• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective Purchase : Comments/Input much appreciated

Hello all NSXprimers,

This post turned out longer than I anticipated so bear with me. Cliffs at the bottom if you don't want to read my thorough, in depth post :)

Just registered but have been a lurker here on the forums for a few years now. An NSX has been my dream car and I have come to the point where I am in a position (financially and personal maturity) to where that time has come to hopefully fulfill that dream, blah blah blah.....

Ok so I recently came across a 1991 Red/Ivory AUTOMATIC (more on that in a second) with 18k miles. Looks like it just came off of the showroom floor from 1991. Without knowing better, if someone said it was brand new... I would almost believe it. It's that CLEAN. Never did I think, when the day came to buy an NSX, that it would be an automatic. My intentions were to hopefully find a clean '95+T (I'm 6'3" but realized headroom isn't an issue for me in a coupe anyway) or even a slightly higher mileage '97+T 3.2 manual. I've driven a '96-T Brooklands Green/Tan and a '99-T Red/Black, both manual transmission. Had an opportunity to purchase the Brooklands but couldn't get over the color (sorry Brooklands owners, all 260 of you) and wasn't financially stable when the '99 came around (besides, it was about to break 100k miles)

When I first saw this car (the '91) I didn't know anything about it. I walked around, jaw to the floor over it's beauty and then my heart sunk just a little when I saw that it was an automatic. But I quickly got over it and turned to a smile. Maybe it was the HRE's that did it... maybe it was because the car was so damn clean! Either way, I fell in love. After driving it, I was a tad bit disappointed by the performance, even though it has exhaust and a cold air intake system on it, but that was the least of my worries. If I wanted fast I would just buy a Z06 instead.

Well to make a long story short, I wanted to ask your guys' professional and honest opinions about a car like this. As far as I understand the Snap Ring issue didn't affect the automatic transmissions so nothing to worry about there (correct me if I am wrong on this). Asking price is $35k although I know there are cheaper ones out there. I know this all has to do with the individual buyer, but do you think this is a good buy for a car like this (mileage, condition, etc.)? Even though there weren't many autos made, will this ultimately hurt the resale value (god forbid I need to sell it)? I know KBB puts the car at just under $30k retail but with NSX's I know book value doesn't necessarily mean much. There are 31 '91 NSX's on AutoTrader with an average price of $32k, most with about 50k miles or more. Any input/comments are welcome and much appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Cliffs: First time NSX buyer, found an extremely clean, low mileage (18k), '91 Red/Ivory Automatic NSX for $35k. Good deal? Comments/input welcome and much appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice mileage, but a bit spendy for an auto... has the timing belt/water pump service been performed? This has a time interval, as well as a mileage interval, so it should have been done.

If so, and you're not opposed to an automatic, perhaps you could reach a price you're comfortable with... 18k miles with a manual transmission would easily be worth that amount, with proper service history, but you as a buyer have to decide how much of a deal breaker the transmission is. As far as hurting resale value... it obviously has an impact, I would not consider a manual transmission sportscar, but other people may... anything that narrows down your prospective field of buyers affects your resale value.

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to find out more history/maintenance about it tomorrow. I ran a CARFAX and according to the report it was last serviced in Dec '01 @ 14k miles. Prior to that it was Sept '99 @ 11k miles. Assuming these are semi-major/important services and not just basic tune-up/oil changes. But I won't know for sure until tomorrow about the services and what was done.

The automatic was a deal breaker but just for a minute. I was able to kick the fact it was an auto. Afterall, like I said if I wanted fast I would just get a Z06. It's not going to be a track car or be raced and even though the manual is fun at times, it's not that big of a deal to pass up on an exceptional car if the price is right. Keep the inputs coming!

Last edited:
Another thought........, and I'll be the first to acknowledge that I do not know if there is any basis in fact for this, but I know on the current years, the horsepower on the autos is less than the mauals. This suggests to me that the tranny may not be up to high HP. If you are ever tickled by the modification bug, you may have to temper your desires for higher HP because of the transmission. You may be perfectly happy with the car the way it is, and if so, great. I do not think that there are not those among us that do not wish for an auto trans if in traffic. But my car is not a daily driver and the option of higher horsepower is intriguing. Haven't scratched the itch yet, but nice to have the option.

I am sure others will chime in.

Nice post. I liked the "coles notes" version at the bottom.

I am in the market for my first NSX also. Same situation as you. I also came across the "transmission" issue. The deciding factor for me was deciding "How am I going to use this car?"

For me, I am only going to use the car as a very fun weekend car ( I live and work downtown in a city with a great public transport system).

So traffic won't be much of an issue. For pure "fun factor" I want a manual transmission. So that's what I'll get.

If I lived in the suburbs and I was going to use the car as a daily driver, and found one in the condition you listed above, I would consider an automatic. But, for me, if I wasn't really that thrilled with the performance when I tried the car, it would only start to bother me more the longer I owned the car and that would tempt me to modify. I would probably be limited on the modifications I could make to the car.

If you get the car I would love to see the pictures. Good luck with your search.

Couple of things. The carfax is useful but cannot be relied upon to show service history. Very few states require the VIN be recorded for routine service.

I think 35K is too high for a 91 automatic, even in mint with wheels and exhaust. Could be because I just wouldn't pay that much for an auto. I admit I haven't driven one but to me the NSX becomes a bit of a "show car" instead of a "go car" in an automatic. It is slower, not just because of the gearing, the engine has 250 (I think) hp. The FAQ probably has the exact figures.

That said - if the performance is satisfactory, and you're comfortable with the maintenance history, go for it. The timing belt service is somewhere in the $1500 range.

For me, performance as it relates to the transmission type is secondary. I simply would get bored driving an automatic. I enjoy driving a standard and wouldn't have it any other way (except maybe a good SMG type setup).

