Pwned by carfax

queenlives said:
regardless of the money they choose to implement, i think you've hit the nail on the head: it's a business model issue and apparently this model creates the optimum rev stream at this point in time.

when another model creates more rev and less pain for them (they're probably uninterested in your pain unless it negatively impacts their rev stream), they'll offer / transition to that model.

fwiw, my experience in defining these models for various companies is that this is an ongoing discussion for most companies; no reason in my mind to think carfax is any different.

Yeah I agree..I was just pointing it out, although I believe they could make more money with a different offerring. Just like how airline pricing is differentiated effectively to get people at multiple points on the demand curve and actually make more money than one price. Anyway it's for them to figure out, I just think they need to do more research, which I'm sure they are working on, if they're looking for misuse on the internet.

edit: hmm maybe I'll go write the business case for them...haha.

satan_srv said:
Yeah I agree..I was just pointing it out, although I believe they could make more money with a different offerring. <snip> edit: hmm maybe I'll go write the business case for them...haha.
something that might be of great help to them would be to perform an online survey of their <12 month customers. as noted, they are probably very good at measuring usage metrics, etc, but if they're not directly soliciting feedback from their customers ("demo", current, previous), they're likely not optimizing their opptys. i'll begin another thread on carfax survey to see if anyone here has ever been actively surveyed by carfax.

happy new year.
hal

TyraNSX said:
That's why god made email and phones & stamps & stuff.

God may have invented those, but Al Gore invented the Internet... :tongue:

TyraNSX said:
Why not have it like phone service? Some low fee just to have the sevice for a month (say $8) and then like $2-3/car. Then you pay for what you use. Run 2 cars, $4-$6, run 20 cars $40-$60. Seems fair to me. Although we all know that a clean carfax does not necessarily mean a good car, but a bad carfax means keep on looking. Carfax should clearly state the reports are for the buyer only and subject to extra fees or cancellation as a penalty. However a buyer doing a favor should be smarter than to post publicly about it. That's why god made email and phones & stamps & stuff.

That should be "God", not "god". Remember, there are no atheists in Hell!:wink:

NsXMas said:
There needs to be more competition for carfax.

There are other "better" data bases out there that show 10 times what CarFax does. It's just not available to the public.:wink:

scorp965 said:
I just bought a 30-day subscription yesterday, ran one for the NSX I am getting a PPI done on, then posted 2 for members here on NSX prime - 30 minutes later I get an email stating my carfax account has been removed for violations of their EULA, and my account was been cancelled. In order to avoid having to pay 19.99 per these other 2 carfax reports they demanded I edit my posts to remove the carfax data...

Seems like they may have gotten serious about enforcement ;-(

Carfax strikes again.

I just found this post, unfortunately a day to late for a good samaritan.. I think the way carfax does this is by searching auto forums for "carfax" and/or VINs and then tying that VIN back to the generous person who runs it. SO, my advice to anyone looking to share carfaxs is not to post the VIN or the carfax.

Requestor: "I need an NSX karf@x, please PM me for details."

If someone privately had their car fixed it will not appear on carfax...not sure if thats anyones case, but if you say they didnt list anything wrong with a car, perhaps it was taken care of privately and out of the system.

NsXMas said:
There needs to be more competition for carfax.

There is. Try Autocheck.com. It's an Experian company (one of the three credit repository companies) and their reports are essentially the same as Carfax.

12AMNSX said:
their reports are essentially the same as Carfax.
So they are both inaccurate?:smile:

Back