Prospective owner

jlr

Hello everyone:

I'm a Porschephile and former owner of several Japanese sports cars as well, including Miata, 93 RX-7, and S2000. Right now I have two Porsche RS America's. One is RUF tuned, which I may sell later. However, I've always had a fascination with the NSX as an everyday exotic car with a high level of engineering and reliability.

My question is addressed to those NSX owners who have owned/driven older and newer Porsche 911s -- which is my personal standard for both driver involvement and everyday use. How does the NSX (let's say a 91-94 w/ manual steering) compare with the steering feedback, road feel, handling dynamics, and braking of several variants of 911 (say 964 through 996)? I do the occasional track day, but I am more interested in driver involvement at more sane speeds -- i.e., the drive to work.

Any insight would be appreciated. This seems to be a great board.

Thanks

Hello everyone:

I'm a Porschephile and former owner of several Japanese sports cars as well, including Miata, 93 RX-7, and S2000. Right now I have two Porsche RS America's. One is RUF tuned, which I may sell later. However, I've always had a fascination with the NSX as an everyday exotic car with a high level of engineering and reliability.

My question is addressed to those NSX owners who have owned/driven older and newer Porsche 911s -- which is my personal standard for both driver involvement and everyday use. How does the NSX (let's say a 91-94 w/ manual steering) compare with the steering feedback, road feel, handling dynamics, and braking of several variants of 911 (say 964 through 996)? I do the occasional track day, but I am more interested in driver involvement at more sane speeds -- i.e., the drive to work.

Thanks
Welcome! I read your post quickly and thought you said "pedophile" and had to do a double take LOL

welcome. Are you coming over from Rennlist due to the recent thread on the NSX in the 996 forum?

Hello everyone:

Thanks

I love the RSAs. One of my favorite 911s.

I started a search for a Pcar about 18 months ago. I drove almost every car I could get my hands on. 991, 964, 965, 993, 996, 997. My conclusion? The only car I would own would be a 993. Mainly because of its driving pleasure (connection with the road) and its drop dead good looks. A 996 GT3 would suffice as well as I don't have to look at the car from the drivers seat.

I loved the "feel" of the road of my 91 NSX. I think it was only the 91/92 that had the manual steering. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The 993 is the only other car I have driven that comes close to the NSX. Of course this IS the NSX forum!

I still love the 993 and will buy one if I find the right one. Having already owned an NSX I would like to try something new. Strangely enough, though, something keeps pulling me back to the NSX..........

I read your post quickly and thought you said "pedophile" and had to do a double take LOL

That's funny. Not sure that the P-car community would like that immediate association!:biggrin:

I do post on Rennlist every so often, but any recent posts re NSX comparisons aren't mine. I've thought of a 993 as well -- air-cooled and intimate, but a bit softer and roomier than the RSA.

Thanks

The nsx is more difficult to park than a 911. It feels closer to an old school 3.0 or Carrera 3.2 without the power steering. The 993 feels lose compared to an NSX and is slower in acceleration and top speed. The Nsx is the only exotic you can drive daily, it is gentle like a Prelude and has power on the top end to pass traffic, though it has long gears(91-94). There is significanly less bumpsteer in the NSX and quiet car to drive. Parts are not cheap nore is the labor but there is integrety in all regard. The trunk does not have alot of space. If you don't mind all the attention its a wonderful car. Braking is also similar very hard and stops on a dime. Factory 15-16 inch wheels are quiet when new but eats tires every 10k and gets noisy then after. Tires are pretty cheap if you skip OEM. Stock it is a very capible car im sure you wont have regrets.

Best luck

That sounds good. My RSAs do not have p/s and that is what I prefer. Among the years (91-94, I believe) without power steering, what is the best year? Also, what kind of n/a power upgrades are available? I'm not interested in forced induction.

Thanks. That's good information. It would seem that a 94 -- the latest manual steering model year -- would be my best bet.

Welcome to Prime!

I'm a Porsche fan as well and even though I haven't owned one I've test driven the 993 and 996 variants and much prefered the 993. My mate Graham owns a 993 Carerra S widebody in red and everytime I see her I also think it would be a nice addition to my collection.

If I do get a second car it might just be a 993 instead of another NSX. Variety is the spice of life!

Driving the NSX is a bit more precise & nimble due to the better handling and lowered driving perspective (track suspension). While the 996TT is a pig on the track, I prefer the way the turbos pull the car so hard on a heavier car while the AWD keeps the car on the road (keep in mind it's been tuned to 600hp) . Lastly, the supercharged AMG is a blast to launch, but suffers from heat soak (need to upgrade my IC pumps).

Anyone driving a PCar can tell that these cars are race bred, and Porsche R&D has surpassed the older NSX years ago.

Overall street/track car---> Porsche GT3 or GT3RS

(or) NSX---> modified suspension + turbo set-up

What I am after in terms of priorities are 1) driving experience on the street 2) reliability/engineering 3) exotic/historical appeal. Big horsepower is not important to me.

I love Porsches, and would consider a Cayman as a mid-engined alternative to the 911; however, as good as the car is, it is a deliberately half effort and I won't do that on principle. The NSX was a much more complete effort (and brought status to Honda rather than criticism) than the 986/7s. On the other hand, a 996 GT3 would be an option.

The 996 GT3 and NSX are not really comparable. The GT3 is a mean, harsh, street racer. Loud, rough, primal. I happen to love it.

In comparison, the NSX is WAY softer, MUCH more luxurious, MUCH easier to drive at 9/10th, and possible to have a soft toned conversation in.

Different cars. Both great.

Hi, jlr

Perhaps my comments will be helpful to you, and then again they may not. But here goes!

