Replace my beater with a Dodge Stealth VR4?

sjs

Legendary Member
Need to replace my beater and am looking at a 91 Dodge Stealth VR4 turbo. Anyone know of common serious problems I should check for, particularly from the first year for this model? Obviously, anything turbo needs extra careful inspection, but are there other issues with this car, such as the 4WD etc.?

The steering is a bit funky on those earlier Stealths...Also, the Turbo's are probably in need of a rebuild or replacement ($$$$$)
And most of the gizmo's seem to break on those. Adjustable suspension/Adjustable Wing etc etc. A fun car nontheless...

Spend the extra for the real version- 94+ 3000GT VR4 (yellow is the way to go; I wrecked one of them so I think their is 12 or 13 left in the US)

Advantages include:

1) Nicer body style
2) 4 wheel steering
3) 18" chrome wheels
4) mororized front/rear spoilers
5) nicer colors available, that's for sure

don't do it... I hate those big heavy things... FYI, I'm no authority on the cars, I've never owned or driven one before. I've ridden in one, and wasn't impressed at all. If you want a 'beater' that might be as fun as the NSX, I would look at Miata, MR2, M3 E30 or E36, Subaru WRX, Porsche 944S, Lotus Elan... I don't think I could enjoy driving a 4000lb. car after driving the NSX. My beater is a '87 MR2 that has some weight reduction and aftermarket suspension. Its not very powerfull, but its a LOT of fun as well.

Back around '87, I put a down payment on a MR2. I wound up buying my accountant's 911 instead. Looking back, I think I made a mistake, and would have been happier, in the long run, with the MR2. Heck, I bet I'd still own it. The most fun I've ever had in a car was in a Fiat X-1/9. I consider my NSX to be a full sized MR2/Fiat.

The VR-4 is an okay car, good power and handling, but they are heavy and the brakes stink. But I would never buy a used Turbo car because you have no idea how it was treated and if it was maintained properly.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. My requirements rule out most of the cars I’d prefer, which include most of those you’ve mentioned (except the BMWs). My NSX is my everyday car so I don’t really need the beater to be particularly fun, that’s just a bonus. What I need is something with a hatch that I can use to haul things bigger than will fit in the NSX, take my Dad fishing (with poles assembled and over gravel or muddy roads), and carry a third person even if very cramped. But, I don’t want front wheel drive. I like the 300ZX but hate the 2+2 versions, and they are far from ideal in the snow with anything less than full snow tires. The list is getting pretty narrow.

I prefer the Mitsubishi variant, but don’t really care about some of the benefits listed above about the 94+. I prefer to do the steering
smile.gif
, I’ll buy different wheels, and the spoilers are mostly gimmicks considering my needs. The one I found is nearly pin straight and the red paint very good, which is as good as anything else for a car that won't be kept particularly clean anyway.

Any more suggestions or thoughts?

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 10 October 2001).]

sounds to me like you need a Range Rover,think about it?what more could you ask for?it is all aluminum body and engine like your NSX!you can get an early '90,s model for about 5k.i've owned my '91 since new w/ no mech./elec. problems and it has 105k mi.this vehicle holds plenty of fishing gear and is one of the best off road and snow 4x4s you can get and still has some class!

Originally posted by fueledbymetal:
Go for the Nissan 240SX. It's relatively light, rear wheel drive, hatch, reliable, decent aftermarket and fun to drive.

Yes, we think a lot alike. I have extensive experience with Datsun/Nissan so the 240SX was already on my short list. However, a decent one in the right years for best suspension etc will cost nearly as much as the Stealth, and probably much more once I decide it's too slow and turbo it. I haven't ruled it out yet, but I'm hoping for something I can drive without constantly wishing for more HP.

Originally posted by MAJOR STONER:
[BThe most fun I've ever had in a car was in a Fiat X-1/9. I consider my NSX to be a full sized MR2/Fiat.[/B]

I second this one. My 1976 Fiat X1/9 was sooo much fun! - it was even more fun and tossable than the NSX, I know - what am I saying - this is blasphemy!! (but true IMHO). I also had a lot of fun with my 1976 Lancia Scorpion which I turbocharged and enjoyed for a few years.

Most fun ever? Any car, anytime? My 1967 Austin Mini Cooper S. It was the time of peace and love among all young people - he, he. That was a real blast!!

Nothing has ever, or will ever, compare to my '67Mini Cooper. I'm trying to test drive a new Cooper S but I haven't had a chance yet.

My beater car will be a 92 S10 or something similar.... just for when I need to haul things that don't fit in the NSX... which is almost everything!
smile.gif

OK so you guys have an NSX in the garage, and then you have a cheap car in the other garage as a daily commuter? I don't get it.... Is it because you spend all your savings for an NSX or what? That's gotta be harsh.

Yes, harsh indeed!

After I spent all my college tuition money on my NSX, my daily commuter is now a BMX bicycle and I can only afford to drink soy milk for all my meals... But hey, you only live once, right?

biggrin.gif

Back on topic...

I owned a '93 3000GT VR4 back in 1993. The car was very gimmicky with active aero systems, cabin-adjustable exhaust notes (sport/touring), adjustable suspension settings, 4-wheel steering / drive, etc... All sounded good on paper, but a lot less effective in practice. Its weight was also a major setback.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed my ownership experience. Back in 1993, the car attracted a LOT of attention in the streets and among my co-workers, and it had good performance in the streets.

After a while, I started longing for something in a rear-wheel drive and thus sold the VR4 and got into the Supra/300ZX TT thing during the mid-90s... but that's a whole different story...

Originally posted by Jeffry:
OK so you guys have an NSX in the garage, and then you have a cheap car in the other garage as a daily commuter? I don't get it.... Is it because you spend all your savings for an NSX or what? That's gotta be harsh.

When you drive one of the finest sports cars on the planet, i think the natural progression is REGRESSION.
smile.gif

My beater is a 94 Land Rover Discovery. I love it. Bought it 3 years ago for 13k and have put 40k trouble free miles on it so far. It now has 110k miles and has only been in the shop one time for a minor problem. They are very reliable, however the gas mileage stinks. I think I get around 12mpg. But you can't beat the ride.

Owned a 95 3000GT as well. I wouldn't use that car as a beater car. The VR4 has its fair share of tranny/transfer case problems.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Back