Question about mods on NSXs and whether they increase or decrease value?

Hey Guys,

Since you guys are talking about prices and cars etc., I thought I'd put forth a question here to folks following this thread.

I've located a 2001 NSX in NM that has 27k miles on it from a guy on the list here. It has had a few mods and I don't know much about them or the manufacturers that supply them. They are as follows done by the Acura dealer out there in Albuquerque, NM.:

!. Clear bra in front after painting the front bumper due to "bugs"?
2.Montano Acura installed an ARK DT-X light weight exhaust. At idle, the exhaust note is similar to stock, but when moving the exhaust note is much more baritone, yet not too loud.
3. Montano Acura installed a JIC FLT-A2 fully adjustable coilover suspension. The car is lowered 3/4 inch, and the wheels pushed out 15mm via spacers.

I have no idea what a JIC coil over suspension is or more importantly how good it is. The car only has 27k miles on it. The owner says it was done strictly to be able to lower the car which he says that the 2 perches for the springs using Bilsteens would have done anyway and allowed him to lower the car 3/4" but he went the other way. His camber is around 2 negative and he eats tires about every 6000 miles, which I believe is high. I really don't much like the idea of replacing rear tires every year.

I'm curious if these mods help resale or if they would detract from a completely stock car. Usually mods don't escalate value and I'm inclined to think that anything that strays from stock to many would be a deterant or at best would not affect the price upward.

The guy seems to be in need of selling the car as he says "business is slow and the payments are becoming burdensome" - in relation to this thread here I think this is becoming a common theme for many and I don't see prices on anything going up. What someone's asking for something and what it really sells for are right now way different. Do you think these mods being non stock would increase or lower the value to most folks looking?

I'm sure that the TB and Water pump have NOT been replaced but it should be by now due to time. This in my opinion is another bargaining chip as it's 7 years or 105k miles - not just 105k miles. That is what is usually termed deffered maintenance and many out there are in that catagory. He now has 29k miles and says that he plans to do this at 30k miles anyway. He's an anethesiologist, I'd think business was always good for them, so I'm not sure about his need to sell. But that's what he says. Now he says his wife wants him to sell as he's also got an 85 Carrera - who knows.

Anyway any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Hope ya'll know something about the mods he's done and whether or not they are a strong or weak selling point.

Thanks a lot,
Tim<!-- / message -->

Hi

A lot of good questions. In my opinion the mods are minor and if anything should add some value, especially the exhaust.

I also have an adjustable suspension and at first had the tire wear problem due to excessive negative camber, but installed a mod from Dali Racing that corrects it. I know a couple of other companies have similar mods, so one of them will improve tire wear.

You should know that even stock NSXs have some negative camber and are known to go through tires (mainly the rears) that's part of what aids their excellent handling.

In addition my coilovers turned my car into a really sweet handling ride, tight and more controllable. Tradeoff is a harsher ride, so you might want to drive a stock one to compare and see if you like the firmer ride.

I will probably get a clear bra after the next time I repaint the bumper and hood, as our cars are more prone to rock chips due to their sleek hood and low profile. Ah, the price of beauty!

Hey Guys,

Since you guys are talking about prices and cars etc., I thought I'd put forth a question here to folks following this thread.

I've located a 2001 NSX in NM that has 27k miles on it from a guy on the list here. It has had a few mods and I don't know much about them or the manufacturers that supply them. They are as follows done by the Acura dealer out there in Albuquerque, NM.:

2.Montano Acura installed an ARK DT-X light weight exhaust. At idle, the exhaust note is similar to stock, but when moving the exhaust note is much more baritone, yet not too loud.
3. Montano Acura installed a JIC FLT-A2 fully adjustable coilover suspension. The car is lowered 3/4 inch, and the wheels pushed out 15mm via spacers.

I have no idea what a JIC coil over suspension is or more importantly how good it is. The car only has 27k miles on it. The owner says it was done strictly to be able to lower the car which he says that the 2 perches for the springs using Bilsteens would have done anyway and allowed him to lower the car 3/4" but he went the other way. His camber is around 2 negative and he eats tires about every 6000 miles, which I believe is high. I really don't much like the idea of replacing rear tires every year.

