Question: Throttle Response and the NSX

I don't think ATI damper's any lighter than OEM damper. how does it improve throttle response?
For rotating objects it's not necessarily weight but MOI that's the factor. With that said... I didn't feel the ATI was worth it. Went with a brand new OEM unit. Argument being Honda designed the damper specifically for the NSX resonance frequency. I hear lots of good things about the ATI though. Pretty much the standard for aftermarket dampers.

I don't think ATI damper's any lighter than OEM damper. how does it improve throttle response?

it is lighter, that's how. i held both in my hands. i actually have it on my car. do people just want to argue for the sake of arguing? :rolleyes:

it is lighter, that's how. i held both in my hands. i actually have it on my car. do people just want to argue for the sake of arguing? :rolleyes:

sorry I should have put a question mark after 'damper', it wasn't a statement

it would be good to know actual weight difference in grams

Last edited:
it would be good to know actual weight difference in grams

According to Autowave, the ATI pulley is 822 grams (1 lb 13 oz) lighter than the stock pulley (http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1308425&postcount=28).

As RYU said, it’s not directly the weight that impacts how fast the engine can rev, it’s the MOI – the moment of inertia. That’s determined by the weight and how far that weight is located from the axis of rotation. I don’t know whether the mass of the ATI pulley is located, on average, closer or farther from the axis of rotation than in the stock pulley. The outer diameter should be the same in any case so that it can drive the belts at the same speed as stock.

If you think about how small the crank pulley is compared to the clutch and flywheel and how much less it weighs, changing the clutch and flywheel should have a much larger impact on the engine’s willingness to rev than the crank pulley does.

However, the ATI pulley should damp the torsional resonance of the crankshaft very well and net a couple of horsepower up top. And in a naturally-aspirated NSX, every horsepower counts!

great info greenberet, thanks. Your point on moment of inertia is good, it's not only how many grams but where they're positioned and how the whole lot, including flexible parts, resonate with the engine.

Last edited:
The thing that annoys me is the Gasp the engine takes on a blip from Idle & the slight delay in revs increasing.
It's not a problem if the Revs are about 1500 & higher.

I wonder if the Manifold design is a bit basic.

What can be done to improve the NSX's throttle response? :confused:

I've just stepped back into an NSX after a short stint in a Boxster S.

Driving that ugly little German piece of shit obviously dulled your senses. There's nothing wrong with an NSX's throttle response.

Welcome back to automotive Nirvana by the way!

Re: Question: Throttle Respone and the NSX

I respectfully suggest that perhaps you are talking about torque/power and not throttle response unless there was something wrong with your early car. In strickly technical terms, throttle response is the time it takes for the car to move when the throttle is moved. Not the rate of acceleration, but the split second lag time before the power hits. The drive by wire and the single clutch are both known to slow this time a bit. Thats why the go back to old comment. If you think the old car lacks "something", it's likely you simply want more power at a lower rpm. I stand by the razer sharp throttle response comments of the early cars.

As a side note, exhaust systems most often dull the OE throttle response somewhat. Not enough to avoid them, but a particular header exhaust combo could introduce a pretty noticable degredation of TR.

+1 on this. I had a boxster s and the throttle response of my 91 nsx is WAY sharper. I have CT headers and exhaust..

Back