• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Production date for NSX

"Serial production" may refer to the group/batch production schedule for the first car allocations. The first car allocations are being handled in batches/groups, based on the volume of the individual dealers. The first group of dealers have already placed their first allocation orders. That batch of orders will be produced first. The second, third, fourth and fifth groups will place their initial allocation orders during the next couple of months, and the production of all cars in each group/batch will be completed before Acura moves onto the next group/batch.

We use the term serial in the pharma industry to refer to individually identifiable activities (ex. A serial submission to FDA), which aligns well with custom ordered vehicles.

The dealers are being told where their allocated car falls in the manufacturing order. My dealer will get the 160th car but they do not know which allocation group that connects to. As of a couple of days ago, My Dealer's first allocated car has not been opened up for ordering yet and they expect it to be in the next group.

it looks like this system will allow Acura to plan/order the right parts to build the upcoming cars (ex, seat material or completed seats, wheels/tires) and noting that custom is a new life experience for them.

From what we learned today, the first cars should be in customer garages in May.

I continue to call BS on the 800 units per year production target. One article today pointed to production at 8 tp 10 cars per day. On the other hand if they only have 4 engine builders requiring up to 6 hours per mill, that only gets you 26 per week. If the actual engine build time is about 4 hours, then you can build 40 cars per week. My guess is 1200 cars will come off the line the first year (32 cars a week with the plant running 4 days a week for about 40 weeks).

I continue to call BS on the 800 units per year production target. One article today pointed to production at 8 tp 10 cars per day. On the other hand if they only have 4 engine builders requiring up to 6 hours per mill, that only gets you 26 per week. If the actual engine build time is about 4 hours, then you can build 40 cars per week. My guess is 1200 cars will come off the line the first year (32 cars a week with the plant running 4 days a week for about 40 weeks).

You total production number is probably right.
Perhaps we are confusing the 800 cars a year as total production instead of US market production.
I think Honda has stated 800 for the US.
Canada might expect about 10 % of US volume so 80 there and Mexico will take some too(40?)
Then there's the UK, Europe, South America Japan, China Australia and the far east could take another 400-500.
That would use up 1200 plus units in total.

I believe the factoids are getting jumbled in all these articles

if history repeats the U.S. will get half of production so that would be 1600 cars a year total

i don't see how they could turn out that many motors with 4 builders

I wonder when Jap deliveries will start? I'm hoping to get into one by the end of this year...but so far Japan doesn't even have a website up...

my mind still can't comprehend that rhd cars for the rest of the world are being made in ohio.....:eek: That is just amazing......that is how America should be doing business.

New Post Town Hall meeting (last week) Update
Just got off the phone with my Dealers GM a short time ago.
He (like many others) was at a Town Hall meeting at the OHIO factory last week.
A lot of good and/or encouraging news.
They have built almost 150 + (non numbered) ones for (?practice?) shows and as trial (media) testers.

Good/Encouraging news ... so far.

my good news was:
They expect their 1'st allocation approval notice ... so they can submit 1'st build order (MINE) in May. Once in, there will be a ~2 week grace period for any last minute thought changes.
He was not sure of how long from submittal to delivery but is guessing a few months. (I'm hoping not much more than 2)

(He was not sure if the following will always apply or only to 2017 cars.)
Sometime after submittal buyers get an invite to the Factory... (I'm wondering it that means seeing ours in some stage of build?)
I would prefer well in advance to see things up close and personal to enable any last minute changes based on observations we can't see yet.
Though right there, we probably won't be offered any drives (especially on track) in testers he thinks. Hope he's wrong.

As a 1'st year order, (was not sure if later years will also benefit) buyers will be getting a nice coffee table book, PLUS a PERSONALIZED die cast model (scale unknown) built exactly to same specs/options as their order.. colors, wheels, C/F adders, brakes !!!

They hope/plan to build ~ 884 first year (2107) models with ~ 800 to states dealers.
Most , if not all dealers, will only get one build at a time regardless of there total allocation for the year. He thinks that means delivery (or maybe build completion) of an order before next order can be placed. Bottom line is there are some details uncertain above plus not cast in concrete until they (ACURA)_have some learning curve results behind them. Totally understandable at this point.

BTW
he was surprised to see some with Honda vs Acura badging already.
He saw a sliver at factory but at a distance so wasn't able to comment on it. (he did say it looked less shinny than he expected, but it was far away.)
It would be grand if NY Auto Show had a Source Silver on display so I can see it this Friday. But I suspect something else will be there.

Hope this news helps others who are buying early.

Good info GM -- thanks.

Sometime after submittal buyers get an invite to the Factory... (I'm wondering it that means seeing ours in some stage of build?)

I have been told that buyers will not be able to time their factory tours to correspond with the production of their precise car.

If they really offer the visit, and we can't see ours in progress, I'd really prefer it before the order change grace period/ buffer ends. We'll see.

Back