I'm curious if these mods help resale or if they would detract from a completely stock car. Usually mods don't escalate value and I'm inclined to think that anything that strays from stock to many would be a deterant or at best would not affect the price upward.

The guy seems to be in need of selling the car as he says "business is slow and the payments are becoming burdensome" - in relation to this thread here I think this is becoming a common theme for many and I don't see prices on anything going up. What someone's asking for something and what it really sells for are right now way different. Do you think these mods being non stock would increase or lower the value to most folks looking?

I'm sure that the TB and Water pump have NOT been replaced but it should be by now due to time. This in my opinion is another bargaining chip as it's 7 years or 105k miles - not just 105k miles. That is what is usually termed deffered maintenance and many out there are in that catagory. He now has 29k miles and says that he plans to do this at 30k miles anyway. He's an anethesiologist, I'd think business was always good for them, so I'm not sure about his need to sell. But that's what he says. Now he says his wife wants him to sell as he's also got an 85 Carrera - who knows.

Anyway any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Hope ya'll know something about the mods he's done and whether or not they are a strong or weak selling point.

Thanks a lot,
Tim<!-- / message -->

The bottom line is that it is extremely unlikely that you will recoup any money spent on mods when you sell your car. The vast majority of prospective buyers are looking for a stock car and are just not simply willing to pay any extra for any mods.

You'd have to find a prospective buyer who knows exactly what the mods are and would also want those specific mods on the car. I can tell you that I know exactly what the mods you have are but would not be interested in having those specific mods on my car which would mean I'm not going to want to pay for them. In fact, I know I would have to pay money to get them removed potentially so I would be willing to pay even less money than if they weren't installed. In addition, they're used by virtue of them being currently installed and wouldn't really want to pay more than 25%-50% of their new value.

Consequently, I would not think of mods as an investment. The chances that you would come in contact with a buyer who happens to be looking for the year you're selling with the mods you have is slim and none.

You raise a very interesting point from a phisolophical point of view in terms of what is a "modification" versus an "improvement". For example, a modification may be a body kit or a supercharger while an improvement may be better brake pads versus OEM. Two very different things. Is a clear bra a modification or an improvement? I would consider it an improvement.

I have no desire to own a modified NSX. That being said, I did have several "improvements" done to my car because the "upgrades" exceeded the OEM specs. None of my "improvements" are visible from an exterior or interior view, with one exception. I have upgraded slotted rotors for increased brake performance. Other than that, the car looks "stock".

Other "improvements" on my car include, Project Mu Type NS brake pads because they are superior to OEM when the calipers were rebuilt. Is this a modification or an improvement?

In addition, I've installed braided stainless steel brake lines with clear vinyl coating. Again, is this a modification or an improvement?

An other example of a modification/improvement on my car is the installation of the JDM NSX-Type S suspension. Is this a modification or is an example of installing a superior suspension system that Honda designed for the NSX Type S? Honda improved the NSX by introducing the NSX Type S. Did I modify my care or upgrade/improve my car? Interesting points...modification, upgrade, improvement...

Don't know. Where does it end? By installing newer/better tires on your car that exceed OEM is your car modified or improved?

Thanks for bringing up this discussion.

You raise a very interesting point from a phisolophical point of view in terms of what is a "modification" versus an "improvement". For example, a modification may be a body kit or a supercharger while an improvement may be better brake pads versus OEM. Two very different things. Is a clear bra a modification or an improvement? I would consider it an improvement.

I have no desire to own a modified NSX. That being said, I did have several "improvements" done to my car because the "upgrades" exceeded the OEM specs. None of my "improvements" are visible from an exterior or interior view, with one exception. I have upgraded slotted rotors for increased brake performance. Other than that, the car looks "stock".

Other "improvements" on my car include, Project Mu Type NS brake pads because they are superior to OEM when the calipers were rebuilt. Is this a modification or an improvement?

In addition, I've installed braided stainless steel brake lines with clear vinyl coating. Again, is this a modification or an improvement?

An other example of a modification/improvement on my car is the installation of the JDM NSX-Type S suspension. Is this a modification or is an example of installing a superior suspension system that Honda designed for the NSX Type S? Honda improved the NSX by introducing the NSX Type S. Did I modify my care or upgrade/improve my car? Interesting points...modification, upgrade, improvement...

