Question with buying a newer NSX or older NSX

Hi all,

I have been a member of this forum since 2001. I recently changed my username because my old one doesn't work again.

I am looking for a NSX now, I am thinking whether I should get a higher milage then rebuild a race engine by comptech or should I look for a post '97 with 6-spd and 3.2 liter? Both route might cost about the same, however, I don't see a lot of people rebuild their NSX engine to a race engine. Can anyone give me idea which route is more reliable? It is good to have a new engine, however, I might have to fix a lot of different parts. What do you think?

Why do you want a "race" engine? Are you planning on racing the car? I have had my car for 10 years and about 90K miles and I haven't had to "fix a lot of parts", as you put it, and I drive my car pretty hard when I get the chance to (including many track events).

I agree with Ken. Sounds like you had an NSX before, no? So perhaps a test drive of a 97+ (or whichever you didn't have before) would be best. If it is going to be a frequent track car, an earlier one would be best IMO. More parts. Cheaper tuning. Coupe. Non power steering. You know the deal. Welcome back!

Hi all,

I have been a member of this forum since 2001. I recently changed my username because my old one doesn't work again.

I am looking for a NSX now, I am thinking whether I should get a higher milage then rebuild a race engine by comptech or should I look for a post '97 with 6-spd and 3.2 liter? Both route might cost about the same, however, I don't see a lot of people rebuild their NSX engine to a race engine. Can anyone give me idea which route is more reliable? It is good to have a new engine, however, I might have to fix a lot of different parts. What do you think?

Both won't cost the same. The older one with the race engine in the long run will definitely cost more. Those engine builds are not cheap... then you will need all the supporting stuff... and before you know it you are putting more and more money into it.

Thanks for your warm welcome and all of your response to my question. I haven't driven a post '97 NSX before, can you please tell me how is it different to the pre '97. The horsepower seems similar (290 and 270); however, the 0-60 time is almost 1 sec apart. does the power feel a big difference in person?

For other car, I hear a 5 spd tranny is strong and can handle more power than the 6 spd tranny. Is it the same to the NSX?

When I used to own the BMW E36, I heard it from the tuner from Europe that they like the 5 speed transmission better because it is stronger or something. Also, for the Mitsubishi Evolution, a lot of people talk about have the 5 speed tranny because it is stronger and taller gear ratio for the FI car.

The horsepower seems similar (290 and 270); however, the 0-60 time is almost 1 sec apart.
No, it isn't. Typical 0-60 times in magazine tests are around 5.3 seconds for a 5-speed '91-94 NSX Coupe, and 4.9 seconds for a 6-speed '97-05 NSX-T. These are for bone stock cars under standardized conditions.

According to Bob Butler's calculations (which are consistent with the magazine tests), the six-speed transmission improves 0-60 times by 0.2 second, the extra 20 horsepower improves 0-60 times by 0.4 second, but the extra weight of the later NSX-T hampers 0-60 times by 0.2 second.

For other car, I hear a 5 spd tranny is strong and can handle more power than the 6 spd tranny. Is it the same to the NSX?
No.

5 speed is stronger than a 6 speed, but both are fine up to 400 rwhp. If you are going with a monster turbo, 5 speed might be preferable. 6 speed would be otherwise.

having driven both i would just add that although the 6 speed may be marginaly faster, it feels a lot faster because the ratios are closer, the engine winds up quicker, there is more noise... more going on... RPM's don't drop much on shifts, the car feels quicker.

You didn't say, have you owned an NSX before? everyone that has never really owned one is always concerned about power.

Ops, sorry that i missed your question. No, I never owned a NSX before. I test drove a few back then at '01, but wasn't able to strike the deal with the owner. Now, I have more money in the pocket, and am looking at my dream car again. When I test drove the NSX, they are pre-97.

For a NA car with High rpm redline, is it better to get the 6spd because it can rev faster into the vtec range?

I am planning to spend about 10K-15K to the nsx. Is it better to buy a post 97 and drop the SC or is it better to buy a cheap, high miles '91 and rebuild the engine? The question might sound silly, but i don't know any better than the people who own one.

having driven both i would just add that although the 6 speed may be marginaly faster, it feels a lot faster because the ratios are closer, the engine winds up quicker, there is more noise... more going on... RPM's don't drop much on shifts, the car feels quicker.

I agree with this.

I have a 94 that I just swapped to a 6 speed. One of my oldest friends has a 97. The transmission FEELS like it makes a bigger difference than the .2L by a long shot. I would say that his 3.2L 6speed targa with an exhaust is VERY close to my 3.0L 6speed coupe with H/E, light fly.

