Retrofiting: TL Brembos on NSX?!

How many of you ever thought of this?!....The TL if I'm correct it a 4 piston caliper, the NSX is two, but they almost share the same bolt pattern or do when mounting.

I think the only thing is what rotor to use, Lengend GS, TL, or NSX....also maybe hub offset to fit there rotors.....I've used NSX calipers on my Type-R, which was a direct bolt on bascially, how many of you NSX would consider this brake swap?!

Some guy on Honda-tech is trying to make this work for ITR owners....any NSX owners here have inputs?!

TL_brembo.jpg

The fact that you can get a fitment already in the brembo line with thier grand turismo series is probably why there has not been too much buz about this conversion.

docjohn said:
The fact that you can get a fitment already in the brembo line with thier grand turismo series is probably why there has not been too much buz about this conversion.

True, but this is a cheaper, alternative route, if it doesn't require to much modification, just wanna see what people think.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I am pretty sure the Nsx also sports a 4 caliper piston so I dont see the performance advantage of just swapping out the calipers.

true, but they look hot.

How much cheaper?Tire rack sells the grand turismo kit,and I'm sure other vendors would undercut that.Oem stuff usually is not bargain basement.Let us know some numbers.

Yes I am one to under cut that. Now if you are lucky enough to find a TL in the salvage yard (doubt it) then you may save a few bucks (but you will still have a lot of head aches as it will NOT be a bolt on kit. If you buy the TL brakes from the dealer, chances are you will pay more than buying the Brembo GT from me.

RP-Motorsports said:
Yes I am one to under cut that. Now if you are lucky enough to find a TL in the salvage yard (doubt it) then you may save a few bucks (but you will still have a lot of head aches as it will NOT be a bolt on kit. If you buy the TL brakes from the dealer, chances are you will pay more than buying the Brembo GT from me.

how about if you were able to simply "find" a set :biggrin: , how hard would it be to just swap the calipers?

Remind me not to bring my TL A-Spec to Bridgewater for service! :eek: :biggrin:

Anything is possible. I have a customer/friend who put on Alcon calipers from a 300ZX aftermarket kit and some Baer calipers from an Eagle Talon aftermarket kit (make by Alcon) and retrofitted the Talon 13" rotors and got everything to fit on his NSX front/back. Anyone with some machine shop experience can make a bracket, and make a custom hat to make any 2pc aftermarket rotor fit the NSX. Also you could get the TL caliper to fit on the stock rotor (if it is the same thickness as the TL's) with a custom bracket. 16" or possibly 17" aftermarket or oem front wheels may be required due to the caliper size and placement.

You can see the custom set-up in these old pics in this thread.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23821

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I am pretty sure the Nsx also sports a 4 caliper piston so I dont see the performance advantage of just swapping out the calipers.

Nope. 2 piston up front, 1 rear.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
2 piston or 2 pair ? But besides that if you are just looking to sport calipers that say brembo there are easier alternatives for this.

The calipers are bigger, which will alow more suface contact and greater heat to decipate from it. Plus both will cost under 700.00 for both I think, I have to double check with my acura parts hook up, as far as fitting under stock rims, I don't think it will work.....the brembo logo is not visual on the caliper like the picture above, but it is marked brembo.

hey guys i actually just found this thread by accident. anyhow, im the one that is doing the retro fit on honda-tech. the TL brembos have the same attachments points on the knuckle as the nsx calipers do. so in theory they would fit just fine. ohnly problem at the moment is actually bolting them up. the knuckle hole is smaller then the caliper mounting hole. im going to timesert the hole on the caliper to changet he hole diameter on the caliper to see if that would work.

FWIW, the TL brembos are no more then 600 without a hookup from acura.

xdriver said:
hey guys i actually just found this thread by accident. anyhow, im the one that is doing the retro fit on honda-tech. the TL brembos have the same attachments points on the knuckle as the nsx calipers do. so in theory they would fit just fine. ohnly problem at the moment is actually bolting them up. the knuckle hole is smaller then the caliper mounting hole. im going to timesert the hole on the caliper to changet he hole diameter on the caliper to see if that would work.

