Remind Me to Never Complain...

...about the cost of maintaining my NSX.

Was down at a dock looking at other people's boats, saw a Ferrari in the parking lot. Upon examination, it appeared to be a mint condition 328 GTS.

Owner arrived shortly thereafter (initially concerned I was too interested in the car), and we spoke for about 30 minutes.

The car is a 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS with about 28,000 miles on it, and it looked operating room clean. I asked questions about parts availability, servicing, etc. He told me that to change the belts on the engine (and perform the other major service items due at the time) was $6,000. And this was an "easy" Ferrari to work on as the mechanics could remove the engine hatch and "insert boards" to jack the engine up to gain access to the belts. He claimed that some other Ferrari models required the engine to be dropped out of the bottom of the chassis, and that costs could approach $10,000. :eek:

Wow!

Auraraptor said:
V12 Ferrari maintaince bills can hit 5 figures, but on average never more then once every 5/6 years.

Only reason for the average of 5/6 years that comes to mind is that these cars usually don't see more than average of 3.000-5.000mls/year:tongue:

Parts for Ferraris will always be expensive due in no small part to the limited build quantities. The cost for the parts has to be spread over a smaller number. The dealers also know their clients can afford the price to play.

Porsche can get a bit pricey but the newer models have made improvements. A factory rebuilt C2 996 engine can be picked up for around $10,000. An older aircooled would cost a lot more for a rebuild from your local wrench. A guy just post a quote for a rebuild on his 91SC 3.0 in the latest issue of excellence. He said he was quoted $20,000 for the engine rebuild. You can buy 911 SC's all day long in the $12 - $15K range.

For $20K I could send my car to SOS for a 3.8 and add the suspension of my choice.

91 NSX said:
...about the cost of maintaining my NSX.

etc. He told me that to change the belts on the engine (and perform the other major service items due at the time) was $6,000.
Wow!

My buddy that just bought a 328GTS is paying $3500 for an independent mechanic in Newport Beach to do the 30k service. Add $1k for a clutch since evreything is out and the price isn't too bad since the guy steam cleans the engine and makes everything look new before putting it back together.

The Boxster set me back ~$9k earlier this year since I decided I wanted to get a glass rear window (my fiance's car) and do the 60k service. Getting everything else done (power top had problems after new top was installed) at the same time surprised the heck out of me for what is a relatively inexpensive car on the used car market. Basically the new top, service, and tires cost ~35-40% of a good used Boxster. At least the 328 servicing is a smaller percentage of the initial cost.

Back