Real price on a beat up NSX?

Real price on this NSX?

Hey guys,

So I just came back from checking out a 1991 NSX with 84.5K miles that was for sale around my area. The dealer was asking 26K for it and I kindly rejected it due to the issues it had below.

Aesthetic Issues:
- Front lip driver side had broken loose
- Front bumper (lower section driver side) has major paint cracking and a crappy touch up job
- Top of bumper had what looks like a touch up for some small dent/tear in the bumper. (Probably caused by SUV reversing onto the bumper)
- Looks like front bumper was repainted before the damage on it
- Hood was just slightly off to the driver side of the car
- All of the wheels were scratched up
- Roof had a thin long scratch on it
- Door handle area was scuffed up
- Some more scratches on the vents behind rear hatch
- Rear trunk lid had some touch up paint on it for scratches probably
- Driver side rear tail lens had some condensation in it
- Rear bumper had some scratches/paint chipping on passenger corner
- Rear bumper looked like it was repainted prior to damage as well.
- Someone put some weird looking muffler tips on it
- Sign of passenger rear panel removed and reinstalled.
- carpet near drivers left foot looked to be peeling off the floor.

Mechanical/Functional Issue:
- Air conditioner will only turn fully on or fully off. No intermediate control
- When shifting into 3rd gear the car would grind about 80% of the time ( I'm assuming this could be fixed by changing out the transmission fluid and adding syncromesh)
- Weird quick sound coming from rear when accelerating from 15mph~25mph kind of like acorns in a can sound.
- No service records so most likely it will need TB/WP fixed.
- Windows went up slowly
- AC vent on passenger side door was broken and the whole thing looked like it was not properly installed back into the door.

Positives:
- Has an aftermarket touch screen navigation/radio/cd player installed
- Antenna still worked
- Seem to drive straight
- Seats were in decent shape for a 20 year old car No tears, rips, cuts
- not in snap ring range transmission serial # J4A4-1003404.

I seriously thought a good offer for this car would be like 18-20K. The amount of work it needs would be 10K+ to make it pristine. 2K for TB/WP work, another 6-8K for a new paint job, + more for window fix, etc. To be quite honest I wouldn't mind buying it a low price and fixing it up slowly and bringing it back to it's prime but for 26K I felt it was too much.

What do you think a good offer would be?

Last edited:
Considering all that you mentioned above, I wouldn't pay $20k for it when there's better one out there.

If it's from a small dealer, chances are, there are no maintenance records on these type of car, and this is what you should be looking for.

I would never buy something like that from owners who totally neglect their car and don't take good care of it.
It's an NSX, not a 91 civic. Have some pride in keeping it in decent condition at least.

I sent you a pm.

Last edited:
With all of that stuff obviously wrong and other unknowns, I'd say $17k TOPS even with less than 100k miles on the car. $10k in repairs would sound about right...more if you have it all done vs. DIY though.

That sounds about like the laundry list that my car had wrong with it, and I paid less than that (grant it with over 200k miles on the clock).

With all of that stuff obviously wrong and other unknowns, I'd say $17k TOPS even with less than 100k miles on the car. $10k in repairs would sound about right...more if you have it all done vs. DIY though.

That sounds about like the laundry list that my car had wrong with it, and I paid less than that (grant it with over 200k miles on the clock).

+1 Steer clear unless you are Shawn. He could bring it back to life. :D

15k tops, looks like the dealer got it from auction but didn't want to put the money in it like he should to make it pristine and get top dollar, btw with that price you can get some good reputable ones here on prime classifieds.

seems like car needs a lot of work, i would walk away and look for another,save the headache, find a nice clean one.

is there some inside joke about Shawn?:rolleyes: let me know so I can laugh to.

