Re-paint Red Targa Top to Black?

I didnt mean to offend your ride.. sorry... I tried calling Geico and asking for the gecco, but you were out to lunch. LOL

JK, I think your ride is sexy as hell. I like it, its different. Im an OEM rat personally... but hey, we all have different tastes!

I still like it when the drapes match the carpet :eek:

I'll have to disagree on that captainjman...

If your car is all original, I agree with others vinyl wrap it and call it a day.

it appears things have come full circle, people used to ask the question "should I paint my top body color?", lol.

I agree with the vinyl idea.. that way the next guy will be happy either way.

Actually, I am the next guy... it's my car these days :biggrin:

So I'm hi-jacking this thread :rolleyes:

Planning to vinyl the top, pillars, and mirrors very soon in matte black

Will post before/after pics with top on/off

I like the fighter cockpit look from back in the day and it's only vinyl

Vinyl wrap sounds like a good idea but the reality is different than the theory.

Wrapped vehicles have come my way and more often than not it can be an incredible task trying to remove.
It is especially hard to remove if it has hardened from direct exposure to the sun and you are in Phoenix where the sun can be brutal.

It can scar the surface and leave imprints as well.

Doing it for a show car that may see little sun and elements and kept soft with detail spray might be different.

Once it spends some time in the elements and gets a little aged, especially direct sun, removing it can be is a cursed job.

I have used a heat gun, medium wave infra-red,a induction heater, eraser wheels, chemical release agents for the glue and even the sun to make the job easier. For my customers, the fellows who put this stuff on refuse to take it off.

When it has been hardened or even slightly aged from the sun it doesn't come off easy. Little pieces come off one inch at a time.

My advice: you have a really nice car. Leave the paint alone unless it is damaged.

Last edited:
..but it's a dry heat :cool:

Thanks for the advice, I will heed it since I like my paint condition.

Vinyl wrap sounds like a good idea but the reality is different than the theory.

Wrapped vehicles have come my way and more often than not it can be an incredible task trying to remove.
It is especially hard to remove if it has hardened from direct exposure to the sun and you are in Phoenix where the sun can be brutal.

It can scar the surface and leave imprints as well.

Doing it for a show car that may see little sun and elements and kept soft with detail spray might be different.

Once it spends some time in the elements and gets a little aged, especially direct sun, removing it can be is a cursed job.

I have used a heat gun, medium wave infra-red,a induction heater, eraser wheels, chemical release agents for the glue and even the sun to make the job easier. For my customers, the fellows who put this stuff on refuse to take it off.

When it has been hardened or even slightly aged from the sun it doesn't come off easy. Little pieces come off one inch at a time.

My advice: you have a really nice car. Leave the paint alone unless it is damaged.

Back