Rattle in stop and go traffic....

I went for a test drive this past weekend and found myself in a bit of traffic before getting to the highway. I noticed that the car would make this rattling sound when lifting my foot off the gas in really slow moving, stop and go traffic in 1st and 2nd gear..... almost like a knocking sound from the rear. The owner said that that's just the way it is and that the car isn't built for traffic like this.... kinda made sense at the time. Is this common for early NSXs? Or is this a problem that should eliminate it as a purchase candidate? It drove like a dream on the highway and there was no sign of the noise over, say 10 mph. If I were to take a guess, I would say its the stock exhaust shaking but I looked at the exhaust afterwards and it seemed to be attached solidly. Any thoughts?

The noise is very common for ALL NSX as I recall. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's a noise from the gearbox itself. I think it's the countershaft that has some play in all NSX gearboxes, some more, some less. It also could be the differential, not sure about that. Very, very seldom there's something wrong with the transaxles, but that easy to check. A friend of mine went to the dealer with the same noise and they quoted him $700 for a new transaxles which wasn't bad at all and the noise stayed the same. I also had some sleepless nights about it. But the best thing about it THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS, nothing wrong with it. I use the clutch in traffic jam scenarios more often to avoid the clicking noise.

Do you have any pics of her? :)

The previous owner was wrong, the car drives like a queen in traffic jam, esp. compared to other supercars. :)

Back