Reliability vs. Modifications?!?

Originally posted by madfast:
yes I still have it. I am in bensonhurst/ bay ridge...hey can I have a ride in your car? Never been in an nsx b4 and would like to know how it feels before I buy one. email me at [email protected] where are you? Don't tell me you own that red one with fog lites by shore rd.

posted 17 May 2002 22:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just sold my 3000GT VR4 and have $25.5 liquidity...let me know if u want to come down to meet my price if not...take it easy buddy! contact me at [email protected]
Regards,

Dave

Do you really still have it?

Originally posted by David:
Send it to TX. MTI did a couple of vettes for a friend of mine and he runs 9s.
That's what I should have done in the first place.

------------------

2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

ck,
well this guy is suppose to get back to me tomorrow to see if he manage to get a loan to pay for my car. yes still have it.

o-ace,
ur welcome buddy. My friend owns a 97 c5 vette 6speeder and he has triflo exahust, fuel Pressure riser, less restrictive MAS, and he did the thing where u hook up a small module to reprogram the fuel maps...his car is pretty quick. he ran 12.78sec at ATco, NJ. oh, yeah, he is fully gutted...the car stinks so bad. he never dynoed it though...he is too cheap to put out the $$$. You have a nice car...why don't u just turbocharge ur c5 with lingerfelter's 6psi TT kit? guranteed 450hp. take care!

ACR,
engine management? no...all you need is a S-AFC from apex to adjust the fuel curve, Greedy or hks EGT, greedy a/f ratio meter, msd knock sonsor and that's it. since ur not pumping more than .6bar it is no problem...anything higher than that will cause detonation cuz the compression is too high. As far as the oil lines...you can just drill 4 holes on the oil pan and weld 4 stainless steel lines goint to the turbo...of course 2 of those will be higher up in the oil pan and the other two below it. It will lube itself cuz as you have the engine running the oil pressure goes up lubing the wole engine and even pressurizes ur oil lines as well. water cooling u ask? buy ball bearing turbos like the 16G apexi' cores wihich don't require water cooling. as far as space...from looking at Lingerfelter's/ Corky Bell twin turbo kits...just mount it after the headers like near the rear exaust of the nsx (just like Bell's kitt). that's not the ideal place to mount it cuz the exhaust pressure is higher nearest to the exhaust ports. but since this car is designed to be an NA, it will not pose any idling or stalling problems. you basically drive it like a na until u want ur turbos to kick and press more of the gas pedal...of course, it takes a little more time for these turbos to kick cuz they are mounted so far off from the engine...but that's ok cuz ur car will be making power from the engine way b4 ur turbos kick. trust me...from a guy who built a 450hp vr4 and my bro's 94supra TT.

[This message has been edited by madfast (edited 21 May 2002).]

david allen,
not coming to comptech's defense but the say bhp is 390hp or so. that's at the engine and 14% drivetrain loss...u do the math. have u run at the track? see hp is important...but if u can run low 12's with 346hp...I'd be pretty happy wouldn't u be?

The setup as you describe will not drain oil fast enough. Its been tried, and I've seen some of the failed setups.

ACR,
engine management? no...all you need is a S-AFC from apex to adjust the fuel curve, Greedy or hks EGT, greedy a/f ratio meter, msd knock sonsor and that's it. since ur not pumping more than .6bar it is no problem...anything higher than that will cause detonation cuz the compression is too high. As far as the oil lines...you can just drill 4 holes on the oil pan and weld 4 stainless steel lines goint to the turbo...of course 2 of those will be higher up in the oil pan and the other two below it. It will lube itself cuz as you have the engine running the oil pressure goes up lubing the wole engine and even pressurizes ur oil lines as well. water cooling u ask? buy ball bearing turbos like the 16G apexi' cores wihich don't require water cooling. as far as space...from looking at Lingerfelter's/ Corky Bell twin turbo kits...just mount it after the headers like near the rear exaust of the nsx (just like Bell's kitt). that's not the ideal place to mount it cuz the exhaust pressure is higher nearest to the exhaust ports. but since this car is designed to be an NA, it will not pose any idling or stalling problems. you basically drive it like a na until u want ur turbos to kick and press more of the gas pedal...of course, it takes a little more time for these turbos to kick cuz they are mounted so far off from the engine...but that's ok cuz ur car will be making power from the engine way b4 ur turbos kick. trust me...from a guy who built a 450hp vr4 and my bro's 94supra TT.

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

acr,
hmm interesteting...then how about installing an electric luber? that should work...was the car allowed to cool down when the oil lines were connected to the oil pan?

acr,
hmm interesteting...then how about installing an electric luber? that should work...was the car allowed to cool down when the oil lines were connected to the oil pan?

I use one of the scavanging pumps from a NASCAR differential and it works fine. It does not take much oil to properly lube a turbo, so the big issue is getting it to flow through and not back up at all. I have not had any problems with mine. Putting the turbo low in the car makes for a very simple and clean installation. Just use the proper restrictor on the inlet to get the right amount of oil in the turbo.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 21 May 2002).]

david,
thanks for clarifying things...so did you do the turbo install yourself? what turbos did u choose to go with? did u put an i/c?

