Prospective NSX owner

Hey all. I'm in the market for a new car, my choices are limited because I want something RWD, but I want to stay in the Honda game. The 2 choices seem pretty obvious right? Grew up around Honda's. The NSX hit sales floors the same year I was born. & when I was 7, the 3.2, 6 speed & Targa model had me in love, now that I was old enough to appreciate it. I've driven a V6 Accord for 6 years just had my first & only problem @ 123k, passenger power window regulator. I understand NSX's carry Honda's reliability even though it doesn't carry a Honda price tag. My choices are keep the Accord & get an S2000. Or sell the Accord, throw down the extra money on the NSX, and take advantage of one less insurance payment that could go towards my finance payment. Looking at S2000's & NSX's, I obviously don't care for, ( & honestly don't want) frills or extra technology in my car. Comfort, gas mileage, practicality means little to me. I just want a reliable, fun car to drive. Something noisy, & bumpy. Raw & unrefined.

I'm set on a '91-'94 model, has to be red or white. Under 100k miles with good maintenance records. Budget is $30k. I want to finance & I'll have about $8k or so for a down payment. Hoping for $400-$450/month payments, in order to stay on budget. Not looking to spend the money immediately. I want to finish up this school semester first, so in the late summer I'm pulling the trigger. I'm finishing up next year & my birthday is coming up so I want to treat myself to something nice.

My question is.... How in the world did you guys get your banks to loan you $30k+ for a 20 year old car? Especially for a longer loan like 60, or maybe 72 months.

I'm turning 22. Limited credit history, (one credit card, but since the week I turned 18). Never late or anything also. I don't want to pay some BS 9-10% A.P.R though. I payed 14.3% on the Accord & it was horrid to pay $4k+ in interest when the sticker price was only $12k when i got it :frown:

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
I'm not going to tell you what you should get but I would suggest that if you go the NSX route that you hang on to the accord too for redundancy and practicality purposes.

As far as financing goes, just search for PenFed here, if the car has under 100k then you can go 60 months... If not, then you're limited to 36months currently

You need to wait, don't burden yourself with a loan at this stage of your life, get yourself better established. The NSX is NOT bumpy, raw and unrefined. It's smooth, refined and "finished". If you want bumpy raw and unrefined, buy a Viper!!!

I would agree with ITRSteve. Save up, if you have to get rid of the accord and get a loan your not ready. You have to understand you'll be buying a 20 yr old car. Give it time, and you'll get one.

The car insurance rate category is a factor in your age bracket... run some quotes past a few insurers with full coverage

Keep a daily driver, save up money, have NSX as second car, maybe pay less insurance in a few years

OP, going by the info you shared I don't think its in your best interested not to get an NSX at this point. Lets say you do happen to get financing, besides the ~$450-500 monthly payment, your insurance is probably going to be sky high, maybe around $1200 or more for 6 mo. Most likely you need to dump $2-5k into it immediately or very soon for deferred maintenance. Basic maintenance is cheap but you will be going through ALOT of tires if you daily drive it. The rears last ~8k miles and fronts maybe 20k and good tires aren't cheap.

I'd recommend keeping your Accord and getting a nice S2000 as a weekend car. Prices of S2000's have somewhat bottomed out so you probably won't lose that much if you sell it in a few years. Plus, the S2000 is a FANTASTIC car.

Though the maintenance cost of an NSX is low compared to the rest of it's class, it is higher than an Accord. And a 22 year old car will have things that are close to their affective age. You will wish you kept the Accord on those days. I waited 19 years to buy my first NSX. Hopefully there is no reason you have to wait that long. But, if you buy one and it becomes a financial burden in the first few months of ownership, you won't get to appreciate what we all do about the car.

Get an early s2k with around 50-75k miles it's a car you have to experience, trust me you will love it. This would be much cheaper than an nsx, then later sell it and get an nsx. Dependng on what year accord you have, if you sell it you will have enough to buy an s2k cash and have no payments. Buy, enjoy, and you can always sell later to get an nsx:)

Last edited:
I'm going to recommend you go with the S2000 route. The S2000 is definitely a car you have to experience for yourself. I've been through two S2000's before finally picking up my NSX and I still often feel withdrawals from the S2000 experience.

Car loans are never fun. If you can buy a car without a loan, that is the route you should go.

i'm going to recommend you go with the s2000 route. The s2000 is definitely a car you have to experience for yourself. I've been through two s2000's before finally picking up my nsx and i still often feel withdrawals from the s2000 experience.