LOL just kidding I dont wanna know :smile:

anyway what did you offer them?

they will probably wait till some smuck
that is driving a lowered 93 Integra coupe with dice on the mirror that saved up his money to buy it.

since you spotted all of this NSX's previous owner's neglect,
if you got it for a low price due to all the damages, and put some money into it and got her back up to Perfect shape, you could

1... have fun doing it
2...can take pride in what you did
3...keep the car
4... sell the car and break even
5... hold onto the car and when( and it will ) be worth more down the road than sell it for a profit

it does have low miles and a clean title right.

a wise investment. I think

you only live once. so I say do it.....!

Last edited:
What was the color combo?

I spent $24.7K for a not so perfect NSX, but it had the ivory interior and it was mechanically sound. Cosmetics and TB/WP/Clutch didn't bother me as I budgeted for those items already whether it needed it or not.

As long as the fluids look and smell okay, not blowing smoke, compression numbers check out alright, plugs look good, it's most likely kept in somewhat decent mechanical shape. They could have just lived in a location with bad roads or had a house with no garage.

My opinion is a decent sub 100K mileage, 10 foot NSX fair weather DD is worth 23K. I prefer NOT to DD a 100% mint exotic of any kind. It would probably stress me too much leaving it parked out of sight.

I'd not dismiss the grinding into third gear so easily. Many NSX's have problems shifting into 2nd when cold. I haven't heard problems going into 3rd, and certainly not 80% of the time. If I were you, I'd wait until you find a car that is mechanically solid (preferably from a private party) at a better price. It will take a bit of patience but you will find one.

that is driving a lowered 93 Integra coupe with dice on the mirror that saved up his money to buy it.

if you got it for a low price due to all the damages, and put some money into it and got her back up to Perfect shape, you could

1... have fun doing it
3...keep the car
5... hold onto the car and when( and it will ) be worth more down the road than sell it for a profit

Shawn you are fast becoming the Master of saving wayward NSXs. We all admire and appreciate what you are doing. The practical knowledge you are gaining is going to help a lot of NSX owners as the years go on...

Shawn you are fast becoming the Master of saving wayward NSXs. We all admire and appreciate what you are doing. The practical knowledge you are gaining is going to help a lot of NSX owners as the years go on...

exactly..I'm still amazed that you (shawn) drove that busted up car cross country.....with a rumble seat no less:eek:

Well thanks guys, I am only a 2 year old member of Prime but love this site.

on it everyday.

I was PMed by a member going to do an article about me fixing these rare cars. I might get famous

1... have fun doing it
3...keep the car

I didn't offer anything. I wanted to think about it and see what would be reasonable. I also wanted to get some outside opinions from the NSXprime folks :D.

The only thing that really deters me from making an offer on this car is that there may be something wrong with the transmission and that the AC is messed up. I don't want to do anything major mechanically.

The TB/WP is not big deal since that's just going to have to be replaced eventually due to age. I have always wanted a NSX that was Magnum Grey Pearl and this car would be great for that, since I could repaint it what ever color I want, without killing the value even more. The damaged lip I would probably change out so that's not too much of a negative. I could live with the interior flaws and would probably change it out in the future either way (alcantara :D). If I buy an NSX I don't plan to keep it stock either so getting a mint stocker is not really my goal either.

Basically I think it's a great project car but I doubt this guy would take an offer of 15K-17K for it. It is a clean title car, has relatively low mileage, and it doesn't look or drive like it's got frame damage. It just probably a car that been through a couple fender benders, and careless owner.

Last edited:
the fat skinny...

1991 NSX with 84.5K miles that was for sale around my area. The dealer was asking 26K for it...
Assuming clean title/history, maint'/service history, respectable condition for age/mileage... that's a fair asking-price!

