Regular gas?

I've just begun reading through my owner's manual for my 91 NSX. It says that although the car (obviously) needs premium fuel, lower octane gas can be used with no detrimental effects on the engine save for reduced power. Although I would never use regular, I'm wondering why on my Toyota MR2 turbo, the guide says using regular can eventually damage the engine, while the NSX can tolerate it. Any thoughts?

Kidztchr7 said:
I've just begun reading through my owner's manual for my 91 NSX. It says that although the car (obviously) needs premium fuel, lower octane gas can be used with no detrimental effects on the engine save for reduced power. Although I would never use regular, I'm wondering why on my Toyota MR2 turbo, the guide says using regular can eventually damage the engine, while the NSX can tolerate it. Any thoughts?

It has a knock sensor, and the ecu has programming to retard ignition timing and add fuel if it sense knock.

Also the MR2 is turbo...not a lot of flexibility in octane there...even if they programmed fuel and ignition to respond to a knock sensor you would likely get compression/heat pre-ignition regardless

Kidztchr7 said:

Ya, I wonder. What is going on here? Under what condition and driving habit? What RPM and how often can it be other than premium?

Maybe the possibility of a boost surge, in which premium fuel would resist detonation, but regular fuel will not?

I believe most turbocharged cars have this requirement.

-Brian.

Back