Don't know. Where does it end? By installing newer/better tires on your car that exceed OEM is your car modified or improved?

Thanks for bringing up this discussion.

What is an "improvement" to one might not be for another.

Project Mu pads dust more and wear faster than OEM pads. That is not an improvement if one only drives the car on the street and below the level of performance of the OEM pads.

The Type-S suspension is less comfortable and lower than the OEM. Same scenario applies. Some drivers never push the car to the point of taking advantage of what the Type-S suspension offers. What if one's driveway is too steep for anything other than stock height?

SS brake lines are inherently better but why would the average joe need to spend extra money for them when the OEM lines will do perfectly fine?

All mods are in the eye of the beholder and one man's improvement might be another's detriment.

Last edited:
The car is lowered but not excessively, the wheels are push out 15mm for better looking stance, the bumper is now protected from terrible rock chips, it's got a very nice exhaust on it. I say install a camber kit for less neg. camber and enjoy the hell out of it. My .02.:wink:

What is an "improvement" to one might not be for another.

Project Mu pads dust more and wear faster than OEM pads. That is not an improvement if one only drives the car on the street and below the level of performance of the OEM pads.

The Type-S suspension is less comfortable and lower than the OEM. Same scenario applies. Some drivers never push the car to the point of taking advantage of what the Type-S suspension offers. What if one's driveway is too steep for anything other than stock height?

SS brake lines are inherently better but why would the average joe need to spend extra money for them when the OEM lines will do perfectly fine?

All mods are in the eye of the beholder and one man's improvement might be another's detriment.

Points well taken. However, the Type S suspension did not lower my car and it remains relatively stock height. Believe me, I have an extreme entry/exit into my underground garage, and that's complicated in that I live in the heart of San Francisco. If the Type S suspension would be a disadvantage in terms of height, I would have experienced that by now. That said, I love the experience of driving the car now versus the ride with the stock suspension. It's like the car is on rails and is EXTEMELY responsive. I'll acknowledge it might not be of everyone, but it's a hoot for me.

I agree regarding your point the brake pads. I don't track my car. I just want to ensure I have the best stopping power available to me on the street. For example I had lunch with another Prime member today. He wasn't in his NSX but got rear ended on the way up because the person behind him couldn't break in time... If I am able to improve my breaking performance, I'll take advantage of that. I am not a "go fast" guy, but I would like to think of myself as a "stop fast" guy.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with being the "average joe" in terms of their brakes. That being said, I feel much more comfortable when I am driving in the City and a SUV cuts me off because they can't see me in their rear view mirror and I have the braking power to stop on a dime within control. Happen often... you bet you. Same point on the 101 or the 80 when some butt head cuts you off to take an exit from the left lane... You get the point.

The braided lines were $100. Cheap insurance in my mind.

You bring up very good points. Then again, we have to go a little further regarding modifications which are aesthetic versus stock versus improvements.

Regarding detriments as you mentioned, can you please let me know which of my improvement/modifications that you would perceive as a detriment?

As a side note, I've owned a few NSX vehicles and have had one or another in the garage for the past ten years. None were "modified" or "improved" until the past few months. Sorry I missed those "improvements" over the years.

Did Honda do "improvements" or "modifications" from the 1991 to the 2005? What was the deal with the "R" or the "S" or the "S Zero"? Did they make a better car(s)? If one incorporates some of those Honda changes have you modified your car or have you improved it? Please keep in mind, I am not speaking of visual changes, nor of changes that were not Honda instituted.

Thanks in advance.

Type S suspension rides rougher than stock suspension, So for ride comfort, it is a downgrade. Up to 7/10 street driving, the advantage of Type S over stock is not noticeble. For most NSX owners, stock suspension is more than adequete for their driving skills.

I have to disagree. Most NSXs have mods. I've been to 4 NSXPOs and many NSX meets. A "100%" stock car is virtually non-existent. Most of the NSXs on eBay and autotrader have mods.
Steve

The NSXs that go to meets and NSXCA events are not representative of most NSXs worldwide. NSXCA and Prime members are atypical of the average NSX owner and as a whole are a little bit more well-informed and interested in tailoring their NSXs to suit their needs. The percentage of NSXCA and Prime members that track their cars are much greater than the percentage of all NSX owners worldwide.