But. . .
- Front lip driver side had broken loose
~$125 for new OEM lip & relevant hardware. Though it may just need more hardware (zipnuts/bolts).
- Front bumper (lower section driver side) has major paint cracking and a crappy touch up job
Repaint.
- Top of bumper had what looks like a touch up for some small dent/tear in the bumper. (Probably caused by SUV reversing onto the bumper)
- Looks like front bumper was repainted before the damage on it
Used but undamaged OEM upper-bumper covers are $150 - $250 in the forum's marketplace.
- Hood was just slightly off to the driver side of the car
May be front-fender or bumper or headlight-cover or hood needs adjusted. And worth a closer look underneath, to get a better idea of why.
- All of the wheels were scratched up
Used but undamaged OEM '91-'93 wheels are ~$100, w/ tires ~$250, in the forum's marketplace.
- Roof had a thin long scratch on it
Depending on depth of the blemish, perhaps it can be buffed out and/or a mobile paint-professional can address it ($50 - $75).
- Door handle area was scuffed up
Typical of most NSX's that have been driven even moderately. Some polishing/buffing, fixed.
- Some more scratches on the vents behind rear hatch
Again, depending on the depth of the blemishes, perhaps they can be buffed out and/or a mobile paint-professional can address them ($50 - $75). The rear-window garnish creates drag vortex like airstream swirl patterns at times, perhaps dirt/dust/debris caused the blemishes.
- Rear trunk lid had some touch up paint on it for scratches probably
No biggie. Polish & buff and/or go w/ mobile paint-professional (again, presumably dirt/dust/debris at speed via vortex from RWG).
- Driver side rear tail lens had some condensation in it
Not uncommon on an NSX of this age. Replacement taillight gaskets (if-even necessary) are ~$100ish.
- Rear bumper had some scratches/paint chipping on passenger corner
Yet again, depending on the depth of the blemishes, perhaps they can be buffed out and/or a mobile paint-professional can address them ($50 - $75).
- Rear bumper looked like it was repainted prior to damage as well.
If paint blends/matches the rest, it's all good. If not, a repaint will solve that.
- Someone put some weird looking muffler tips on it
Rolled-edge angle-cut exhaust tips are ~$25'ish/pair.
- Sign of passenger rear panel removed and reinstalled.
There can be myriad of reasons for cabin rear-firewall panel removal (ie. ECU/relay, harness-bar install, custom stereo/sound system, etc).
- carpet near drivers left foot looked to be peeling off the floor.
"Peeling" isn't apt term, more like unfastened/loose. Again, not uncommon. Just re-affix.
- Air conditioner will only turn fully on or fully off. No intermediate control
Happens in just about every early model-year NSX over the course of its life. Simple solution, remove CCU board, send to Prime member BrianK & it'll be better than new (~$100'ish).
- When shifting into 3rd gear the car would grind about 80% of the time ( I'm assuming this could be fixed by changing out the transmission fluid and adding syncromesh)
3rd-gear synchro wear occurs w/ the 5-spd NSX transmission on-occasion. Transmission fluid w/ friction-modifiers (ala' GM-Synchromesh) are helpful, as well as other remedies.
- Weird quick sound coming from rear when accelerating from 15mph~25mph kind of like acorns in a can sound.
Perhaps a failed/failing CV-boot on either/both axles. Bests to address sooner-than-later, OEM CV-rebuild kits (boot/grease/fastener-bands) are readily available ($23/each, complete rear-axle redeaux is 4 kits - if necessary).

Or something loose in the exhaust-system's components (ie. bolts or hangers for the exhaust/cats/heat-shields).
- No service records so most likely it will need TB/WP fixed.
No biggie, $1,200 - $1,400 service (assuming nothing else needs addressed).
- Windows went up slowly
You do realize you're buying an NSX, right? ;)

