Retired by 50 anyone?

I'm kinda in your boat,but for me my off timr becomes family(2 young boys) time.Travel will be a big part of vaca.We want to personaly broaden our sons worldly experiences as they get old enough to process that stuff. I've kinda had "my" time as I married later in life 41.Now its our time.

I agree. I'm 38 and have a 6 y/o son. Even if I retire by 50, my son who is 18 won't want to hang out with me. He will be starting a life on his own. So I would think it would be best to travel and see the world with him while he/I are young.

Sometimes I wish you could "retire" from 18 to 35 and then work for the rest of your life. Think of it as a loan that you pay back. At least you could have more fun while you are young.:biggrin: I know it is a stupid idea but the idealist in me thinks it would be fun.

I agree. I'm 38 and have a 6 y/o son. Even if I retire by 50, my son who is 18 won't want to hang out with me. He will be starting a life on his own. So I would think it would be best to travel and see the world with him while he/I are young.

Sometimes I wish you could "retire" from 18 to 35 and then work for the rest of your life. Think of it as a loan that you pay back. At least you could have more fun while you are young.:biggrin: I know it is a stupid idea but the idealist in me thinks it would be fun.

It's not a stupid idea. I have thought the same thing but you know how a lot of people are they wouldn't pay it back. Now get out there and work so you can pay for all the lazy people to sit on their asses not from 18-35 but for their whole life. Just think how early you could retire if you didn't have to pay for them too.:biggrin:

unfort (my opinion anyway) when kids are young they don't give two shits about seeing stuff. My kids are almost 12 and 14 and complained about walking around Washington DC 2 days ago.... i can't wait to fly them to London to have them bitch endlessly.... then to Paris for more bitching... ahahah

I would have been bored at that age too.... so I think the ideal age is probably 16-17 or maybe right out of college go on a big vacation before they start working?

PASTY!!! :D :D :D (Tasty was her nickname...fucking whore...)

I hope she has developed some sort of horrible death sentence disease...she worked every fucking angle that whore could from the start until the miserable end.....

Btw Scot - How is twisty doing? Or was it pasty?

PASTY!!! :D :D :D (Tasty was her nickname...fucking whore...)

I hope she has developed some sort of horrible death sentence disease...she worked every fucking angle that whore could from the start until the miserable end.....

Don't hold anything back.:biggrin:

OK - I am far, far from retirement. But, I kinda have a dumb question. What are you guys going to do with your free time? I have a busy medical practice but when I am off or not busy then I go stir crazy. I don't mind taking a few days off once in a while but really what would I do with 5 years or 10 years off. Don't get me wrong - I have plenty of hobbies but that doesn't mean I want to do them on a daily basis. For eg, I love cars, working on them, going to the dealerships, tracking them etc etc. That doesn't mean I want to be a mechanic or a car sales man.
my career was professional salesperson (high tech / software last 23) and my approach to working was always that is was a job, not my life; my personal time and - when my family life began -is / was far more important to me than my paid job.

since i got out of the af in the summer of '75 i've made a point of working for 2-5 years @ a gig, then take anywhere from 3-30+ months off. my wife is a career person - much more professionally-minded than i - so in addition to our savings / retirement funds, cash flow has always been fine (we manage our expenses conservatively.).

over the years, i've moved up / to different roles in US and intl companies, had a great time and did ok financially. we frequently included our kids business travel so our boys great up with a broader view of the world.

as for what i do with my time now, well... it's obvious i spend time on prime... i like the community. but that has happened with more frequency over the past 1-2 years because i've been working on a series of writing projects so use prime as a social outlet. with this round of "time off" (not working for a company), i've taught myself guitar, begun keeping bees, gotten in more bicycle riding, a bit more photography and now that i've told my reader-audience i'll begin doing consulting in october, am completing my professional book project while booking consulting gigs for the fall / year-end.
i'm also the house-dude, which i love: i enjoy taking care of the house / creatures and my wife. (i cook but don't do windows ;)

save serious illness, i imagine i'll continue this process for the remainder of my life - all aspects are enjoyable and give me a well-balanced life.

to others i would say, "what 3 things would you like to spend more time doing if you weren't working for someone else?" then ask yourself "how do i get there?"

i never missed a summer / birthday / family event because of work... and i have the photos, videos and warm memories to help me remember as the years go by.

rant mode off ;)

I'm 21...wish I could retire now...I've been working since 15 years old nonstop...seems like way longer

However 50 seems perfect.

The question is what would you be doing in order to retire that early...and what will you be doing after you retire.

*I plan on being a (independent) Financial Advisor/Planner* Hopefully that makes me enough money to do the things I want to do at a young age and also allow me to stash money in the mattress....

After retirement...I've always told myself I would love to teach.

I would like to teach a college course and explain life to my students...rather than telling them the lies that come written in text books...Like how Christopher Columbus discovered America...after there were MILLIONS of people already living in it...

That would be ideal...however WE ALL KNOW THERES ALWAYS SOMETHING THAT GOES WRONG!

Hopefuly as juicy as paris model/microsoftjohn saga:wink:

Well I'm looking at retiring from the Marine Corps, I have 9 years in, so I'll be 39ish. Then maybe do law enforcement for a few years after that.

my ex boss 74 multi millionaire, not retired. that old man keeps working. owns 4 dealer lots worth over 10 mil + properties world wide. Kids all grown and wealthy as well... but, he's always complaining that he's broke and owns his 800K house out right. Oh and did i mention he just bought a f430 at his age. SICK! I have met and chatted with a lot of wealthy people and noticed that it's a game to see how much more they can make and never use it. Basically how much power they have in there own world! do i make any sense or am i just drunk. cause i am.. lol!

I retired yesterday. Got my self a card board box down by the river.:biggrin:

Well I'm looking at retiring from the Marine Corps, I have 9 years in, so I'll be 39ish. Then maybe do law enforcement for a few years after that.

I thought you have to be in for 15 years (partial retirement) 20 years to obtain retirement (50%) depending on when you enlisted. The only other way to obtain retirement out of the military under the partial to full retirement was a Medical discharge.

If you really wanna retire early, go do a few tours in Iraq. The bad guys should be able to hook you up! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:biggrin:

If you really wanna retire early, go do a few tours in Iraq. The bad guys should be able to hook you up! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:biggrin:

Been there a couple times already, no early retirement for me yet! ;)
I'm over due to go, un/fortunately, it looks like I won't be going anytime soon. Soonest I would be out there would be sometime in 2010, but I'm sure we'll still be there then. :biggrin::tongue::wink:

There are a couple of books out there about this. Basically travel / live while you are young, rack up a bunch of debt and then start "working" at age 50 or so and pay back you debt.

Of course if you were the typical welfare homey you just would continue on right past 50......

Back