As far as Ebay of the 23 NSXs currently for sale on Ebay only 7 make mention of or appear to have any mods other than stereo, wheels or clear bra. That means that ~70% of the NSXs on Ebay right now are essentially stock--what I would call a vast majority of the NSXs on Ebay.

I'm not going to go through AutoTrader but I'm going to guess that the percentage of stock NSXs listed for sale there is about the same.

Tim,

In terms of this car consider that when I bought my 2002 Imola the first thing's I did to it were:

a) put a set of JIC Coilovers on which improved the ride and lowered the car slightly (I much prefer the look of lowered NSX's).
b) Taitec GT Ligthweight exhaust as the NSX lacks the sound factor when driving
c) added oversized wheels to give the car a more aggressive stance.

This particular NSX in NM is in lovely condition. He also had a beautiful red-91 that had the best and most immaculate paint condition I've ever seen. His wife used to drive that car alot...

I have pictures of both of these cars if you want me to send them to you. The seller is a nice guy and I'm proud to say I'm affilated as a friend. He takes superb care of his vehicles...

Oh I forgot to say that my ex-91 and first NSX was bought with lots of mods on it. They don't really add any value and you'll never recoup the cost but do make the car more enjoyable so its an added bonus if you get a car with some mods already.:wink:

I agree that mods don't generally increase the price of the car much, but the mods on this car are in line with what most NSX owners would want. The coilovers and exhaust alone cost at least $3K so I would expect to see a price bump around a grand. Someone will save money on mods they would have eventually bought themselves.

I prioritized my search like this
#1 Documented maintenence history should be the one most important factor in buying a NSX. Defered maintenence should be negotiated into the price.
#2 A clean title car .(Beware of cars that reside in states where you can wash it)
#3 Condition of the car...ie. paint, glass, leather, etc
#4 Mods...Preferred nice Wheels, Suspension, & Exhaust

IMO A deferred TB/WP is worth ~ $2K price reduction.

Good Luck:smile:

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot,
Tim<!-- / message -->

Hey Guys,

Great response and thanks to all that have chimed in. To me, being a newbie to all this but not to sports cars in general it is interesting about mods. I've been a Porsche guy for 7 years and during that time many modify their 911s but more are purists so I'd agree with the majority of folks not moding their cars. Is that indicative of someone that leaves their car "naked" as one would suggest; I don't think so as there are surely more purists out there from a collectors standpoint that want everything perfectly stock. However, with that said, do mods enhance the driving experience - yes I believe it does as there are many companies out there devoted to modifications of all sorts from Turbos to superchargers, but more than anything it's suspension mods and actually engine internal mods as in mahle pistons, ported and polished heads, larger intakes and exhaust valves, different rods, more compression, lightened flywheels and there is one company Autofarm in the UK devoted entirely to modifying 911s by back dating them in appearance, setting up the suspension, and putting carbs on engines of later dates when fuel injection was already the standard for the model. Even their lightest mods concern the suspension and lightening the cars weight.

So I'd say if the mods are good ones then they may be a plus, but like one said here, what one might like another may not. So I'm glad to say that the owner has all the stock parts that were taken off so it is possible to return it to completely stock. However, that will cost money or time depending on ones level of DIYing to return the car to stock. That's a negative in the main part surely for a purist. So I'd agree with most here that mods are very subjective and not adding to the value of the car. But to some they may be a plus and it sounds to me like some of you think that the JIS coil overs are a plus.

Here's my next question to the group: MrBret and DavidF both mention camber adjustments or parts by Dali or some other manufacturers that will allow one to get most of the negative camber out or at least allow you to get back to the normal camber that the car came with stock. To me that's a plus because rear tires only lasting 6k miles is not what I'd like to see out of a performance mod. They wear enough as is in stock, which brings me to another question for you guys. What do you set the camber to, what degree, I beleive the owner told me stock is 1.5 degrees of negative camber - now those of you that have the camber reset what do you set it too? And more importantly to me, what is normal wear do you get out of the rear tires when you set your camber to whatever?

Some I've talked to say they've gone to a harder rubber rear tire and although it isn't as sticky it really kind of makes the car a little more "exciting"??? AND they get more like 10k or so out of the rears and that's a big difference. So what do you guys set the camber to that allows you the best rear tire wear and what are some of the tire selections to consider for better wear out of the rears?

