racing na1 nsx with High mileage

i was looking around and the only nsx's in my price range are older na1 nsx's with 90,000 miles or more, and i was wondering if i plan on mostly autocrossing and occasionally track racing the car with daily driving would it not last very long? i would definatly take good care of the engine and would replace any little things that would or could go wrong like head gaskets. how long do these engines usually last? and would a turbo or supercharger with no more than 8psi be too much for a high mileage engine?

I hate to give you the standard, "do a search" answer, but do a search. You'll find that many NSXes have over 100K miles on them and have seen multiple track days. My '91 is one of them: 145K miles, many track events, only two clutches and no squeaks or rattles.

alright thanks, i just wanted to check with some owners before i got myself in too deep, i figured 90k wouldn't be bad for a honda motor but just wanted to make sure.

I sold my Integra GSR with 350,xxx miles, and the compression was within nominal specs the day I sold it (checked it for the buyer).

151K miles with lots of track duty. Compression & leak down test are strong across the board for another 150K. IMHO- NA1 with hi mileage make the best track cars. Save those garage queens for the car shows:smile:

Call me stupid but I originally bought my '91 at 90k miles from a guy who I knew had tracked it .. and it now has about 158k miles on it. In case it isn't already obvious, we're all suggesting having a leak-down test done first; and a good maintenance history would be highly desirable. The reason many of the cars resale value drops off at 90k is that that's when the first major service (timing belt; water pump; etc) interval is so if you can find one at 90-100k that's already had the service done, that's definitely a bonus. If it hasn't been done, then use that to negotiate a lower price because it's probably going to cost you at least $3k.

i was also thinking of a skyline r32 as a good track car and everyday car but the importing pain in the a** may not be worth it. thanks again for the help, i want a car i can thrash on (race wise) and i think this one is one of the few that can compete with the r32 skyline.

The NSX will be a fine daily driver and occasional track car. It is not your best choice as at the autocross. Please don't "thrash" on it though.

i would never thrash on it in a bad way, i'm just kind of a racer and racing is what i do, i would take care of it very very well, autocrossing is less hard on the engine because you never really leave 2nd gear but is pretty harsh on suspension components (lots of quick jerky movements)

i would never thrash on it in a bad way, i'm just kind of a racer and racing is what i do, i would take care of it very very well, autocrossing is less hard on the engine because you never really leave 2nd gear but is pretty harsh on suspension components (lots of quick jerky movements)

On most autocross courses you don't really turn really high RPMs for very long (especially with an oem-geared 5-spd), whereas on a road course, you are usually in the top of the range the entire time. It is also easier on the brakes since, if you're doing it right, you will hardly touch them.

Autocross is harder on tires from a wear-per-mile standpoint, and can beat the shocks up a bit, but no worse than driving on roads in the north-east.

I agree that 90k is not really that high-mileage. My 92 has 217,000 miles on it and once I go through the brake system thoroughly, it will also see a track probably a few times/year in a non-competitive environment (for now at least).

Back