R8 or i8?

Larry drives the i8 to and from work. But I've seen him in the Bentley 2 door more often than not outside of work hours.

Maybe he doesn't want his employees to think he gets paid too much :)

You haven't mentioned a very important criteria. What do you plan to use it for?

Wknd toy? Daily commuter? Both?

Are you a nerd/geek or does the sound of aa slow shifting manual V10 give you wood?

I8 vs R8 vs GTR vs 911TT vs G vs AMG GT vs Tesla P80d.

All very different and each fills a certain spectrum better.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as an example... Larry Ellison owns virtually every super car on the planet but he drives his i8 almost everyday according to my buddies at Oracle HQ.

This would be an everyday car for this winter. I've always been a manual guy and that's always been my preference. However, I'm willing to concede that to try something different. I prefer driving experience over technology, generally speaking. The Tesla doesn't excite me but I do like the i8 because I think it's aesthetically more pleasing and unique.

I'm beginning to think the GTR might be the way to go due to its better price point; and I probably wouldn't feel as bad about it using it as a snow plow. It's not the best looking car, but might be fun to own for the short-term.

Last edited:
Ok....
Nice thread, I maybe trying to fill the same 'need' :cool:
Not to hijack someone's thread but...
My Criteria:
- Needs to be a 2+ seater (that is anything with rear seats, weather someone can actually sit in them is not the issue :cool: ie..911's, AM9, i8)
- under 125k
- unicorn like status (rare like the NSX)

considerations, so far
i8
Maserati GT Sport
Used Aston (non volante)
GT-R

or just replace my 06 M6 with a New M6 Gran Coupe.

- - - Updated - - -

BMW. Looks better for me. And way more exclusive. I saw tens of R8, both V8 and V10 and only one i8.

+1 nice wow factor on the i8. I saw one chasing a bunch of nice 911's up the PCH after NSXPO 2015.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm in the minority on this one but I see ABSOLUTELY NO exotic or special feel in the BMW i8. Just a wannabe car with some scissor doors. There is no wow factor in that car by itself. This is why most of the time you see owners leave their doors open to draw crowds.

There is really no car that has any wow factor under $125k in my opinion. Certainly not with unicorn feel.

Only cars I see are all 200k+ with those criteria above:

Ferrari FF

Now the M6GC is certainly no slouch in terms of a cool car but not special. The Ford GT is special but no back seats.

they all have similar profile

04-2017-audi-r8-fd-1.jpg

2016-acura-nsx-horsepower.jpg

Cool-BMW-i8-Supercar-Coupe-Model.jpg

Interesting to hear how "rare' I8 seems to be in the states, they aren't that ultra rare here.
And to be honest I prefer a M6 over the I8 it feels kind of cheap to be honest.

As far as the consideration,
i8
Maserati GT Sport
Used Aston (non volante)
GT-R

GT-R is by no means special and personally it's huge and a playstation on wheels.

Aston's are cool and no that bad if well maintained.
Maserati is very pretty and cool, work with them everyday be sure to get the automatic unless you find clutch changes and frequent transmission gremlins fun.

GranTurismo 4.7S is a big nice cruiser and not that bad in terms of maintenance, be prepared to deal with the "Made in Italy" factor but other than that they are a fun car.

I decided to winterize my M3 again (Blizzaks) so put off any immediate need for a car. Now, I'm hoping to pull the trigger on something down the line and want to expand my options. The new NSX is more than my desired budget (out the door at $200K+ well-optioned) so that is not a choice. I prefer the used market anyways so that somebody else can eat the depreciation. So here's a potential list and would appreciate any more input:

R8 V10

i8 - seems like reviews on driving experience are not great

911 Turbo

911 GT3 - only older models seem w/in price range and would prefer something newer (2010 +)

GTR - might be easiest default option due to lower costs/similar performance; always hear mixed reviews about driving fun

Last edited:
I decided to winterize my M3 again (Blizzaks) so put off any immediate need for a car. Now, I'm hoping to pull the trigger on something down the line and want to expand my options. The new NSX is more than my desired budget (out the door at $200K+ well-optioned) so that is not a choice. I prefer the used market anyways so that somebody else can eat the depreciation. So here's a potential list and would appreciate any more input:

R8 V10

i8 - seems like reviews on driving experience are not great

911 Turbo

911 GT3 - only older models seem w/in price range and would prefer something newer (2010 +)

GTR - might be easiest default option due to lower costs/similar performance; always hear mixed reviews about driving fun

In your list, we've owned 2 of the 4 cars and to be honest, the only ones worth considering are: R8v10 6MT or the GT3

The Turbo is a jack of all trades nice car but way too "soft" for a fun sports car. Maybe that is what makes it both an awesome machine and also it's weakness.

Agree with other member, the i8 looks great but feels a bit cheap with all the plastic around the car. Once the novelty wears off it's just another BMW with cool doors.

