Question for those that own an arcade game machine

I'm looking to purchase an arcade machine but I was wondering about the maintenance on it. I don't want to be SOL if let's say the joystick starts acting funny or if some of the buttons stop responding. What is the maintenance schedule like and is it something I can do myself?

I know it's a long shot that someone will be able to answer my question but it can't hurt to ask.
Thanks in advance

Matt

I would be interested to see the pictures that you have. I also am looking to purchase an arcade machine, as well as a pinball machine.

I noticed from Fry's Electronics that they sell the frame of the arcade, and will then incorporate a console like the XBox or Playstation to it to simulate the old-school arcade experience. Can anyone comment on these?

Thanks,
J.

Awesome thread. I have Street Fighter but the controls are backwards and the game is old. It was fun back in the day but im trying to get something more modern and interesting. A racing game would be cool. Anyone know of any good online places that sell these (with delivery).

I collect the arcade stand up and pinball machines, I have ~25 machines in my game room. there is another prime member who collects them too. I remember him posting pics one Sunday night at chat. The older ones can be trouble after a while, but fun too. A brand new machine with just home use should last you a long time.

I have 2 Golden Tee's, Track and Field, Ms PacMan for the wife, and Terminator, and have had little problems with any of them.

I built a MAME machine from from an old SF2 Jamma cabinet. Maint is a total snap, these machines were meant to take serious abuse and be able to be repaired in like 5 minutes. Just some microswitches that cost .50 a piece and buttons are like a dollar. I can post full details and pics of my setup if you're interested. In a nutshell - full standup w/ 27" arcade monitor 2 - 8 way sticks w/ 6 buttons each. 1P & 2P start buttons. Total out of pocket including the computer that runs the whole thingwas about 1k for a sick setup. I can almost run everything made up until about 2001 including old Laserdisk games like Dragon's Lair. :wink:

If I needed to pick two arcade machines that I'd love to have, one would be the original Star Wars vector game for nostalgic reasons, and the other would be 4-player CyberBall Tournament because it was such a fun multi-player game.

-Randy

Here are some pictures of the MAME machine I built. It was a real pain, but only cost me about $500.00 - everything included. I modeled it after Mortal Kombat; my sister basically re-drew all the MK artwork in high-res for me with a few little personal touches (my initials, EJ, instead of TM, trade mark, and other little things).

Like SaberXs setup, it basically plays all the arcade games up to 2K1 and more keep getting added - I just haven't gotten all the most current ones.

If anybody else is interested in making their own, I probably still have the plans sitting around somewhere. It really takes a lot of work and a lot of tools... remember I built everything from 3 boards of MDF, paint, plexi, a 27" TV, arcade controller parts, and a computer. The top banner even lights up when you turn it on! :biggrin:

stand_up.jpg

stand_up2.jpg

stand_up3.jpg

WOW! Wonderful! I considered buying a reday-for-mame cabinet that only needed the PC so many times but I got no good info on what to look for... I even asked here on NSXPRIME 1-2 years ago.

Thanks for the responses. I am pretty sure that I will be purchasing a Street Fighter II Turbo machine.

redshift, I like your mortal combat setup. If you have the plans, I would definitely be interested in seeing them.

It has always been my dream to own a 4 or 8-seater unit of that old Sega racing game Daytona. To me that game is drifting at its finest. :biggrin:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Daytona 2.jpg
    Daytona 2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 246
One of my coworkers collects, fixes, and resells arcade machines...I'm sure he could help.

I used to collect pinball machines and coinops. I got rid of everything long ago except my pride and joy... Atari Quantum. Only 200 ever built. I finally parted with it last year for about 20x what I paid for it... I'm still sad about that :(. Pics here http://www.nema.com/quantum/

Depending on the game, it can be very difficult to get parts (and impossible to get art if there's cabinet damage). Popular games sometimes have remanufactured kits available (such as the video and power supply boards for Atari X/Y Wells Gardner setups) but obscure games may be impossible to repair, depending on what goes. Usually the logic boards are fine, it's power supplies and video boards that tend to have problems, those can generally be fixed by someone knowledgeable. Check out newsgroups such as rec.games.video.arcade.collecting, rec.games.video.arcade for more info.

FuryNSX said:
If I needed to pick two arcade machines that I'd love to have, one would be the original Star Wars vector game for nostalgic reasons, and the other would be 4-player CyberBall Tournament because it was such a fun multi-player game.

-Randy

I used to own the original Atari Star Wars X/Y game. It was great when it worked but they were prone to problems, especially the video and the steering wheel yoke/controller.

I have a Star Wars arcade game with Amplifone monitor. I had to replace a few things at the beginning: bump stops in the steering yoke, HV transformer ($130!), PC board edge connectors, and one deflection power transistor. It has been solid now for many years of light use. The mostly-black display is nothing like a modern game, so it has some novelty appeal for kids.

The best thing you can do is be careful about who you buy from and what you are actually buying. Buying from people who originally bought the game or have had it for most of its life will generally have equipment that has been taken care of. Buying off of an arcade that is going out of business or from a company that rents out and sells arcades will usually land you with an abused machine that was not well taken care of. If you are buying sight unseen make sure you work up some sort of agreement stating the what you expect from the machine (completely working display, not offcenter, all buttons working and responsive, etc...) so you don't get screwed after you have already paid for something. Basically it depends on how picky you are if you want all original games etc... I have a few that I was very picky about buying (original cabinets and hardware, current versions of the game, etc...) They are big hits at parties, but I still play them for nostalgia sometimes and they both still work great. I have never had any problems with mine at all, but if something ever breaks there are usually spare parts on ebay, or you could try and find a place that repairs them in your area. Here's a pic of two of mine, I'm still setting up the gameroom in my brand new house so I haven't decided exactly where I want to put them.

Attachments

• zArcades.jpg
    zArcades.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 66
I bought a complete Pole Position II stand-up for $50 on ebay a while back. It worked for about a day and then the screen started to go out. I've found ebverything I need to get it up and running again but I just don't have the time or space for it rght now.

We've got a full sized Ms Pac Man arcade machine and have had it about 6 years. It was in fair condition when we got it but in the first 3 years, I had to send the logic board for repair twice. Since then it's been pretty good though with no other repairs. I take all the connectors off about once a year and buff them clean (I used a pencil eraser) and put it back together.

I want our next arcade machine to be a Black Knight pinball. One of these days! :)

AWESOME Thread!! I too have been wanting to get a stand up arcade game but was in the dark on the subject. This thread has answered alot of my questions.

Thanks

My coworker was telling me that the explosion of the Death Star effect is the reason for so many Star Wars arcade cabinet monitors get blown out...something about the way the effect is achieved. He has one.

akira3d said:
My coworker was telling me that the explosion of the Death Star effect is the reason for so many Star Wars arcade cabinet monitors get blown out...something about the way the effect is achieved. He has one.

Yes, the HV cranks up to high current at the full 25kV for that effect. (Current draw is proportional to the total length of vectors on the screen at any instant, and white counts as 3 because it has all 3 colors.) The transformers chronically overheated. A newer transformer of a different design solves the problem permanently for $150 or more.

Back