Rear lamp light??

What does this mean? Just decided to turn on about a week ago
** If you mean that the brake lights came on by themselves, it's because a small plastic snap-in "button" that mounts on the brake pedal arm, must have broken. They are available from Acura for about $2. Mine broke about a year ago. Without that plastic piece, the brake light switch turns on the brake lights, without touching the brake pedal..

Last edited:
In my cluster, the model of the car that shoes if a door is open ect.. on the rear end it says rear lamp and it is light that came on just as he door open light would have

check your bulbs to make sure none are burnt out.

If they're all fine, then you probably have the intermittent brake light problem. No solution has been found.

This same thing has happened to me recently. At first, I noticed my LED lights were not working when the brake light indicator first came on. My plug to the LED lights was loose(probably from opening and closing trunk so much). I secured the connection, lights worked fine & thought the issue was fixed. But a few days later, the brake light indicator came on again. Now it stays on constantly. But, everything still appears to work normally...so I have no idea what to do.

I secured the connection, lights worked fine & thought the issue was fixed. But a few days later, the brake light indicator came on again. Now it stays on constantly. But, everything still appears to work normally...so I have no idea what to do.

Welcome to FBLFAC ("False Brake Lamp Failure Alert Club")! Cookies and punch are at the back of the room. A miserable bunch we are.

I got my 02+ Tails ... now the damn light is also ON, that b/c the LED bulbs I got (AND MADE NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE = $100 WASTE OF MONEY) use less electricity, now the Cruise Control doesn't work either (i never use, only when I have cops around so I set @ 65 so there's no WAY i'll be speeding, but decided to toy around with the cruise, and is not working) .... but there's a solution, I will try to search the thread about!!

Oscar

Check your bulbs to see if theres any of them blown.

Breaking news - My rear brake lamp warning light had been shining in my face, so I took my car to my favorite mechanic. Upon examining the pigtails, he discovered that one of the two contacts ("nubs") in one of the sockets (pigtails) was broken off and therefore the bulb would not make contact, and also that another pigtail had been replaced at some point years ago by a previous owner, who had used butt-end connectors to connect the pigtail he installed. He also discovered that the third brake light wire from the car to the trunk (front left corner of trunk lid) was chafing and making an intermittent contact.

My mechanic was able to obtain a new pigtail at an auto parts store (Honda would only sell a taillight wiring harness for $$$) and solder in the new connector, plus cut out the butt-end connectors for the older replacement and solder and shrinkwrap that one as well. He also soldered up the chafing third brake light wire.

Result? The brake lamp warning light is no longer shining in my face. For as long as I have owned my car, the left-side brake light seemed prone to making the warning lamp come on for one reason or another, while the right side has never given any problems. Usually in the past a new bulb would do the trick. But this time I think the cause of the problem has been addressed, rather than just the symptoms. I don't anticipate any more trouble with the brake light.

Bottom line? Examine the inside of your bulb sockets to make sure that all the metal contacts are intact, and examine the 3rd brake light wire where it goes from the car body to the left front corner of the trunk lid.

Last edited:
good post.
the 'pigtails' are actually a 'wear item' as the tin nubs get shorter with age. you can 'temporarily' fix it by adding more solder to the bulb nubs.

I had this problem on my 91 NSX a couple of years back. After hours of searching Prime, I tried every solution I could find and nothing worked. After I gave up, my mechanic quickly diagnosed the issue.....the circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster was the issue. He tried repairing the board with no luck. $900+ later on a new gauge cluster fixed the issue and it never re-appeared. :redface: I'm pretty anal about stuff working correctly but that was a hard pill to swallow. Fortunately I was able to rationalize it as my Tach was having issues too, so getting the new gauge cluster fixed both issues.

Breaking news - My rear brake lamp warning light had been shining in my face, so I took my car to my favorite mechanic. Upon examining the pigtails, he discovered that one of the two contacts ("nubs") in one of the sockets (pigtails) was broken off and therefore the bulb would not make contact, and also that another pigtail had been replaced at some point years ago by a previous owner, who had used butt-end connectors to connect the pigtail he installed. He also discovered that the third brake light wire from the car to the trunk (front left corner of trunk lid) was chafing and making an intermittent contact.

My mechanic was able to obtain a new pigtail at an auto parts store (Honda would only sell a taillight wiring harness for $$$) and solder in the new connector, plus cut out the butt-end connectors for the older replacement and solder and shrinkwrap that one as well. He also soldered up the chafing third brake light wire.

Result? The brake lamp warning light is no longer shining in my face. For as long as I have owned my car, the left-side brake light seemed prone to making the warning lamp come on for one reason or another, while the right side has never given any problems. Usually in the past a new bulb would do the trick. But this time I think the cause of the problem has been addressed, rather than just the symptoms. I don't anticipate any more trouble with the brake light.

Bottom line? Examine the inside of your bulb sockets to make sure that all the metal contacts are intact, and examine the 3rd brake light wire where it goes from the car body to the left front corner of the trunk lid.

How many bulbs on each side of the rear are supposed to light when the brakes are applied (1991)? (Not including the LED bar).
THANKS

Back