Rhino ramps

Does anyone have success using Rhino ramps?

Just picked up a set today,the more expensive one with extra wide surface. Unfortunately seems a bit tough to back the NSX onto the ramp. The ramp is quite slippery. I did made it half way up, gave up before doing some major damages. It was not worth the risk.

I guess I will give it another try after I pick up two piece of 5' 5" long wood from home depot to back the ramp against the wall and prevent it from sliding.

*Sorry for posting on the wrong section. This post was intended forTechnical and Do-It-Yourself section.

Last edited:
nsxsupra said:
Does anyone have success using Rhino ramps?

Just picked up a set today,the more expensive one with extra wide surface. Unfortunately seems a bit tough to back the NSX onto the ramp. The ramp is quite slippery. I did made it half way up, gave up before doing some major damages. It was not worth the risk.

I guess I will give it another try after I pick up two piece of 5' 5" long wood from home depot to back the ramp against the wall and prevent it from sliding.
If you're pulling it into a trailer, have you ever though of adding a winch? I've seen guys use those with good success

From the sound of what you are saying, I get the impression you are using the ramps to get access to the underside of the car. If so, I believe you will have issues with most ramp setups unless you have a rough floor (to limit sliding) or you bolt the ramp to the floor.

Are these the plastic gray ones with little rubber feet on the bottom?

I've had trouble with them slipping/pushing, too ... and not just with an NSX. Get yourself a piece of scrap carpet ... about 5' x 5', and put the ramps on it. This should hold them in place, and will also be more comfortable to lay on while under your car.

PaulL said:
Are these the plastic gray ones with little rubber feet on the bottom?
Yes, that is the one.

I would like to back the car onto the ramp to do oil changes and clean/polish the exhaust occassionally.

Got them and use to use them when changing the oil filter. They do slip a little and I had more success when coasting onto them. Otherwise, one wheel spun while the other didn't and I ended up with one wheel on the ramp and the other only partially supported. My car is lowered with Ground Control coilover springs.

I have just gotten into the habit of using a jack and jack stands instead with the ramps as a backup.

Guess I've been lucky...I bought a set of Rhino ramps about a year ago or so and have been doing all of my oil changes with them. No problems with slipping at all with my unfinished garage floor. I back the NSX up and pull my other cars right up on them, no problems at all with them slipping.

na14yu said:
...No problems with slipping at all with my unfinished garage floor. I back the NSX up and pull my other cars right up on them, no problems at all with them slipping.

The surface on which you use Rhino Ramps determines their usefulness. On a smooth, sealcoated asphalt driveway they're useless. On untreated concrete, they're fine. From my experience, I've been most successful driving up the ramps with authority, not coasting up. I found the Rhino Ramp company very responsive to customer problems - they may have additional suggestions for you.

BTW, since I got a set of 4 good jackstands, I no longer bother with ramps.

Good luck.

And if you change the oil with the car's butt raised higher than the front, you won't be draining all the oil out because the drain plug is on the rear of the oil pan. I use a single floor jack by the right rear wheel, and remove the wheel to drain the oil and change the filter. I usually drop the jack back down as far as possible while draining the oil to get it all out the quickest.

Jeff

Jeff A said:
And if you change the oil with the car's butt raised higher than the front, you won't be draining all the oil out because the drain plug is on the rear of the oil pan. Jeff

After fully secured the ramp from sliding. I have made it up slowly and smoothly, and finished polishing the exhaust.

Yes, I agree, the oil drain plug at around 15degree angle up, once the car is back up onto the ramp.

I will probably use my floor jack for the oil change or use the Griot's oil extractor (just wonder if it will extract the sludge that might be in the bottom of oilpan)

Back