Reliability vs. Modifications?!?

I currently drive a 2001 C5, and I've modified it a lot, but reliability seems to have gone out the window. Plus, it's not making as much power as I expected. So, in the back of my mind, I am thinking of possibly switching to an NSX. Two questions:
1. What would it take to get an NSX to 350+ RWHP? What kind of cost would I be looking at?
2. Would it still be reliable? Are NSXs making this much power level breaking often? Superchargers seem pretty popular. How reliable is supercharging this car?

Please reply. Your knowledge is crucial at this point.

Thanks in advance!

------------------

2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

1) Taking the NSX to 350+ rwhp will require modifying the I/H/E and an addition of a supercharger. There are 3-4 SC available on the market and their prices do vary. You'll need around 9k-14k (not including labor) for the desired effect. However, with so much hp, bigger rims, better suspension and brakes are also needed to balance the overall performance.

Another option is turbo charge the NSX and you can get up to 550rwhp but it is somewhat risky.

Or you can take the easy way out and just get NOS for the extra 100hp.

2) For the SC, I would think so. There are many SCNSX outhere with over 30k miles (after SC) and I haven't heard much (if not any) complaints about them. I plan on SC my car too if that might help you make your decisions.

Download the dyno report from this link and that should give you a better idea of which SC you might want to get.
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004525.html

To get more info about SC/Turbo for NSX, go to the FAQ and click on the "performance" button.

Or like ppl in this forum always say, "Do a search. Remember, the search is your friend."

------------------
'98-T Kaiser Silver/Black

Cost would depend a little on what year NSX you buy.

I would buy an earlier NSX('91-'93) for low to mid 30's, buy a Basch Boost Supercharger(6k), intake, headers, and exhaust, and hold on!! A stock NSX with no other mods but the BBSC yielded around 340-360 hp if I'm not mistaken. I would guess that with the I/H/E you'll probably be near the 400hp mark. In the near future, the BBSC will offer an intercooled system, something that will make even more power!!

Cost?

BBSC = $6k
Intake = $150-$800 depending on the brand, same performance across the line.
Header = $1100 for a DC sport, used is always an option and cost a couple of hundred less.
Exhaust = $800-$3200 depending on brand, tons of choices! Used is also an option.

You can probably get everything for around $10k or less.

Wheels, tires, suspension, etc... they're all optional. You can have a stock looking NSX but when you put the pedal to the medal you're gone!! The ultimate sleeper.

A supercharged NSX with high mileage can be just as reliable as any stock NSX, provided the car has proper/routine maintenance done to it.

So as you can see, your goals are attainable, as long as you plan it out carefully and don't rush into it. Do it once, and do it right
smile.gif

Good Luck

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Thanx for the info guys. I'm looking at 97+ NSXs at the moment. Most are going for somewhere in the mid $40k range. So, according to the info I see here, I could have a 360 rwhp NSX for around $60k. That's not bad at all
smile.gif

------------------

Originally posted by O-Ace:

1. What would it take to get an NSX to 350+ RWHP? What kind of cost would I be looking at?
2. Would it still be reliable? Are NSXs making this much power level breaking often? Superchargers seem pretty popular. How reliable is supercharging this car?

Join the darkside....TURBO. There's nothing else like it. You'll never go back.

------------------
jack of all trades, master of some.

I'll just jump in here regarding the milage info.

Ive got 104k miles on my car right now, I have a supercharger and my reliability is fine (so far).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that any aftermarket modifications, especially to induction are going to decrease the reliability factor. More pressure is going to be put on your rings/seals, so they will be more prone to failure.

At anyrate... 104k miles and still kickin strong
smile.gif

-B

Do you have a Turbo-charged NSX? What kind of power are you making? and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Originally posted by true:
Join the darkside....TURBO. There's nothing else like it. You'll never go back.

------------------

Originally posted by O-Ace:
Do you have a Turbo-charged NSX? What kind of power are you making? and how much did it cost?

Thanks

No..turbo CRX...but same thing, just 4 cylinders. I was at the dynoday..but car wasn't ready. I hope to be easily making at LEAST 300hp to the front wheels. I put a ton of $ into it, but the Bell TT kit is only around 10k. I THINK there is someone here running 12.0 1/4 on this kit on street tires! Stock motor I believe as well. Turbo's are sick.

------------------
jack of all trades, master of some.

I'll look into the Bell TT kit if it's $10k vs. the SC which is $6k. I'd rather spend $4k more and get insane power
biggrin.gif

------------------

Originally posted by true:

I just came across http://nsx.vtec.net/convertible.html

I dont know if that 7800 figure is still accurate.
Thanx for the info. Wow...if it's really $7800, that's awesome!

