Registry?

Possibly this is a repost or this already exists, but has anyone ever considered doing a registry of vins? I was thinking (based on Ben's work) it would be nice to know the history of a particular car, and know which VIN's were what color combo, etc.

When I joined NSXCA they asked for the vin, etc...so there must be some sort of record going. It would be great to get a list going for the website...so we can start filling in the vin's and see who's got what.

Could be as simple as year and #.

Shumdit said:
Possibly this is a repost or this already exists, but has anyone ever considered doing a registry of vins? I was thinking (based on Ben's work) it would be nice to know the history of a particular car, and know which VIN's were what color combo, etc.

If there's enough interest in that sort of thing, I could provide the information on what VINs are which color/transmission combos for the data I've collected so far (2000-2005). The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the potential for misuse or abuse of complete lists of entire VINs for any given year, and if that raises any privacy or security issues that some may be concerned about.

Instead of listing out all the VINs, a better alternative might be to have a searchable database, where, you could, for example, search for a particular VIN to return the color combo, or you could enter the desired year and color combo, and see which VINs correspond to that., etc. Ideally, only the last 6 (or 7) digits of the VINs would be shown.

As for collecting the history of each and every car, that's a pretty monumental task, and who's to say the data collected is accurate?

Last edited:
For example, we could start by just making a simple registry... i.e.

1991 0579 - XXXX Black/Ivory/5spd NY-USA
1991 1049 - DrVolkl Sebring Silver/black/5spd WA-USA
1991 1150 - XXXX blah blah
1992 0055 - XXXX you get the idea
2005 0005 -

Start with that...I don't think there's enough info to be abused there, and at least we'd start to see where some of these cars are.

If I remember correctly, a couple years back, the was a NSX registry website that you imputed your VIN too and it kept track. Any one else remember this????

DrVolkl said:
That looked perfect...except I tried to register and it didn't work.

Nah, it worked at the time, then there was some problems with it, i can't remember realy, and it has been sitting there since.

Suppose if you search a little in the forums here, you can find the complete story ;)

I also tried to make an entry in the on-line NSX Registry and it failed with a Boolean Algebra error.

I agree we need a registry of all NSXs, similar to what has been done with the cars from Shelby-American and DeTomaso. Especially now that NSXs are out of producion.

I have the desire to make this happen, but I don't know how to create a simple, attractive NSX Registry web site and its database. If there's someone out there who can set it up, I'd be happy to help.

Perhaps a team of three:
Web Designer
Database Guru
Project Manager/Marketer (me).

Watcha think?!

I think it's a good idea...gives us some idea of what's out there and what's left. Some people are kinda weird about having their VIN #'s viewable, but it never really bothered me.

Back