Ops, sorry that i missed your question. No, I never owned a NSX before. I test drove a few back then at '01, but wasn't able to strike the deal with the owner. Now, I have more money in the pocket, and am looking at my dream car again. When I test drove the NSX, they are pre-97.

For a NA car with High rpm redline, is it better to get the 6spd because it can rev faster into the vtec range?

I am planning to spend about 10K-15K to the nsx. Is it better to buy a post 97 and drop the SC or is it better to buy a cheap, high miles '91 and rebuild the engine? The question might sound silly, but i don't know any better than the people who own one.

I would personally want the 6 speed. That means 97+. You know, what a car does on paper and how it feels are different things. A Miata isn't fast, but it feels fast. A Mercedes CL600 is crazy fast, but it doesn't feel nearly as fast as it is. I think a mistake many make is they look at numbers, but the reason anyone wants good numbers is because he thinks it will make for a fun car. Why does anyone need to go from 0-60 in 4? because the assumption is that it will be fun. So why not concentrate on things that will enhance the driving fun/experience and not just numbers?

What makes the NSX fun are things like its low stance, its view of the road, its precise steering, its sounds. I invested heavily in an exhaust system, because it makes the car more fun if not really faster. There are mods you can do that will make for a fast car, but it won't be very fun.

Also, and I know I will get some heat for this, I think the Targa makes this car very fun on a nice day. You are not always at the track. Yes the coupe is more rigid but... why do you think girls like convertibles? because it's fun to get some air in your hair (wow that rhymed). I hope I didn't just call myself a girl... I think I did... lol...

Also you are losing a lot more with mods... so if you ever sell it... you would get a lot more for an NA2 car than an NA1 with all these heavy (and mostly illegal) mods on it. Race engines, whatever that is, probably will never be as reliable as a stock motor with some milder mods. Do you want to have a really fast NSX that you always are working on or can you give up a bit of that speed and have a more fun to drive car that you get to drive a lot more of? If you asked me this when I was 20, I'd say get the fast one. I have been through that now, and come to my senses (you'd think), and prefer a car not as wild but more practical.

I think your question is very legitimate however. How old are you anyway if you don't mind my asking...

Thanks turbo2go for your in depth analysis of my question. The people here and the owner of NSX is one of the biggest factor why i want to get NSX. If I asked the same question in other forum, they might start bashing my question because it's silly.

Going back to your question, I am in the late 20. I have a Mit. evolution now but i don't really enjoy driving the car. Not that the car is bad or doesn't perform well, but I feel the fun driving a 4wd. It's a easy to drive car but not a fun car to drive. I think this is what you mean by fast vs fun.

Like I said, the NSX is a blast to drive for several reasons. I think one of the most important is it's seating position. Low and forward. The road passes by in front of your face like you are doing street louge... you are doing 40 and it feels like you are going 70. You feel planted, and secure. The steering responds to the tiniest of inputs. You get feedback through the wheel, through your seat, through the shifter, through the not-so-smooth quivering engine directly behind your head. Everytime I drive this car, I have a blast. Your Mitsubishi Evo probably has little of this now. So it's less fun.

This is a totally different car than an Evo. If I am guessing right, you probably like the looks of the NSX a lot... then you look at its 270 HP, which is probably well below what your evo is now making, and you are thinking you will be missing something. Maybe you see yourself at a stoplight with your old car next to you about to kick your ass. :biggrin: So then you start thinking you must mod this car to make it right cuz you sure aren't gonna lose a race to an evo punk :D ... and you ask about the race engine and supercharger. Am I way off?

My recommendation to you is still to get the nicest, cleanest NSX you can find and not worry about mods (by the way several people were calling me 'mod king' at the last acura meet but that's another story). You really have to own the car a while and then see what is important to you. The NSX is 3000 pounds. It's a lot lighter than your Evo. It may not be super fast, but its nimble. It's Bruce Lee. You won't win a lot of drag races with it. Don't even bother. Just spend some time learning what this car is about (by driving it I mean). You may find yourself asking about a non-compliance rear beam or toe links before you are asking about a supercharger.

Don't look at me, I am a bad example of how to go about this. Really.

Last edited:
My recommendation to you is still to get the nicest, cleanest NSX you can find and not worry about mods

This is the best advice for you IMO. Get to know the car as it sits with no mods (considering you can find an "unmolested" one), and determine what you think might need to be changed to suit your driving style.