Window "fix-it" thingies will maintain the status-quo, meaning preventing (inevitable) window-regulator failure. And inexpensive to boot (~$10/each)
- AC vent on passenger side door was broken and the whole thing looked like it was not properly installed back into the door.
Readily available from NSX salvage/wreck parts-dealers. Presumably door-panel was removed for the custom stereo/sound system install.
- Has an aftermarket touch screen navigation/radio/cd player installed
Custom stereo/sound system (head-unit, amp, speakers, etc) can add $500 - $1,500 to the value of an NSX, depending on components, customization, fit/finish, etc.
- Antenna still worked
Shark antenna is popular mod' for many owners.
- Seem to drive straight
- Seats were in decent shape for a 20 year old car No tears, rips, cuts
- not in snap ring range transmission serial # J4A4-1003404.
Good stuff.
I seriously thought a good offer for this car would be like 18-20K. The amount of work it needs would be 10K+ to make it pristine. 2K for TB/WP work, another 6-8K for a new paint job, + more for window fix, etc. To be quite honest I wouldn't mind buying it a low price and fixing it up slowly and bringing it back to it's prime but for 26K I felt it was too much.
What do you think a good offer would be?
Assuming clean title & no major accident/collision history (ie. all original body-parts), needing t-b/w-p service (6yr/90k-mile), the aforementioned wear-&-tear items & cosmetic things needing to be addressed... it's a solid $20k - $22.5k NSX. With some patience & diligence, ~$2.5k would bring it back to what would be possibly acceptable condition.

Obviously, if there's more to it - then well the price needs to be adjusted accordingly.

This is just an opine from afar, remote & removed from the situation. Pics, PPI-report, Carfax/Autocheck, DMV-report, maint'/service records as-per VIN, etc would all offer more insight as words on a screen can be subjective. . .

Last edited:
So I've went back looked at the car again. This time looking at the overall picture of the car and the car actually isn't as in bad shape as I originally thought. If I think about it all exterior complications is only related to the front and rear bumper (minus the thin scratch on the roof), interior stuff is all minor and can be fixed with a couple hundred dollars, and I'm just going to have to change fluids + tb/wp out just because of age and mileage. Overall it's not really that bad of a condition NSX I may of exaggerated a bit when I first saw it. So I negotiated it down a bit and we agreed on a price I was comfortable with. So I now own this NSX.

Shawn I'm in the same boat you are man. We only live life once so I'm a make the best of it. I'm going to enjoy repairing the small issues of this NSX myself and have pride in the quality that I put into making this NSX perfect again and to my personal taste.

Congrats on your not so beat up NSX after all purchase.

Welcome to the NSX family.

Of course we'll want pictures :smile:

PS. And since it was in your area you can figure you saved ~$2k for enclosed shipping

Last edited:
wow...so the raven is now a owner...have fun with the car..thats the real reason to own it.I feel like we watched you grow up on prime since your first few posts years ago....

wow...so the raven is now a owner...have fun with the car..thats the real reason to own it.I feel like we watched you grow up on prime since your first few posts years ago....

lol yeah I guess you can tell I've pretty much grew up on these forums. I'm guessing you guys thought I was a naive and annoying kid would eventually go away, considering I was pretty much 12 when I joined NSXPrime back in 2002. Sorry for being annoying at times in the past but I've definitely matured so I don't think you guys will have much of an issue with me around.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and hopefully I'll meet some of you guys in the next few years when NSXPO hits around the east coast.

I'll take pics when I get a decent camera. My camera phone isn't good enough.

Last edited:
you are in luck,xpo is around the Philly area this year,so sign up!!!

i have a 92 gpw nsx for sale with 70k on it car is immaculate condition new tb/wp asking 21k call me if intrested 916-821-3456

Congratulations! Let's do a drive sometime. Perhaps on the 19th?

Anthony that is awesome. Congrats. If you fix this thing up like you fixed up the KEF speakers, I am sure it will look awesome.

And FWIW, Raven is young but I always found him to be very intelligent and mature. It's cool he is an NSX owner finaly.

Congratulations! Let's do a drive sometime. Perhaps on the 19th?

Sounds good. PM me for details for what road you think we should take. Hopefully weather will be good next weekend. This weekend looks crummy here for massachusetts :(.

Oh and I did find a tear in my driver side bolster lol. Damn I was pretty certain there wasn't any. Oh well, it just means I'm a need to re-cover the seats in the future.

Back