Q: anyone replace a lug nut bolt?

memorial day 2009

howdy folks,

i used my super-human strength to break off a lug nut bolt while tightening a lug nut. yes, i learned my lesson and will use a torque wrench next time .... but has anyone replaced 1 bolt without having to replace the entire bolt hub with all 5 on it? just curious. i looked at the repair manual (18-17 in suspension) but can't tell from that.

thanx,

yes you can replace just one stud.
my mechanic replaced all mine with ARP extended studs.
just to let you know the front is easier to do than the rear.

i forgot how he did it.
with a hammer or a press.

Last edited:
Front or rear?

It's easy. In fact I just replaced a rear while at the track last weekend in about 5 minutes.

Front... take the hub off.

Rear.... don't take the hub off. :wink:

The rear, you have two choices grind down part of the stud in order to slip it in past the hub or grind down just a little bit of the hub to slip the stud in. I chose the latter, it's not a big deal. So now if/when I break a stud it takes 5 minutes to do.

Once you get the stud in you slip on a bunch of washers and then put either a nut on top or an extra lug nut (it will ruin the lug nut so make sure it's an extra). Torque it down to 80 lb/ft to pull the stud into the hub and seat it. Then take the nut and the washers off.... put the wheel back on.

thanx 4 the speedy responses. it is on the front...

I have called local garage (sourcensx) to fix and recharge my a/c while in the shop later this week, just curious to know if 1 could be done without having to replace the entire hub.

good to know i don't need the entire hub. sure wish i had more mechanical brains ... i look at the manual and get nervous about taking the brake and more off to get to it, so i need to seek help from others.

thanx again!

I replaced one of the rear studs on mine a month or so ago, had to grind down part of the stud to get it to go thru straight. It's a very tight fit.

I replaced one of the rear studs on mine a month or so ago, had to grind down part of the stud to get it to go thru straight. It's a very tight fit.

How much do I need to grind off part of one flat side?
Thanks in advance.

Back