language is greater, and knowledge of a second language (or more!) is an accomplishment in and of itself.

So you are saying you judge people based on there language ability? When it comes to work maybe, but when your friend is sending you an e-mail? or you're posting on a internet forum? please lets leave all the formalities behind, we aren't english gentlemen or royalty.

But I do agree to a certain extent. That e-mail that was used as an example is ridiculous =P Based on just the writting I would assume that person is still in high school.

Alright guys, this thread has turned into an English class. I'm going to send my friend an E-mail telling him that he can spell in which ever way he likes and ill choose to read or not. And meanwhile, I mad an appointment with another one of my friends so we could get together and try to write a simple program that can translate shorthand words into real words. If I succeed, all will be happy.

But for now, let's kill this thread. Let it sink to the bottom. I'll let you know if I do make that program.

Sorry I just had to post. It seems your friend is rubbing off on you.

mad = made?

haha, I'm just playing around =P

Back