Dave
smile.gif

david,
thanks for clarifying things...so did you do the turbo install yourself? what turbos did u choose to go with? did u put an i/c?

Dave
smile.gif

I worked out the layout and Norwood put it together. I use a single T-61, but I am probably going to swap it for an SP63. It has a Spearco air-to-liquid intercooler.

hmm...single turbo set up huh? interesting. I was going to do that to my vr4 but too much piping involved. My bro has a t88 in his 94 supra TT...the car puts out 684hp at the wheels...but 1/4 mile is low 11s I guess it's the traction. anyway...that's a good idea to go single...are the manifolds same lenght to the turbo? how much did u pay for the job total. how much cfm does that turbo put out at 6psi? did u install a blow off valve? what kind of boost controller? did u dynoed it? if not est. hp?

Madfast, Comptech boasts 367RWHP on a 3.2L with Headers, Intake and Exhaust here: http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000NSXscPlot3.pdf

The Dyno day report says 322RWHP (which is what I had before Mark did his magic). That's 45RWHP difference for SAME MODS.

The guys who run the Dyno in Tempe, AZ said that every SC'd NSX that comes through is about the same.

Even 500 feet and 20 degrees wouldn't make near that RWHP difference.

BTW anyone know the math for BHP and altitude/temp?

My only point is that I think Comptech boasts incorrect numbers since NOBODY I know has ever gotten anything NEAR their numbers.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

Originally posted by David Allen:
My only point is that I think Comptech boasts incorrect numbers since NOBODY I know has ever gotten anything NEAR their numbers.

You'll be NEAR their numbers too if you run the high boost kit!
wink.gif
Actually, I have a fax of the Dynojet plot from SC Zanardi #10 and it was running 355 RWHP (corrected) from just the standard CTSC kit, but his was the highest that I've seen for that setup.

Number9 - is that with the 9psi kit? Also, what altitude and temp?

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Number9 - is that with the 9psi kit? Also, what altitude and temp?

That was a TX NSX-Z running the standard, nominally 6-psi CTSC kit. Since the 355 RWHP number was SAE corrected, it already factored in temp and probably altitude.

355 rwhp on 6 psi is pretty good. When you NSX-Z, are you referring to a Zanardi edition NSX?

Originally posted by O-Ace:
355 rwhp on 6 psi is pretty good. When you NSX-Z, are you referring to a Zanardi edition NSX?

Yep. His Zanardi did better than mine so I cheated and did the high boost kit, so now I'm slightly better than his. But I still haven't reached the comptech advertised numbers...

Originally posted by Number9:
Yep. His Zanardi did better than mine so I cheated and did the high boost kit, so now I'm slightly better than his. But I still haven't reached the comptech advertised numbers...
Anything special required to run 9 psi?

Originally posted by O-Ace:
Anything special required to run 9 psi?

Nope, runs fine. High boost kit comes with bigger injectors, smaller pulley, and recurved Vortech FMU. My low/mid A/F ratio could be a little better, but peak RPM A/F is 12:1 which is about where you'd want it - little rich (for safety's sake) but not ridiculously so...

Originally posted by Number9:
Nope, runs fine. High boost kit comes with bigger injectors, smaller pulley, and recurved Vortech FMU. My low/mid A/F ratio could be a little better, but peak RPM A/F is 12:1 which is about where you'd want it - little rich (for safety's sake) but not ridiculously so...

It's good that it doesn't require strengthening the internals

I just wish to note that Comptech does NOT warranty their 9psi kit (they warranty everything else). That concerns me to the point that I won't buy it.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

I just wish to note that Comptech does NOT warranty their 9psi kit (they warranty everything else). That concerns me to the point that I won't buy it.

Very good point.

I am posting this for David Allen who is experiencing a technical problem posting this message:

------------------

I want to bring up an important point. It is more difficult to get 350+ RWHP than one thinks. A 3.2L with SC, Intake, Headers, and Exhaust at 1,200 feet makes ~325-335RWHP. Comptech's numbers are WAY OFF (ask Mark Basch and anyone else who runs a Dynojet). My NSX is a 3.2L and was only running ~332RWHP after all of the mods. Mark did some tweaking of the fuel system and we go to 346.4RWHP, so it would be over 350 at sea
level.

I have yet to see a NSX with 350+ RWHP run on a dyno that I've used without engine work. Also note from what I've heard, the NSX engine really can't take more than 425-450bhp - after that you're risking a blowout (without engine work). I think somebody who knows the exact #'s

would be best to continue this discussion. I believe David has the fastest NSX in the country (well, publicly) at ~500RWHP with his turbos, but if I recall he blew? something? hehe (David ? jump in here!). All I know is that Comptech's #'s are WAY OFF - they advertise something like 370RWHP for a 3.2L. NEVER happens (unless your dyno is on drugs, or you have the official "Rice Rocket"? dyno). I just wanted to set the record straight since I was VERY disappointed with the actual numbers when I dyno'd my car. Mark Basch ? if you're reading, can you jump in as well and share your experiences with REAL RWHP vs. advertised? The dyno day report also says quite a bit.

Just want to make sure you receive the proper information here, O-Ace! Nothing worse than buying a NSX that says 365RWHP and you take it into the dyno and it's doing 320? heh

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Back