------------------

My only suggestion is research all of your options before spending the money.

Ive been fortunate enough to ride in all 3 of the "big name" supercharged NSX's. I myself own one.

Ive also ridden in one of the turbo cars...

All of them were different experiences, if you can invest the money, then you should invest the time as well, in the end it'll pay off.

If you are fortunate enough to attend a local event with owners who have these types of vehicles, Im sure many of your questions will be answered and you'll have a clearer picture of what you want to do to your car.

-B

BoneZ, what supercharger are you running?

------------------

I am shopping for a 91-92 nsx now...and after I do I am spending $5k on twin turbo system...I plan on making it myself. here is the price breakdown:
turbos: $300 13Bs DSM type for 2 (more than enough)
exhaust manifolds: $1k for 2
custom exahust: $1k
turbo oil lines: $200 easily made
injectors: $500
i/c piping: $600
dual custom i/c: $1k
I'll keep u guys posted after I adquire one. Shouldn't be hard if you know where to go to get the parts.
Take it from a guy who built a 3000GT VR4 with 450hp (15Gs) and 11.84sec 1/4 mile at 115MPH (Englishtown, NJ)

Dave
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by madfast (edited 20 May 2002).]

Dave,

Do you still have that 3000GT? Where are you located in Brooklyn?

yes I still have it. I am in bensonhurst/ bay ridge...hey can I have a ride in your car? Never been in an nsx b4 and would like to know how it feels before I buy one. email me at [email protected] where are you? Don't tell me you own that red one with fog lites by shore rd.

[This message has been edited by madfast (edited 21 May 2002).]

[This message has been edited by madfast (edited 21 May 2002).]

Argh - I've been trying to post a response to this all day long and it won't take it (don't know why - it hangs).

Sorry for the empty message - I was hoping to post an empty one and paste in the message through an edit, but it still won't take it... GRRRR (somebody needs to check the CGI script
smile.gif

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

[This message has been edited by David Allen (edited 21 May 2002).]

You left out the "engine management system". Also, I would suggest looking at the engine bay and under a NSX. There is no room for twin turbos in the engine bay. Where there is room under the car, you will not be able to use gravity to drain the oil in the turbos. That is why the Bell Kit uses self contained Aerodyne Turbos. Otherwise, you would also need to run oil pumps.

At a price of $5000+ to put it together yourself, I think you should wait for 2-3 months. It will be worth the wait.
smile.gif

Originally posted by madfast:
I am shopping for a 91-92 nsx now...and after I do I am spending $5k on twin turbo system...I plan on making it myself. here is the price breakdown:
turbos: $300 13Bs DSM type for 2 (more than enough)
exhaust manifolds: $1k for 2
custom exahust: $1k
turbo oil lines: $200 easily made
injectors: $500
i/c piping: $600
dual custom i/c: $1k
I'll keep u guys posted after I adquire one. Shouldn't be hard if you know where to go to get the parts.
Take it from a guy who built a 3000GT VR4 with 450hp (15Gs) and 11.84sec 1/4 mile at 115MPH (Englishtown, NJ)

Dave
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by madfast (edited 20 May 2002).]

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

GRRR - the boards still won't take my original post (don't know why - sent it off to the admin). Let me see if I can truncate and post...

A 3.2L with SC, Intake, Headers, and Exhaust at 1,200 feet makes ~325-335RWHP. Comptech's numbers are WAY OFF. My NSX is a 3.2L and was only running ~332RWHP after all of the mods. Mark did some tweaking of the fuel system and we got to 346.4RWHP.

Comptech's #'s are WAY OFF - they advertise something like 370RWHP for a 3.2L with their SC. NEVER happens (unless your dyno is on drugs, or you have the official Rice Rocket dyno). The dyno day report also says quite a bit.

Just want to make sure you receive the proper information here, O-Ace. Nothing worse than buying a NSX that says 365RWHP and you take it into the dyno and it’s doing 320… heh

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Note that my above post is about 50% of what I originally had typed out - the message boards would NOT take it (CGI script would just hang on it)...

Sent a copy to admin - hopefully they can fix the CGI bug.

I hope the above is enough to make the point I was trying to - I'd like to see David and Mark jump in here and share their experiences with REAL RWHP #s.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

David, I certainly appreciate your response. And trust me, I know how it feels when you're expect high#s, and it dynos low. I'm experiencing this with my C5 Vette. It should be making over 380 rwhp, but dynoed at 363 rwhp and 348 rwtq. I don't know what the problem is, but it's really frustrating when you put so much time and money into a car and the shop can't deliver the advertised power.

Thanks again!

Back