I'm still not sure why you think you would need to immediately rebuild an older engine. There are plenty of early engines with over 100K miles that run well and run strong. :confused:

Thanks a lot for your response. I have a feeling that the NSX is lack of power, and this is why i want to add more power to it. Before I consider buying a NSX, I was looking at the cayman S with a later on engine swap to a Carrera S engine. well it's another story... Back to the NSX, you are right, I should find an unmolested car and drive it for a while before i consider changing. BTW, I think I have misinformed you. I am not planning to rebuild the engine after 1 year. the problem i have is i don't know whether I should pick a pre 97 NSX or post 97s. Thanks for your previous post, i might lean toward the pre 97 because it is lighter. If i want to trasplant from 5 spd to 6 spd, does it cost a lot for this conversion? Thanks

I would personally want the 6 speed. That means 97+. You know, what a car does on paper and how it feels are different things. A Miata isn't fast, but it feels fast. A Mercedes CL600 is crazy fast, but it doesn't feel nearly as fast as it is. I think a mistake many make is they look at numbers, but the reason anyone wants good numbers is because he thinks it will make for a fun car. Why does anyone need to go from 0-60 in 4? because the assumption is that it will be fun. So why not concentrate on things that will enhance the driving fun/experience and not just numbers?

That is one of the wisest comments I have read on the net. Going fast and feeling you are going fast are two very different things.

Thanks a lot for your response. I have a feeling that the NSX is lack of power, and this is why i want to add more power to it. Before I consider buying a NSX, I was looking at the cayman S with a later on engine swap to a Carrera S engine. well it's another story... Back to the NSX, you are right, I should find an unmolested car and drive it for a while before i consider changing. BTW, I think I have misinformed you. I am not planning to rebuild the engine after 1 year. the problem i have is i don't know whether I should pick a pre 97 NSX or post 97s. Thanks for your previous post, i might lean toward the pre 97 because it is lighter. If i want to trasplant from 5 spd to 6 spd, does it cost a lot for this conversion? Thanks

A clean 97 will cost you 15k more than a clean 91. What you are paying for is 3.2 liter motor, 6-speed transmission, lighter weight starter, alternator(95+), updated air conditioning, suspension geometry unicolored body versus black roof, larger wheels for better control/traction optional PAS power assisted steering, more sensors which makes it easier to diognose problems OBD2, targa roof, passanger air bag, cup holders (favorite update). It starts to add up to a very fun and comfortable car. Me personaly when I find the right car it will be for street use only not track and if I were looking for a track car it would be not be a garage queen converted to racer car. 91 is easier to turbo though OBD1

BTW a Carrera S motor versus a Cayman S is not very big gains in power no where near a turbo NSX. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Siulonbow, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to your e-mail. If you know or are close to Shad that's pretty big. Between the two cars you sent me... I like the black one provided you are going to have shad do up the motor. Everything else is done on that car already. A lot of money invested. The red one needs some work even if it's low milage. I would consider the black one, or get an NA2 (97+). If you get Shad to do the engine and you do a 6 speed swap at some point that black one will be one hell of an NSX.

This is all provided you want a fun car to drive, not a garage queen. Otherwise you are better off with the low milage red one.

No, I never owned a NSX before.
I have a feeling that the NSX is lack of power, and this is why i want to add more power to it.
You have no idea what you are talking about, because you have no experience to draw from.

If you want to buy an NSX, go ahead and buy an NSX. Live with it for a few months, bone stock. See what you like about it, and what you don't. Only then will you be able to develop an informed opinion on whether or not the NSX lacks enough power for you (or if there are any other changes you would like to make).

Get some experience instead of jumping to baseless conclusions.

..........If I am guessing right, you probably like the looks of the NSX a lot... then you look at its 270 HP, which is probably well below what your evo is now making, and you are thinking you will be missing something. Maybe you see yourself at a stoplight with your old car next to you about to kick your ass. :biggrin: So then you start thinking you must mod this car to make it right cuz you sure aren't gonna lose a race to an evo punk :D ... and you ask about the race engine and supercharger. Am I way off?

That's hilarious....very funny.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have test-drove a few NSX (NA1, NA2, and NA1 with CTSC). Other than the power difference from the 3, I really like the feeling of the car. It feels like a go-cart. I have never experience any car like the NSX before. I have driven cayman S a few times, but it is nothing like the NSX. At this point, I am deciding which of the three i should get and will enjoy for a long time.

Turbo2go, thank you very much for your analysis again. I like your reply and comment to my situation, I couldn't find a better reply than yours. Thanks everyone for your input again.

Back