Radiator Drain Plug on BACKORDER with no ETA?

EAC

Legendary Member
Called about a radiator drain plug and o-ring for my 96 NSX. They say the rad drain plug and o-ring are back ordered. Can this be cross reference to another vehicle?

I need one :frown:

Last edited:
Buy it used.

I wanted a new o-ring though. Mine has a small drip....for some reason. I probably only need a new o-ring but I thought it would be easier to just swap plugs real quick.

There is no backorder on these. I just got off the phone with my dealer and these are available for me in one day.

19011-PH2-004 Drain Plug
19012-PD2-004 O-Ring

HTH,
LarryB

There is no backorder on these. I just got off the phone with my dealer and these are available for me in one day.

19011-PH2-004 Drain Plug

19012-PD2-004 O-Ring

HTH,

LarryB

Great, thank you! Just ordered through oemacuraparts. Total was $11.36 shipped via priority!

I guess these are for a integra but will fit the NSX?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have the same thing on mine ... the small drip that is. I tried a new drain plug but that didnt solve the problem. Appearantly the plug isnt the problem, the radiator has hairline cracks on the inside behind the threadding so the o-ring wont seal properly. Just an FYI in case that doesnt solve it for you.

I wanted a new o-ring though. Mine has a small drip....for some reason. I probably only need a new o-ring but I thought it would be easier to just swap plugs real quick.

Just take the o-ring to an autoparts store and get one the same size, they usually have a box full of them behind the counter.

Just take the o-ring to an autoparts store and get one the same size, they usually have a box full of them behind the counter.

Now that's thinking with yer dipstick laddy.....:biggrin: Good advice Epie! Sounds like you're an old hand at this sort of thing. The way I remember things in the old days....:smile:

I have a 500 peice O-Ring assortment box. I'm sure I have the right size, I just wanted to swap plugs with the least fluid loss possible.

I have the same thing on mine ... the small drip that is. I tried a new drain plug but that didnt solve the problem. Appearantly the plug isnt the problem, the radiator has hairline cracks on the inside behind the threadding so the o-ring wont seal properly. Just an FYI in case that doesnt solve it for you.

Hmm, if that's the case. Maybe a little teflon tape will fix it.

I have a 500 peice O-Ring assortment box. I'm sure I have the right size, I just wanted to swap plugs with the least fluid loss possible.

Get a cork! They make em in all sizes. You won't loose much and you can get corks - rubber ones all over. Just an idea.

Get a cork! They make em in all sizes. You won't loose much and you can get corks - rubber ones all over. Just an idea.

Good idea, but I already ordered. Oh well. :redface:

Quick question about availability of parts in general -

Are all the parts already in the US, or do they still make them and ship over from Japan?

Obviously, there might be a slight delay due to Tsunami / nuclear disaster and all. :frown:

I just wan't sure if all the parts are already made and sitting in bins at some warehouse in the US, Japan, or still get produced.

Sorry if it sounds like I am insensative, of course I care about the peoples lives more than an O ring, but its a valid question...

Where is the Honda plant? Is it near the coast? Does any of this impact NSX parts?

I hope I don't sound like a super douche for asking given how much people are suffering!

J

Quick question about availability of parts in general -

Are all the parts already in the US, or do they still make them and ship over from Japan?

Obviously, there might be a slight delay due to Tsunami / nuclear disaster and all. :frown:

I just wan't sure if all the parts are already made and sitting in bins at some warehouse in the US, Japan, or still get produced.

Sorry if it sounds like I am insensative, of course I care about the peoples lives more than an O ring, but its a valid question...

Where is the Honda plant? Is it near the coast? Does any of this impact NSX parts?

I hope I don't sound like a super douche for asking given how much people are suffering!

J

Ah Ha - found ya- there are a lot of parts here in the US. Clint Howell and others send em out the day you pay many times. So there aren't any really long lead times - however there are some parts that are no longer made.....sad to say.

Most parts are already here on the ground in the US in one of American Honda's warehouses. That's how your dealer can get them in 1-2 days. If they are out of stock, and have to be restocked from Japan, then you are looking at a 2 week or more lead time. Fortunately, that's been rare in my experience.

However, as someone else has said, many parts for the early cars are no longer available at all.

Most parts are already here on the ground in the US in one of American Honda's warehouses. That's how your dealer can get them in 1-2 days. If they are out of stock, and have to be restocked from Japan, then you are looking at a 2 week or more lead time. Fortunately, that's been rare in my experience.

However, as someone else has said, many parts for the early cars are no longer available at all.

Which ones - do you know. I believe the trannies are no longer available - but what other main parts?

Which ones - do you know. I believe the trannies are no longer available - but what other main parts?
I haven't heard that about the trannies, and I doubt that it's true.

I know the '91-96 chin spoiler is no longer available, but the '97+ is a bolt-on replacement.

No one knows for sure except the American Honda computers. The list is too numerous and changing every day for someone to make a definitive list. I know some of the online parts sites will remove a part from the catalog when it's no longer available, so you can check specific parts there.

My guess is that most interior and trim pieces for the earlier cars are no longer available, but most of the pieces essential to keeping the cars running are probably still available.

In my own experience, tan seatbelts and sunvisors for the earlier cars are no longer available.

As a side note, some parts may still be available in Japan. If you have a source in Japan to buy parts for you, you can give them part numbers, and they might still be able to get them. I had to do this for my Legend a couple times.

isn't there a law that states that you must continue to make parts for 14-15 years after the last production for the used car market? I'm not sure but I think I read that somewhere a while back.

Since the NSX is mostly the same 91-05 with relatively small changes, I would think we should be able to get any part we need until 2019-2020

Or am I wrong

J

Back