Which camber adjusters or camber kits are available to reset JIS coil overs?

Thanks guys I appreciate your help,
Tim

after-market wheels & after-market stereo are 'stock'?

As far as Ebay of the 23 NSXs currently for sale on Ebay only 7 make mention of or appear to have any mods other than stereo, wheels or clear bra. That means that ~70% of the NSXs on Ebay right now are essentially stock--what I would call a vast majority of the NSXs on Ebay.
So, you're saying after-market wheels & after-market stereo constitutes "stock"? Not looking at whether they are easily/readily reversible... just trying to assess your definition of stock, w/o getting into semantics or arguing (more-so curious). Sure, they aren't in the same league as a wide-body conversion or F.I., but I wouldn't consider the NSX to be quote/unquote stock anymore (w/ after-market wheels/stereo/etc'). . .

Anywayz...

Other than scheduled maint'/service & functional-updates/fixes (meaning: window fix'it-thingies, billet door-repair kit: not billet handle replacement, Bose speaker/amp rebuild, climate-control unit rebuild, R134c A/C retro-fit, snap-ring fix, etc'), I *personally* feel everything else is non-stock (even if reversible such as bolt'ons, wheels, suspension, brakes, stereo, dress'up, CF-trim, lighting, steering-wheel, etc').

Even actual OE 'bits are quote/unquote non-stock on an earlier or late-model NSX (Type-S & NSX-R parts, Honda badging, '02+ front/rear fascia, JDM gearing, etc') IMHO... not that I wouldn't welcome them! Non-stock isn't/shouldn't be perceived as a negative, though in some cases it can be.

Differentiating concepts "modding", "improving", and "personalizing" becomes subject to interpretation depending on whether the individual(s) is/are purists, practical, or enthusiasts. . .

Also...

tbromley, familiarize yourself w/ this lil' thingie: Search & use it liberally/extensively. 99.999% of your queries, concerns, curiosities, and questions can be found in redundancy. . .

Last edited:
Re: after-market wheels & after-market stereo are 'stock'?

So, you're saying after-market wheels & after-market stereo constitutes "stock"? Not looking at whether they are easily/readily reversible... just trying to assess your definition of stock, w/o getting into semantics or arguing (more-so curious). Sure, they aren't in the same league as a wide-body conversion or F.I., but I wouldn't consider the NSX to be quote/unquote stock anymore (w/ after-market wheels/stereo/etc'). . .

I guess a car is not 100% stock anymore if it uses the long Denso oil filter as well. Where does one draw the line and what criteria does one use to determine the degree of "aftermarketness" between a wide-body kit and a Denso oil filter? I think common sense is appropriate.

True, a AM stereo, wheels or clear bra are not 100% stock but keep the car what I would call "essentially stock". I would consider an NSX with only either of those items essentially stock but not 100% stock. A K & N filter falls into that category as well.

That being said most NSXs are 100% stock and the vast majority essentially stock and therefore a stock NSX is what's expected at any given price point.

In addition, for some to say that something like the JIC-FLT A2 suspension would be desirable for most prospective buyers is just not so. First, that suspension isn't going to be as comfortable and is most likely going to be lower than stock height when purchased. If there are any height considerations money will have to be spent for adjustments/re-alignments.

And even the seller admits he has no idea what this JIC suspension is or how good it is, how old it is, how much it costs if it breaks, etc. The vast majority of prospective NSX buyers have no idea about performance suspensions or have a need for them. As such I would be suspicious of any suspension I didn't know about or need and not only would I not pay any additional money for it I would offer less money knowing it might be a problem or need to be replaced.

The chances that that particular seller is going to come into contact with a buyer who has the money, likes that seller's NSX, knows exactly what that suspension is, what it's worth, how it performs AND wants it on their car is incredibly small and even then you're going to get 25-50% of retail value--especially if the seller has no idea who did the install and when.

I think people are a little jaded about what mods are "desirable" since we need to accept that most NSXs in the world are stock and Prime members know a little bit more than the average bear. What we want isn't what most want even though it might "improve" the car in many ways. Which is all well and good until you start talking about how much money you can get for your car with these mods. The answer is you might get extremely lucky and get 50% of their value but that the most you can expect to get is zero and maybe less.

