Recent Major accident by a dui driver.

My nsx was parked and rear ended by a dui driver over the weekend. Just had it inspected by their auto adjuster today and they estimated to be $17,300.00 before tear down.

My question is, will I be able to claim diminished car value, if I decided to go with a wide body kit?

My nsx is pretty messed up. 1/4 panel, rear bumper, truck floor, subframe bent. List goes on and on.

I know for sure my car value will drop, but the question is how much? Keep in mind my car had a clean carfax and totally unmolested. Bone stock.

Will I need to hire an attorney to recover the dv?

Also they are putting me into a corolla as a rental, that's so not fair

Looking for a local body as well.

Any feed back would help.

Not knowing what year, what state, what kind of insurance, etc...
Good luck...fight (with documentation) for your value and so that they (at fault's insurance) make you "whole". If the $s do go up (whether they include any diminished value or not) they will just "total it".
I bought my totalled rear and rebuilt...and I am VERY happy with the results.

Last edited:
I have a a wrecked NSX ( front collision ) in my shop now thats Im parting out I can help you out.

as far as diminished value tring to play that card doesnt really work inless your lawyers are gonna go after the guy

if anyone has actully won a diminished value claim please chime in to this thread I wanna hear how you actully do it.

- - - Updated - - -

as far as the rental I think that depends on the type of insurance coverage you have, but I am sure you can call and say hey I went from an exotic sportscar to a corrolla I have an image to maintain and I need something else that a POS

My nsx is 1998. The other guy insurance is Allstate. I'm with aaa. Im going through Allstate.

My real question is will I be able to claim dv if I decided to go with a wide body?

Not knowing what year, what state, what kind of insurance, etc...
Good luck...fight (with documentation) for your value and so that they (at fault's insurance) make you "whole". If the $s do go up (whether they include any diminished value or not) they will just "total it".
I bought my totalled rear and rebuilt...and I am VERY happy with the results.

I'm not an insurance expert but I went through this (in NC)...let's do it off-line/email: [email protected]
I am assuming your claim (including any custom/special options, wheels, diminished value or not, etc..) will be settled/paid long before you make any repairs/modifications...so I don't see how future work/mods would be germane.
My insurance company (USAA) said they would just total my 1991 out based on a pretty decent value but not what I thought it was worth. Since they were going to total...DV never got discussed with them. They (nicely) explained that if I thought it was so valuable, why didn't I have (and pay for) "specialty" (agreed value coverage) insurance.
However, since it was somebody else's blatant fault (my car was not moving in a parking lot)...I wanted to be "made whole" (so I memtioned DV to his insurance).
When they took into account the other options/upgrades/wheels/new tires/etc...the payout (minus the salvaged "remains") allowed me to do everything (and then some) I wanted to get the car 100+% back on the road. So technically, there was not a line item for DV but I was "made whole".
Good luck (especially if you are thinking about getting your lawyers involved with the insurance company lawyers)
Yes, I have a salvage title...BUT that is something my widow will have to deal with! :-)

there are past threads about others experiences with this..just pop diminished value in the search function.

I talked to several dv companies today and they all said once I modify the car I will not be entitled to dv. Therefore I'm stuck going back to bone stock or if I go with the wide body kit. I'm gonna lose out about $9,000.00 in dv.

Its pretty a hard decision for me, I'm leaning towards the wide body since I have no plans on selling my nsx ever. It is what it is.

I talked to several dv companies today and they all said once I modify the car I will not be entitled to dv. Therefore I'm stuck going back to bone stock or if I go with the wide body kit. I'm gonna lose out about $9,000.00 in dv.

Its pretty a hard decision for me, I'm leaning towards the wide body since I have no plans on selling my nsx ever. It is what it is.

Sorry to hear what happened to your nsx. That is my greatest fear when careless idiots are out on the road. hard chose to make but a damn good one keeping her. That is real commitment.

I talked to several dv companies today and they all said once I modify the car I will not be entitled to dv.

DV companies? I know this is off topic but I have never heard of a "Diminished Value company".
We don't have dv in this state but I am interested in your mention of this.
Could you give or pm a name or a link to one or more of the companies you spoke with? Thanks.

What is a DV (diminished value) company? Is this another entity beside a lawyer and/or insurance company that pays out a separate DV claim?
Since I just went through this, I'm trying to undertsand how a payout for DV when the claim is paid is affected by changes you make later if/when you decide to repair?

Last edited:
AS most of you know, my car was hit from behind and now that it's finally fixed after $50 CAD..........I don't feel the car has devalued at all. It's been fixed with all new OEM parts (thanks to those who assisted on here) and the insurance company still provides the same max. $50k coverage and value knowing they just paid out that much to fix it. If there is no frame damage then it's just all new parts. We don't have that in Canada, but unless you have an approved appraisal for your car prior to the accident would it not be difficult to determine what your actual value is?

I'd be more concerned with getting it fixed from a VERY REPUTABLE shop (Call Joe at Vince's) and make sure you REALLY check them out since many of you know I took mine to a world recognized shop and they screwed my car (since fixed at another shop The Hawk referred me to...........Just sayin!

Good luck, hope you get it looked after.

I just tested/stressed (used, not abused) my front-end repaired NSX at Virginia International Raceway and it performed flawlessly...so a reputable artisan can do it right!

There are a bunch of dv companies. Just google them. However they all want money.

I decided to go with the wide body. After reading all the dv cases it's not worth the headaches.

After my tear down yesterday, the body shop said It needs more work and if the insurance looks at it again, they gonna total it. So to save my car from being total. I May come out of pocket. I'm hoping not too much.

DV companies? I know this is off topic but I have never heard of a "Diminished Value company".
We don't have dv in this state but I am interested in your mention of this.
Could you give or pm a name or a link to one or more of the companies you spoke with? Thanks.

I have a a wrecked NSX ( front collision ) in my shop now thats Im parting out I can help you out.

FYI: buyers

While this is most certainly offered with the best of intentions and above board be aware that most states require sellers of major body components or used parts to have a dismantler's license.

They also require licensed repair shops to keep records of such purchases and having invoices with the dismantler's name, address and license number as well as the vin number of the vehicle from which the parts are being sold.

The intent is not to interfere with or curtail the casual, occasional sale of small parts by private people.

This is not meant to infer that Shawn does not have all the licensing in place to conduct sales as he is offering. I would expect he would know that and is in compliance with the law. I am not directing this at him. Please, I want to make that clear.

This is meant as a heads ups warning to the folks here that the purchase of major traceable components could be a problem down the road if you don't have proper documentation.

The NSXPrime site rules in the market place cover some key important points when buying and selling used parts and is recommended.

Last edited:
LoL always looking out for others with great info :smile:

Speaking of info, lol, you mention your shop and the services you can provide in so many posts. Parts, rebuilds, restorations, timing belts etc.. What's the address? Does it have a name?

Back