• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing rear axle nut

I've managed to change my rear rotors and brake pads without issue, but I am a bit nervous to make an attempt at taking out the rear axle nut. Need to remove the axle nuts so I can have access to the spindle and replace two rear studs.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the axle end nut or can I re-use the old one? Also, are there any tips to remove this? This is for an '97 NSX.

(image taken from web)
axle_09.jpg

Impact gun tool air thingy

Mind the correct torque when fastening.

90366-SP0-003 NUT, SPINDLE

36MM impact socket, impact gun would be the easiest or 1/2 breaker bar. I think the torque is 242 lb-ft. use a drift to stake spindle nut shoulder against the driveshaft.

Last edited:
My cordless impact wrench is limited to 200ft lbs, so I might be using a breaker bar instead. Is it recommended to break the nut with the car on the ground and wheel attached? And I assume the spindle would come out freely once the end nut is removed?

Following steps:
1. Unstake the end nut.
2. ?

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
Is it recommended to break the nut with the car on the ground and wheel attached? And I assume the spindle would come out freely once the end nut is removed?

Yes to your first question. The spindle can be stuck in the housing and very difficult to remove.

You might want to reconsider taking the rear hub apart. I don't believe that you need to in order to replace the studs. I believe (although it has been a couple years) that I was able to get the old studs out and install SPS long studs without pulling the hub apart. It was tight getting the old short studs out, but I found a spot that would work by rotating the stud to a certain position and it cleared all the stuff back there, caliper was off as I was replacing pads at the time as well. Long studs went in by grinding just a bit of the flaired retaining head in one spot.

You shouldn't need to take out the axle to replace a stud (as mentioned above).

To remove the axle nut:
1. remove wheel
2. punch out center piece on wheel
3. install wheel
4. use 3/4" drive 36mm socket + breaker bar + cheater through wheel center
5. profit

I ended up twisting off a 1/2" drive breaker bar without much fanfare. Fortunately I used Craftsman 1/2" which Sears replaced and I bought a 3/4" drive breaker + socket set from them. Worked great.

Drew

Back