FWIW, the TL brembos are no more then 600 without a hookup from acura.

If it works, let me know.... Im dieing to due this. I have the hook-up :biggrin: Better yet, I am the hook up.

for the NSX crowd it would be a mod worth looking into since you guys already have bigger wheels then us ITR people that can accomadate them. for the retro fit im using the TL rotors as well.

as mentioned before, the TL brembos are a 4 pistons caliper (2 piston on each side of the caliper) where the nsx calipers are a 2 pistons caliper with the pistons sitting in the inner portion of the caliper.

my price is 500 for the pair :) i dont think this conversion will cost that much in comparison to the brembo BBK available. im guessing this conversion will be 800-1000 with NEW OEM parts.

xdriver said:
for the NSX crowd it would be a mod worth looking into since you guys already have bigger wheels then us ITR people that can accomadate them. for the retro fit im using the TL rotors as well.

as mentioned before, the TL brembos are a 4 pistons caliper (2 piston on each side of the caliper) where the nsx calipers are a 2 pistons caliper with the pistons sitting in the inner portion of the caliper.

my price is 500 for the pair :) i dont think this conversion will cost that much in comparison to the brembo BBK available. im guessing this conversion will be 800-1000 with NEW OEM parts.

imagine the customer that get NSX calipers on his/her TL MT or A-SPEC :wink:

Here is link for the ITR thread on Honda-Tech - looks promising!

xdriver said:
... problem at the moment is actually bolting them up. the knuckle hole is smaller then the caliper mounting hole. im going to timesert the hole on the caliper to changet he hole diameter on the caliper to see if that would work....

Timesert - found this discussed while reading the aforementioned link; not sure if anyone else was as unfamiliar as I was with this term so provided the link!
(I thought it was a typo in xdriver's post - LOL!)

Last edited:
yes, thats the thread. migs and me (xdriver on nsxprime and imola-red dc2 on honda-tech) hopefully it should be done soon.

in my opinion, i still the the 05-06 RL calipers are alot niceer then the TL brembos. i believe they are all aluminum with the acura logo engraved on them.

xdriver - would there not be a corrosion problem with dissimilar metals of steel insert in the aluminum caliper body?

Edit - I guess the bolt is steel anyway ......dooooh !!!!!!!!!!

As I wade through all the extraneous stuff on the H-T thread (makes you really appreciate 'Prime!) it looks like the main obstacles on the ITR are the difference in the hub/rotor & the thread size in the caliper. It appears the thread issue wil be resolved with the "timesert" but I'm unclear about the rotor compatibility with the NSX - will the OEM rotor work as-is with the TL caliper? What are the relative diameters? Is there any offset difference between the rotor location with the TL vs NSX calipers (bear in mind NSX is sliding but TL is fixed)

Hrant said:
We tried to this swap locally several months ago. It was a no go. Al Terpak or NorCalWhite (Joseph) can give more details as to why not.

PM sent to these guys for their comments

It won't work. :frown: It will not fit under a 16" rim and then your rotor offset is different, and then the rotor has to be bigger to deal with the arch shape of the rotor and so on and so on. Better to work with a kit that will fit such as the Brembo or the Wilwood setup.

Joseph and I spent a good number of hours trying to make this work. Joseph being the expert machinist that he is knows how to measure these things out and it simply wouldn't be practical for what you are getting. Also other kits are lighter than this caliper which is much lighter than the stock NSX caliper.

Brembos are junk. They flex, they fade and they just plain suck. The only thing you're paying for is the name. The NSX OEM brakes are even better than they are. If you want a true upgrade get a set of StopTechs or AP Racings

Yes the AP racing setup should be good although I'm not sure who is still handling those. Possibly Science of Speed. I like the Stoptech rotors but I'm not sure of their BBK. Probably would be fine. I'd prefer the AP however if I could really afford them.

Finally it's not the Brembo caliper or rotor that fades, but rather the pads you use with them. Any brake system will exhibit brake fade if the wrong pads are used for the conditions you're trying to work with. Everyone I've talked to in the business has given me the same advice on this.
:eek:

Back