If you don't feel the same way, then sure, go for it, sounds like a good deal for a low mileage NSX, but I do indeed think that an automatic transmission would hurt resale value. I imagine that when new, there were NSX buyers who weren't bothered by it, but I think in the used market, 95% of people consider an NSX are going to be sports car enthusiasts and want an NSX for the joy of driving it, and part of that joy for most enthusiasts is rowing through the gears.

Auto trans is 254 HP vs 270HP on the manual I believe. I think even the latest NSX autos still had the 254 HP engine. If you feel this purchase is a long term one then the auto makes no diff......selling the auto equipped car attracts a much smaller audience.....the trans is pretty sloppy in the shifting dept and got very old for me, very quickly...I had a '97 Spa Yellow T auto for a year....never again! BTW I've owned 5 NSX's from new....'94 5 speed, '97 Auto, '99 Zanardi #17 (6 speed of course), '01 6 speed, '05 6 speed.

Last edited:
Hothonda said:
Auto trans is 254 HP vs 270HP on the manual I believe. I think even the latest NSX autos still had the 254 HP engine. If you feel this purchase is a long term one then the auto makes no diff......selling the auto equipped car attracts a much smaller audience.....the trans is pretty sloppy in the shifting dept and got very old for me, very quickly...I had a '97 Spa Yellow T auto for a year....never again!

I agree I had a 94 auto (1st nsx) sold it and I would never ever get this car again in an auto. I've had 2 since the 94.

95 5spd
00 6spd present
love both of them

Just my 02 cents only

There are a few benifits of an automatic. I have a bmw z3 with tiptronic shifting and a Porsche boxter with paddle shifting. Both I would consider as automatics with the option of manual shifting minus the cluch. This gives me options while driving that I really like. Answer phone/grabing a bite. I say if the nsx is your dream car and you feel a connection with the one you've found than get it. The horspower can be overcome with headers/exhaust/supercharger. And just to let you know I have an automatic nsx that I plan on putting a supercharger on and I've checked with comptech (I live less than 10 miles from comptech) and they will put on a supercharger and upgrade the transmission to accomidate the added horspower. The only thing I don't like about the automatics is that the shifting programed never gets to redline so you have premature shifting at full throttle. To by pass this I just throw it into first and manually shift through the gears at readline. I've driven like this for a year now with no problems so far. Just make sure you use an excellent trany oil like redline oil.
Talk the seller into a lower price, then drive it off the lot and know you have your dream car. And if your really into a manual than wait another 5 years and I promise you, you'll find another great deal on a manual. You'll have the best of both world. Good luck.

what would cause me dismay, if I were in your position, is the support of nsx owners who *used* to have an automatic nsx, and thought it was great, but now have a manual nsx, or tell you 'at least you can buy a manual nsx later' - personally, if I were buying my 'dream car', I would try to do it right the first time. If the automatic gives you pause move on to another car, if it doesn't you can try to use it to negotiate for a greater value. Aside from transmission, how is the car? You mention it has some aftermarket parts, are they to your liking, or are they in bad taste? Does the dealer have paper records, or a maintenance book, that reflects the mechanical state of the car (something a bit more-concrete than carfax)?

If you want an automatic get an automatic. Otherwise it will eat at you day in day out. I for one could not own my car as an automatic and the manual transmissions is a beautiful one, one that is just great to go through the gears. Hell just writing this makes me want to go home and take my car for a spin to rip through the gears. Think long and hard about this before you settle on a car such as the NSX in automatic trim.

It might be different if the NSX had a modern, state of the art, 5, 6, or more speed sequential shifting auto.

I'd probably still choose the 6 speed manual though!

Oh - I don't like the idea of adding a bunch of stuff including a supercharger to overcome the deficiencies of the auto. Instead of spending $10-$15K, buy the right car first time.

35K, must be very clean. This car should have only manual transmission.

Imagine: Steve McQueen in Bulllit - racing thru San Francisco with an automatic. It is not right.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that you will regret buying an automatic. Whenever I drive an automatic car, I'm so bored. I feel like my left foot and right arm should be doing something. I even feel that cars with sequential manual transmissions (cars that have a clutch, but no clutch pedal--not like Porsche's Tiptronic) are boring. We have a Toyota MR2 Spyder with a sequential manual transmission and it's pretty neat, but nowhere near as fun to drive as a traditional manual transmission with the clutch pedal.

I couldn't agree more! The most common thing said to someone looking....BE PATIENT and get what you want (which is sooo freakin hard since there are so few of them avail at any given time). You weren't looking for an automatic and you were disaapointed when you first saw it was an auto.....that "getting over it" feeling is the EUPHORIA of being around these cars. I'm on my second NSX, I wanted silver but I settled on the first low mileage pristine car regardless of color and regretted it. It convinced me that I was in love with the car, just not the first one I bought :wink: You will not regret owning a NSX but the experience won't be the same if you settle. Owning a car like this is a fantastic experience, maximize it.

Psychobiology said:
I'm pretty sure that you will regret buying an automatic. Whenever I drive an automatic car, I'm so bored. I feel like my left foot and right arm should be doing something. I even feel that cars with sequential manual transmissions (cars that have a clutch, but no clutch pedal--not like Porsche's Tiptronic) are boring. We have a Toyota MR2 Spyder with a sequential manual transmission and it's pretty neat, but nowhere near as fun to drive as a traditional manual transmission with the clutch pedal.

Get the car YOU want.

If you wanted an automatic and not a manual, I would tell you to get it. But since you would really prefer a manual, that's what you should get. Keep looking and as long as your search criteria are sufficiently broad (in terms of color, tranny, year, price, mileage, etc), you'll find what you want.

NOTE - I typed the above before I saw Danny's post...

Back