Try to drive the cars prior to buying them since only you would know what fits you best.

gluck

In your list, we've owned 2 of the 4 cars and to be honest, the only ones worth considering are: R8v10 6MT or the GT3

The Turbo is a jack of all trades nice car but way too "soft" for a fun sports car. Maybe that is what makes it both an awesome machine and also it's weakness.

Agree with other member, the i8 looks great but feels a bit cheap with all the plastic around the car. Once the novelty wears off it's just another BMW with cool doors.

Try to drive the cars prior to buying them since only you would know what fits you best.

gluck

Thanks for your response Euro. I also agree that those seem like the 2 best options. 911 Turbo has some additional appeal of rear seats for the kids but I'm not sure how usable they are, especially since I'm tall and will leave little leg room for anybody behind me. The GT3 does look more racey/exotic with the big wing in the back.

I'm seeing 2010-2011 GT3 examples ranging in the $110-125K range which is probably similar to or just below 2012 R8 V10 MT pricing. I feel the R8 is slightly more exotic but the GT3 would be more fun to drive? One of my fears is that I will want to keep the GT3 forever (because it will be so appealing) and right now I've promised myself that the next car I get I want to cycle and have different future experiences [NSX and M3 are all-time keepers for me hopefully].

Also I used to dream about getting GT3 RS (997s) 3 years ago when the pricing was in the $140k range and now they're almost all at $190+ -- would have been a great investment. Perhaps the GT3 can be NSX like in which it could be driven for a year or 2 and sell at little to no loss.

Any other takes on GT3 vs R8?

We actually sold our 6 month old at the time 2008 GT3 for the NSX many years ago. The GT3 is raw power, raw handling and a true race car experience but to 99% of people it's just another Porsche. Doesn't stand out much and it really can't be a daily driver. Extremely front long overhang causes it to scrape everywhere and we are very accustomed to driving lowered cars and the GT3 was stock! Great power but not that much torque so it's not usable power. There's a guy on m3 forum who bought a new 2015 GT3 and sold it for a M4. His reasons were similar in that the GT3 no matter how awesome can't really be a daily driver street car no matter how much some people pretend it to be.

The R8 v10 CAN easily be a DD and would feel equally comfortable on the racetrack, going to Tahoe, or making a quick trip to Costco or picking up kids at daycare. (all of which we've done with our R8).

R8 > GT3 is our 2 cents

some photos to help:

Beautiful machines - you must like white (that's my favorite color for the R8). Thanks for the analysis. I thought most people who own GT3 rave about how great of a car it is but its good to get some practical first hand information. I've daily driven the NSX for a year in SoCal without a problem but I'm assuming it is easier to drive and live with than a GT3.

Beautiful machines - you must like white (that's my favorite color for the R8). Thanks for the analysis. I thought most people who own GT3 rave about how great of a car it is but its good to get some practical first hand information. I've daily driven the NSX for a year in SoCal without a problem but I'm assuming it is easier to drive and live with than a GT3.

Euro is pretty much spot on about everything that was said, even the prius/i8 comparison to an extent lol

but you're really looking at 2 groups of cars too, 2 seaters and 2+2s
so if you need the 2+2s id go for the i8 personally if you want something different and its still plenty fast, it really does surprise you. the back seats are def usable as i fit 2 girls in the back constantly and they dont complain, its crazy, ive never experienced that in any other 2+2 with females. However, if you plan on bigger passengers idk how that would go over. and the prius comment can be seen with the regenerating in the i8, its def weird at first. gtrs and 911s tho are def still good cars tho but theyre both too common for me, the gtr may b a lil too rough for most for DDing

if your just looking for a 2 seater tho, drive both and pick one, you cant lose lol i personally went with R8 (a specific one that ive always wanted) as it is less common and ive always loved the car. the gt3 tho is one of the funnest cars imo, yes the torque doesnt hit right away but its a drivers/track car and instant mounds of torque is no bueno. if your good with buying you can easily make money off either in a purchase within a year but more guaranteed money with the gt3. Also side bonus note, r8s seem to have more quirks with fixes than gt3s, atleast from what ive read

here's the M3 owner who regretted buying his 2015 GT3, interesting read from an honest guy since most people won't admit this:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185806

In all honesty, we have access to plenty of cars in our stable but the one we always grab the keys to FIRST is the Yukon Denali (or our trusty ML) as it does everything with no drama in comfort. Driving any of our sports cars/sedans require some planning and a diligent eye for road hazards. Especially during bad weather....

But assuming you are buying this car for those 10% special occasions, go with the R8, you won't regret it for sure! We've had quite a few over the years, they are rock solid and trouble free.

P.S. We'll add if you want a 2+2, go shop the Ferrari FF, nice pre-owned models are just slightly more than a i8 and WAY more fun :)

Last edited:
Back