Quit smoking for an NSX

shawn110975

Suspended
Ok last night I was told if I quit smoking I can buy another NSX.

(My wife to be) is the BOMB, should I try and get an 05 or like a 2000. I am not a fan of the BUBBLE EYES. but the LBBP is growing on me. so if it LBBP then 05. what do you guys think. I have 30K and I know I need 50K+
to make the 05 happen

but a great looking 2000 is do-able right now. should I save up some more for the 05 or get the 2000 Now? and make my driveway a Monument to NSX's?

I'd just get the 02+ since it is a lot more updated. You get the silver stitched interior, perforated seats, silver console and color matched interior if you find the right options. You also save money on having the update the back end of a 02 + and do not need to buy side skirts either. I personally love the updated bubble headlights, I think it makes the NSX looks more modern.

(My wife to be) is the BOMB, should I try and get an 05 or like a 2000. I am not a fan of the BUBBLE EYES. but the LBBP is growing on me. so if it LBBP then 05. what do you guys think. I have 30K and I know I need 50K+
to make the 05 happen

but a great looking 2000 is do-able right now. should I save up some more for the 05 or get the 2000 Now? and make my driveway a Monument to NSX's?

Awesome... Does your wife have a sister who also thinks alike? If you already have a pre 02, then it would be best to pick up an 02+. Just so both cars don't look alike.

to make the 05 happen

I'm with you on the headlamps. I am not a fan of the bubble lights. Saw a 2002 the other day in person and the lamps are all pitted. IMO a 2001 is the car to get. all the updates (ABS, etc)and the hide-away head lamps. Hard to find though. Not many built and very few ever sell.

Shawn, I hate to say this - but if I were you - I'd sell the one you have and put that with the other funds and get one really nice NSX. What would be the reason to have 2 of them? I'm not sure I follow your logic unless you want your current car as a track vehicle and then you'll need more funds to get it into track shape. If you plan to drive you car on the road as a daily or partial daily then invest in one really just "right" NSX. I'd stay with the 2001 too. Just sell your car and wait - then you'll have the cash to pounce when just the right one comes along - there may be a Zanardi in your future???? You never know. You'll have more choices and be ready to deal if you have the bucks in hand.

My 2 cents worth. If you are young - and you are yet to be married - buddy things are going to change when you get hitched - you just better strap em down cause that is a sure thing dude. That's what she's saying now - but when you get married other things have a way of changing perspective really fast! All I can say is don't get too comfy with the idea of 2 NSXs. I see a mini van in your future. :biggrin:

But think about it if you have only one really good one - you won't have to sell it. It'll be your baby - till another type of baby comes .....remember I'm 60 - kind of been there and done that....also now's the time to get really great deals on toys.

Last edited:
smart very smart TIM. thanks guys, I might just buy some Bolt-ons, and be happy.

smart very smart TIM. thanks guys, I might just buy some Bolt-ons, and be happy.

Shawn, I've thought of the same thing - sell mine and buy a newer one - but then I take an asprin, lay down, and get over it.

You know I'm on your side bud, I'm just sayin.... All of us are really liking the possibilities here - like your really good friend LoveNSXs - right he really likes my logic! Right now I'm his best friend aren't I LoveNSX???:wink:

Really though Shawn - you got a good deal on yours -you have it in good shape - quiting smoking is a great idea anyway - your girlfriend just wants you around for the long haul - we'd all encourage you to quit - especially while your young! Especially now. I can say that cause I am a "reformed" smoker - I've quit 3 times now. I am off of them for good. You see I don't want to take the suspense out of dying. It's a good thing dude - you'll be happy you did - cause the longer you smoke the harder it is - take it from me. Enough of my little soap box on that note - sorry for the side bar advice.

But I really meant the thing about selling and buying one really nice low mile beauty. Think about it - like I said - I'm on your side my man! :wink:

This thread is worthless with or without pictures. If you need your soon to be wife to give you a reason to quit smoking with the reward of getting another NSX, unfortunately you are destined to fail. On the otherhand, if you wanted to quit because you're going to have a baby, then I'd say your chances of quitting smoking are much better.

I'm only saying this because I help my patients who are trying to quit and it is a very difficult addiction to break. Nevertheless, I certianly do hope you are able to quit smoking and I'll be the first one to applaud you on the acquisition of your new NSX.

^^I agree, you have to want to quit (I say that as a former smoker)

Also, if you are getting married soon.....do you think that spending $50K (including your entire savings) on a car is really the right thing to do? Not to turn this into a financial advice thread.......but,for newlyweds there are plenty more important things than spending $50K on a car.

If you are happy with yours, just buy some mods and be done with it. I guess you have to ask...is depleting my savings for a newer version of what I already have going to make me that much happier?

My advice, quit smoking because you want to....not because of a reward.

As already stated, sell the one you have now (if you can in this market) and get an 02 or newer. You will never need another sports car after that. You wont think should I get a newer one...you're done.

Then you can get the minivan to go with it.:biggrin:

My 2 cents worth. If you are young - and you are yet to be married - buddy things are going to change when you get hitched - you just better strap em down cause that is a sure thing dude. That's what she's saying now - but when you get married other things have a way of changing perspective really fast! All I can say is don't get too comfy with the idea of 2 NSXs. I see a mini van in your future. :biggrin:

But think about it if you have only one really good one - you won't have to sell it. It'll be your baby - till another type of baby comes .....remember I'm 60 - kind of been there and done that....also now's the time to get really great deals on toys.

This is great advice from Tim, Shawn. I bought my NSX when I was dating my wife. I married her last year. When we were dating, I had a whole big NA2 Type-R conversion plan mapped out with the cash ready to do it. Now that I am married, that cash went to a house down payment instead. She is really cool though and lets me mod and encourages me to get out there and drive the car. I almost cried with joy when she said OK to headers and short gears a few weeks ago. ;) Anyway, things change when you get married. I say keep what you've got and hold on tight. :D

when i graduated from medical school last year, i wanted to get an nsx. residency salary is like working for minimum wage, but my wife never opposed the idea. this year, she even talked her mom into loaning me the money for my nsx. i ended up paying cash for mine... definitely a keeper. :biggrin:

It doesn't matter how you stop smoking, just that you do it. The only smoking in your life should be your wife and your tyres....

It doesn't matter how you stop smoking, just that you do it. The only smoking in your life should be your wife and your tyres....

Anyone else notice that NSXBarque is sporting a new avatar - as in new car????? Nice looking avatar Dennis! Have you figured out how to post pics yet - sorry I'm no help. I can't find the email that told a prime buddy sent me that explains it. Wish someone would tell us both...lol. I could post some of my high riding NSX and then folks would understand why I need to lower it....:rolleyes:

Adios - where's Shawn anyway....:smile:

I'm more of a performance oriented person.

The bubble eyes (aka- frog eyes) are really for people that like to make sure that others know that they have more $$$ to spend.

Bottom line is that all NSX's needs power, handling and braking mods.

I would go for a hardtop (usually older ones are easier to find) and use that saved $$$$ for the aforementioned mods.

Back