I own a 1985 911 Carrera Coupe (with tail), and I also own a 2001 NSX-T. I love both of them. I feel the 911 is the best of the old style sports cars... low tech, a little noisy, and short on creature comforts. Otherwise, it's a great car.
On the other hand, the NSX is the best of the new style sports cars... high tech, reliable, and very comfortable. The NSX is a great car, too.

I won't part with either car because I like the different feeling I get in each one. Reliability with each marque is a given, so for me it boils down to the pleasure of driving a mid-engine car vs a rear-engine car.

If I were you I would keep a Porsche and an NSX in my garage!

Philippe

That sounds good. My RSAs do not have p/s and that is what I prefer. Among the years (91-94, I believe) without power steering, what is the best year? Also, what kind of n/a power upgrades are available? I'm not interested in forced induction.

Depends, 91-92 does not have passanger airbag so its lighter than 93-94. The 93-94 cars have a cup holder which is nice but in an annoying location IMO. The suspension setup in 91-92 cars are more aggressive than 93-94 cars but the tires last longer on the later cars. Also window regulators were updated in the 93-94 cars.

All good cars, make sure the timing belt a/c has been serviced and if possible all records.

Good luck.

This has been brought up several times, but I will point out again that the models with power steering are an electric assist only to 20 some odd MPH where they go into full manual mode after. I have driven 2 manual steering models, and I cannot see them having any more feel than the model with power steering, they are only harder to turn at low speeds.

The minor differences that people thought they were "feeling" (and I too at first), turned out to be tire pressure and tire type differences. I am pretty convinced at this point that there should be no difference in the two systems if all else is equal. If you don't think tire pressure can make a difference, put an extra 10 pounds into the front tires and you will see the feel/response change immediately. Nevermind the type of tire or suspension and alignment settings. Often these are attributed to the car being power or manual, and it has nothing to do with that.

I also wouldn't worry a lot about the minute weight differences, I don't know how much an airbag adds but you can change the exhaust and lose 50 pounds of weight. You can take out the spare and tools and lose around 30 (give or take these are round figures I am sure someone has the exacts). An airbag is the last thing I would want to lose to save a few pounds.

I'll tell you what I do definitely feel a difference with, that is the 5 speed versus the 6 speed for which you'd have to step into a '97 or newer for.

Either way, any NSX in good shape is a great car. Good luck with your search.

Though I generally do not like forced induction (and this from RUF owner!), but, if you don't mind, could you describe your experience with the s/c? Any issues with it, or characteristics you don't like -- i.e., delivery, sound, etc.?

I have driven 2 manual steering models, and I cannot see them having any more feel than the model with power steering, they are only harder to turn at low speeds.

The minor differences that people thought they were "feeling" (and I too at first), turned out to be tire pressure and tire type differences.

I would disgree. From a standstill backing out and turning the steering in the parking lot, the feel with the PAS its much more loose with OEM tirepressure and requires less forearm work. Once the manual steering cars are rolling it is easy to turn.

jLr the difference in SC Nsx in the quarter mile is about 1.5 seconds 12.5 which is significant and 2 seconds with turbo 11.5 seconds with stock motor. You can put nitrious in NSX and do mi 12s in quarter mile. If you want to drive it on the track then maybe an sc or turbo would be better.

One main issue to consider is whether you want a removeable top or not. It was 45F here yesterday so I pulled the NSX down and stretched her legs. Drove with the top on and for me - it just ruins the experience. Frankly - I search for another car if the NSX did not go topless. This is a very personal opinion as many on this forum prefer the coupe - stating the rigidity of the car compared to NSX-T.

If you do not get excited about a removeable top - stick with the 91 -94. 94 has power assist steering (which I like too).

Good luck in your decision. I've been in P-Cars with tons of power and for my tastes - the NSX with a balanced design and refinements is the better choice. Opinions vary....

Though I generally do not like forced induction (and this from RUF owner!), but, if you don't mind, could you describe your experience with the s/c? Any issues with it, or characteristics you don't like -- i.e., delivery, sound, etc.?

i have a 91 auto and a 92 CTSC

i am glad i lift weights....Geewise when parking the 92, i can tell the diff asap...

91 auto has headers, prospeed, modified intake, weight reduction, exhaust etc...... run mid to high 13 on a great day....

92 5 sp SC...wow.....comptech exhaust....sounds very agggggressive, throaty a growl...I have to ride in 2nd gear to get out of hood, so my wife dont complain...lol..... but its not annoying sound , its more of a sound you hear from a cobra mustang, but not as deep.....

Again I am coming from a 91 automatic...But compared to the auto it screams......night and day diff...

I have m6, rx7.....645....the automatic feels like it could keep up with them in traffic, but the SC feels like it could leave the other cars, even the M6 IMO......

i have nitrous for the NSX but have not installed it...

"94 has power assist steering (which I like too)"

Oh my gosh! I was ripped off!

Manual steering is always a plus to me. Feel, plus one less thing to go wrong.
I believe PS was standard on all models after 94, and maybe
just automatics 91-94.

Someone can give me a cross check on that.

Last edited:
I currently own a pristine stock 04 NSX with 36000 miles. I previously owned a 96 993 and a 2002 911.The NSX once you get in it is more comfortable and provides I feel a better overall driving experience. The feel is much different than a P-car. The longer wheelbase makes for a better touring car as well. Before the 993 came out I drove a Lotus Espirit 1991.I personally never really liked the feel of the Porsche C2 pre-1995.

"94 has power assist steering (which I like too)"

Oh my gosh! I was ripped off!

Manual steering is always a plus to me. Feel, plus one less thing to go wrong.
I believe PS was standard on all models after 94, and maybe
just automatics 91-94.

Someone can give me a cross check on that.

My bad! Always thought the PAS began in 94. And it's true, the PAS is just one more thing to go wrong but I'd take it over power windows or power seats:smile:

Back