Car loans are never fun. If you can buy a car without a loan, that is the route you should go.

as everyone mention... Get an s2000 and daily it first and see how you like it, you gotta experience the s2000 and once you're ready for the next step, jump into a nsx when your financially stable....being a student and having a loan on a nsx is really hard... Ask me about it, i've been there done that... I pulled a trigger on my 92 nsx when i was 21, going to school and was working more then i could enjoy the car just so i could beable to afford my payments and insurance...then you have maintence which is a pretty penny since it is a 20 year old car....if i could go back in time, i would wait until i could cash out a nsx.

Very good advice from everyone here, financially speaker. As a present S2000 owner, I can tell you that you will not have anything to be ashamed about if you choose to start out with an S2000. Fantastic car and so much fun to drive. The only car I will even remotely consider selling my car for is an NSX, so that should tell you something. Best wishes and good luck with your search.

at your age your insurance would be triple for the NSX depending on driving record.

if you have to get a RWD get the S2000 you can find them pretty cheap now adays.

test your self on RWD then buy an NSX buying your first RWD as an NSX would be possibly fatal.

The rears last ~8k miles and fronts maybe 20k and good tires aren't cheap.
Wow, you've been lucky. My rears lasted 3-4K miles and fronts 10-15K.

Though the maintenance cost of an NSX is low compared to the rest of it's class, it is higher than an Accord.
Accord timing belt replacement $600-900
NSX timing belt replacement $1600-1900
Accord clutch replacement $600-900 (typical lifespan 70-100K miles)
NSX clutch replacement $2300-2800 (typical lifespan 35-60K miles)

I appreciate all of the honesty fellas. I heard that NSXPrime is probably one one the most level-headed, mature forums when it comes to the car game. Seems so. I like the S2000 I really do. Living in Orlando though, there are 4 around every corner & I've seen people do pretty much everything to them. I love the WTF factor when people see a car, which is why I wanted an '03 CL Type S 6 Speed for my first car in '08. My brother also has a '04 Infiniti M45 and its really funny seeing people go nuts trying to read the badges on the car. To the guy who was concerned about me driving RWD, I've driven dozens of cars cars from Audi to Volvo. Thanks for your concern, though.

Probably going to just keep saving cash. I love being behind the wheel of an S2000, but that is where it stops. I'd honestly rather keep my Accord until I have at least $20k that I'm willing to part with.

Thanks again guys. I'll be back in around 2 years or so :).

I heard that NSXPrime is probably one one the most level-headed, mature forums when it comes to the car game.
Don't believe everything you hear. :biggrin:

Living in Orlando though, there are 4 around every corner
One advantage to having others around town is that there's enough business to support an outstanding mechanic with tons of experience working on NSXs:

Nabil
First Class Automotive
3608 E Colonial Dr
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 228-2849

I appreciate all of the honesty fellas. I heard that NSXPrime is probably one one the most level-headed, mature forums when it comes to the car game. Seems so. I like the S2000 I really do. Living in Orlando though, there are 4 around every corner & I've seen people do pretty much everything to them. I love the WTF factor when people see a car, which is why I wanted an '03 CL Type S 6 Speed for my first car in '08. My brother also has a '04 Infiniti M45 and its really funny seeing people go nuts trying to read the badges on the car. To the guy who was concerned about me driving RWD, I've driven dozens of cars cars from Audi to Volvo. Thanks for your concern, though.

Probably going to just keep saving cash. I love being behind the wheel of an S2000, but that is where it stops. I'd honestly rather keep my Accord until I have at least $20k that I'm willing to part with.

Thanks again guys. I'll be back in around 2 years or so :).

It will be worth the wait my friend!!

I think the S2000 is a smart move. I was in your shoes a few years ago and decided not to purchase because it didnt' really fit in with life, as you would say. Now, after a few years of saving up, I have enough cash to buy a NA1 coupe that I want, but sometimes, other things take priority. I know, for sure, that I will purchase one in the coming years, but there is no need to rush into something, like purchasing an NSX, something that you really want to enjoy. If you are bogged down by a large-ish monthly payment with insurance, you will not enjoy it. You don't want to have to worry about spending 2-3k on a new clutch or scrounging pennies because it's your only car.

the NSX will always be waiting...

at least this is what I keep telling myself. stark contrast from the 'you only live once' mentality.

Back