Last edited:
Guys, no one considers mods down to oil filters, c'mon. That is gettin totally anal. Mods are things that change a cars characteristics, be it suspension mods, but not shock absorbers- I mean if someon put on bilsteens instead of OEM honda, is that not considered stock, even if it isn't to a total NSX nerd, then it would certainly not detract from the value of the car. Suspension mods, lowering, wheel spacers, exhaust systems, engine mods as in turbo or super charges, othe internal stuff, not air filters bought somewhere else other than Acura - geez, no one but the very few care about stuff like that unless they're going to Pebble Beach Concours event or Amelia Island and they still have mod catagories even there.

So when it gets down to things like a different stereo, well now that's a change or how bout speakers; that's a change too but is it something someone but a total collector would change back too if other aftermarket better stuff was in there? I don't think so. Oh, how bout windsheild wipers, or like one said stainless steel brake lines - not stock - who cares is it better well stainless steel brake lines are! Overkill, maybe and maybe not. Preference but no biggy.

If I've got to spend a bunch of time taking stuff off that isn't needed or raising a lowered car back to spec then that's potetially not good and a mod not eveyone wants. But I understand that there are two perches that offer some adjustment aren't there? I heard that,don't know for sure.

Anyway point being that just because you stray away from a totally OEM parts bin when something goes out - doesn't mean one wouldn't still hae a un modified car.

That's my two cents,
Tim

Tim,

You raise a good and probably much asked question for many prospective AND current owners.

Probably like many I searched for a clean and standard car. However, of most importance to me was the history of the car and its condition. If it had mods then I was happy to accept if of good quality and properly added to the NSX.

From your opening post the NSX sounds to have sensible mods and I would agree with the post suggesting you drive a standard suspesion for comparison.

As for mods that add / dont add value. If you purchase and decide on further tweaks to personalize your new NSX, my only advise would be to go OEM style parts to retain the original look of the NSX.

Good luck,

Modifications are always a matter of taste. Stock NSXs are sought after by those who want to mod their own way or those to just keep it stock. As well, a stock NSX with service history is a complete story. Modifications are sometimes an unknown. Have they been performed correctly?
I personally looked for a NSX that was all original. I like the car stock. It is this way that HONDA intended it to be. A lot of effort went into the design of every part of this car. (even the exhast note!) I just respect that. I also doubt if I can out engineer HONDA.

It really comes down to taste. I do know modifications do not appreciate and make the car more valuable.

Hi Tim,

I'll add my 2 cents (ok, maybe 4 cents) to this for your consideration...

As noted and simply put, mods are really a matter of taste. You have to decide why you want an NSX, and what you want to do with it. Do you want to work on it yourself, or are you going to have a dealer work on it? Are you going to have/let other reputable shops with NSX experience touch it? Are you driving it every day? Is it going to be a garage queen? Are you going to cruise in it, or are you going to throw it at every curvy road you can find?

Are you going to sell it?

All of these questions (and the dozen others I won't take up bandwidth asking) mean you will want to buy or in the end create, a different NSX.

As for my experience. I bought an unmodified 2001 (oh wait, the original owner tinted and engraved the windows, is that a mod? :wink:) I have the DT-X exhaust and love it. I also have a clear bra, and still regret that I didn't do the whole hood.

90% of my modifications are suspension related and invisible to anyone but a Prime or NSXCA member. I didn't do the mods to eventually recoup the costs, I did them because I wanted to put my NSX on rails on the mountain and desert roads of SoCal. I don't want a daily driver, even though it still performs just fine (for me) in that roll when I need it too.

In short, think about why you want it, drive a stock one, drive this one and make the call. You'll know what's right for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I agree with the idea of getting one stock. It's just not that easy to find a 2001 silver perfectly clean and maintained to the inth unless I may be mistaken but out of the 164 cars on AOL and the Market here there are very few I'd consider. FIrst of all what I'm looking for is one that has been lovingly maintained. I really don't want mods but then if I happen to get them and the original stuff too, well how can I go wrong. I've already priced with a guy to return the suspension to original stock! It'll cost me around 550. Not too bad. I'm really looking for a good deal too and we'll see if it works out. It may sell before I can sell my Civic SI and my add has been viewed about 200 times and no one has written me. Don't know why so many would look and none are even interested enough to write. Weird. So the Market here may not be the right place for me.

