Question: I thought the NSX ABS was the first time ABS was used but...

I thought the NSX ABS was the first time ABS was used on a production car but that appears to be untrue. Was there something about the ABS that was unique? Maybe the first Honda ABS? I posted an video on you tube and think I made an error in my statement. I would like to clarify but haven't found anything in search.

From the silver/black hardcover book:

"the introduction of the 4-Channel Anti lock Braking System as standard equipment on the Acura NSX. This new 4-channel unit uses a sensor at each wheel. As a result of 4-channel control, each wheel can be independently controlled. When maximum braking effort is applied, brake line pressure is modulated only to the wheels that verge on lockup. This system is particularly suited to the weight distribution of the mid-engine NSX."

ABS systems have been in cars since the 70s though. Not sure when 4-channel systems were first used though.

From the silver/black hardcover book:

"the introduction of the 4-Channel Anti lock Braking System as standard equipment on the Acura NSX. This new 4-channel unit uses a sensor at each wheel. As a result of 4-channel control, each wheel can be independently controlled. When maximum braking effort is applied, brake line pressure is modulated only to the wheels that verge on lockup. This system is particularly suited to the weight distribution of the mid-engine NSX."

ABS systems have been in cars since the 70s though. Not sure when 4-channel systems were first used though.

I may just be wrong across the board. Thanks

I had an '87 Acura Legend Coupe which had, I think, the first application of Honda's proprietary ALB (Anti-Lock Brake) system. As I understand it they chose not to go with Bosch ABS, which was available at the time. Honda's ALB offered the (claimed) advantage of using 2 channels, each one controlling the wheels at opposite corners of the car so that if one channel failed, you still had braking at the front and the rear. 4-channel ALB is what was offered on the NSX until 2001, I think, when they dropped their proprietary system and switched to Bosch's ABS. All this is just what I remember off the top of my head and may not be entirely accurate, but I think it's pretty close.

edit:
yup: http://acuranews.com/channels/acura...1986/releases/1987-acura-legend-coupe-alb-srs

Last edited:

I thought the Porsche 959 was the first 4-channel ABS application but the NSX was certainly among the first, and the 959 was never officially imported AFAIK. (I believe the 959 also had titanium connecting rods.)

4-channel ALB is what was offered on the NSX until 2001, I think, when they dropped their proprietary system and switched to Bosch's ABS.

Did you mean that the Honda 4 channel was offered until 1997? I believe that the compact ABS system first showed up in MY 1997. Is the Bosch ABS 4 channel? Just curious.

edit 1997, not '2000: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

Last edited:
ah - so I was correctly remembering there was something that changed with the ABS in 2000. thanks!
OK, and this corrects a gap in my knowledge; I thought the only change occurred in 2000 (ditching ALB for ABS). But apparently that occurred in '97 and a newer ABS was used from 2000 on.

As for 4-channel systems, the NSX *may* have been Honda's first use of one (under their proprietary ALB moniker). I'm pretty sure my Legend was a 2-channel system - I clearly remember the guy talking about the opposite corner thing, where if one channel fails, you still have 2 wheels with it on opposite corners of the car.

The 1st ABS on Japanese production car was the Honda Prelude in 1982.
At that time, it was just 2ch (Front/Rear) system and Honda named it as 4w-A.L.B..

In 1987, Honda introduced the 3ch (FR/FL/Rear) system on Legend Coupe.

Then, in 1990, comes our NSX.
It’s the 1st 4ch (FR/FL/RR/RL) system for Honda.

On our NSX, there are at least 6 different ABS setup through its production years.

The 1st gen. up to certain VIN on 91/92 models.
The 2nd gen. 91/92-96 models with original size brake calliper/disc.
The 2nd gen. 92/93-95 models for Type-R using the same software as above but different piston spring setup. Despite using the same software, the weight distribution, chassis setup, pad, etc were different.
The 2nd gen. 97-99 models with different piston spring setup and different software setting for the introduction of larger brake calliper/disc.
The 3rd gen. one body solution on 99/00-05 standard models.
The 3rd gen. one body solution on NSX-R 02-05 models with different software setting from above.
(Please note that the definition of the Year model is different from country to country and also the introduction of the 2nd gen. ABS was not exactly at the same time across the world so please take these into your consideration.)

Kaz

Back