Anyway, I want a to use the car for about 5k miles a year. Half the time I drive and I sure want to drive the twisty mountain roads - yessiree! I do not want a garrage queen, collector, perfect model for posterity cause for me that's no fun. I'm in for the fun of it and for me that's DRIVING! You bet. I wish I could drive a stock one. I wish I could drive one period. I hope to see several come May 7 at the Varsity here - that's a great little fast food place with SOUL and lots of Atlanta history - kinda like Coca Cola. So maybe get my first ride and sit in one. Can you believe I've never even sat in one. It's hard to just get in one cause they're not any for sale locally. Seems difficult but eventually it'll happen. But I'm a driver and want the best car in the world for all round and I believe it's the NSX. I"ve thought about it for a looong time now and I'm convinced you guys have the secret and so does Honda.

I'm so impressed with the whole thing from the creation of the car to all the great things said about them and all you guys just in love with em. How can the car possible be anything but great. I love my little SI but I want more speed and handling and I want rear wheel drive.

This is the car for me and I would love to buy one completely stock as I agree with one just above my post that said they didn't think they could improve on what Honda did. Probably true and that's what Eiffel says too. So with the one I'm looking at it has an ARK exhaust but he also has the stock one too and it comes wtih the deal just like the suspension stuff. So it'll be easy enough to get it back to complete stock if I want. I may do that. I believe in stock really but I understand mods too. It's all good and its what makes this whole thing a real journey.

You guys are a great bunch all of you and I really enjoy talking with everyone and I respect everyones opinion a great deal. I'm a newbie totally but I know a good thing when I see it and from reading too. There wouldn't be this kind of a website if this car was full of problems and was a turkey. It's a great site with lots of good guys on it ready to help a guy when he needs it and offer opinions in a great way. Very different from the small list I'm on with the Porsche group. It's totally different and this is already feeling like home. I really can't wait to get one and really join in.

So I bet I feel a lot like most here and I appreciate everyones comments whether they are big mod dudes or track junkies or just owners that enjoy congregating together to have fun in the cars. I think it's great!

Later guys

Modifications are always a matter of taste. Stock NSXs are sought after by those who want to mod their own way or those to just keep it stock. As well, a stock NSX with service history is a complete story. Modifications are sometimes an unknown. Have they been performed correctly?
I personally looked for a NSX that was all original. I like the car stock. It is this way that HONDA intended it to be. A lot of effort went into the design of every part of this car. (even the exhast note!) I just respect that. I also doubt if I can out engineer HONDA.

It really comes down to taste. I do know modifications do not appreciate and make the car more valuable.

Incorrect. I paid more for my car because it was supercharged. I think if you looked you would find that the supercharged cars go for more than their non supercharged equivalents with similar mileage. If that isn't making the car more valuable I don't know what is.

P.S. Honda also had a budget when making the car and compromises are made. If it couldn't be improved upon you would see them racing completely stock NSX's in JGTC. Your thinking is flawed. To me a stock car is often a boring car. There are very few that I wouldn't do something with to make it better.

Last edited:
I'd say the items listed in your opening post barely qualify as mods (exhaust,suspension, clear bra) and wouldn't think twice about them adding or detracting from the value. I consider my own NSX only slightly modded and the list of mods is fairly extensive: Type S suspension, Comptech headers, Anytime Racing exhaust, CF airbox, CF/Lexan engine cover, larger Racing Brake rotors, 02+ calipers, 02+ wheels. And these were all in place when I bought the car from the previous owner. OK, I guess it's more than slightly modded, but had I dismissed the thought of buying this car based on the list of mods and the fact that it wasn't stock, I would have missed out on an awesome vehicle.

Is the car worth less because it's not stock? To me, it's not. Keep in mind this is an NSX we're talking about, not a mid 60's Vette that you'd buy as an investment/collector's car and having greater value being all original. If the vehicle you're looking at had mods like Lambo doors or some big a$$ wing on the back, obviously the advice would be to run. The NSX you're considering sounds like it was well maintained and the mods are minor.

Back