• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Procar Specials NSX

Procar CF Rear Bumper Beam

The beam weighs 4.5 # bare, it's about 5/16" thick which is thick for CF, I can't verify if it's autoclaved, but it appears to be very rich in resin and dense and autoclaving was not a requirement for me. It's almost 6" shorter on each side which does not thrill me, but for what it's worth Detlef told me Honda R & D was involved in the design. No one should expect this part to behave anything like the original, this is for folks like myself who are totally obsessed with dropping weight and are willing to take a bit of a risk. IMO any decent hit is going to buckle the rear "frame" members anyway, they are very puny. The OEM US beam had a tab that the lower valance bolted to for stability. It also had two threaded inserts for the top of the license plate. The Procar euro unit does not have either of these. I fabricated a very simple bracket shown in the picture to serve as the valance stabilizer. Since this bracket has virtually no load and only keeps the valance front shaking, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the new beam and used a 1/4" "Wellnut" available at your local high end hardware store as the connection to the beam (make sure you get a long one). A wellnut is a rubber insert that swells(aught to be called a swellnut) when tightened. Sounds hoky but worked very well. I then fabricated a couple of small aluminum bars to drop the license plate to where I wanted it. While the stock bolts holding the mounting brackets to the beam will start, they are not long enough, so get longer bolts (same thread). Note the skeletonization holes in the brackets. No strength penalty here IMO. I'm very happy with this part and now below 2800# and dropping. The price is not high if dollars = euros. I will be doing the front beam when available.

Attachments

• cfrearbeam1.jpg
    cfrearbeam1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 366
  • cfrearbeam2.jpg
    cfrearbeam2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 279
  • cfrearbeam3.jpg
    cfrearbeam3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 323
Yes, in an ideal world we would all like to know which parts are autoclaved, what resin type, weave type and number of layers. But you blew it man by asking all these questions at once which at least appeared that you wanted to steal their techniques for your own use. I'm sure Detlef does not autoclave most of their parts, like you said there just isn't any reason to. A local vendor of second teir reynard and swift parts only autoclaves a few of their parts, and they supply very high level teams. And they have their own autoclave that is big enough for a tub, so oven cost is not an issue. Aftermarket vendors exagerating and pumping up their products? Imagine that! Unfortunately 99% of vendors do that. I hope you both thrive, for all our sakes. Running down a vendor on their own dedicated thread is extremely unprofessional though. You should come down on all those companies that are not even pure carbon. And whats with none of you guys knowing the actual weight of anything? I've tried to get weights on engine covers forever. That IS the whole point here guys!

The beam weighs 4.5 # bare, it's about 5/16" thick which is thick for CF, I can't verify if it's autoclaved, but it appears to be very rich in resin and dense and autoclaving was not a requirement for me. It's almost 6" shorter on each side which does not thrill me, but for what it's worth Detlef told me Honda R & D was involved in the design. No one should expect this part to behave anything like the original, this is for folks like myself who are totally obsessed with dropping weight and are willing to take a bit of a risk. IMO any decent hit is going to buckle the rear "frame" members anyway, they are very puny. The OEM US beam had a tab that the lower valance bolted to for stability. It also had two threaded inserts for the top of the license plate. The Procar euro unit does not have either of these. I fabricated a very simple bracket shown in the picture to serve as the valance stabilizer. Since this bracket has virtually no load and only keeps the valance front shaking, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the new beam and used a 1/4" "Wellnut" available at your local high end hardware store as the connection to the beam (make sure you get a long one). A wellnut is a rubber insert that swells(aught to be called a swellnut) when tightened. Sounds hoky but worked very well. I then fabricated a couple of small aluminum bars to drop the license plate to where I wanted it. While the stock bolts holding the mounting brackets to the beam will start, they are not long enough, so get longer bolts (same thread). Note the skeletonization holes in the brackets. No strength penalty here IMO. I'm very happy with this part and now below 2800# and dropping. The price is not high if dollars = euros. I will be doing the front beam when available.

Thanks for the infos, we will start to work on the cf front bumper beam as
soon the new RGT diffusor is out of the production.
We have lot of work to do and there aresome races at the weekend between,
so we hope you still have some time :smile:

Hi Detlef,

I have a question concerning the front aluminum and rear CF bumper beams.

Do you know exactly what the difference will be with your new lightweight beams in terms of car and occupants protection when it comes to (light) and offset crashes to the car.
I would suspect that if any car would any your car in a corner (like someone who is not paying attention during parking or when switching lanes in city traffic) the car will sustain more damage with your beams than with the OEM beams.

I would think that especially in the rear, the shorter beam would lead to more rear trunk or fender damage.

Is there a specific reason why you have made the beams shorter than the OEM ones.
My guess would be than a slightly longer beam in both cases would not increase the weight that much but offer more protection.

Thanks in advance for your comment.

Hi Detlef,

I have a question concerning the front aluminum and rear CF bumper beams.

Do you know exactly what the difference will be with your new lightweight beams in terms of car and occupants protection when it comes to (light) and offset crashes to the car.
I would suspect that if any car would any your car in a corner (like someone who is not paying attention during parking or when switching lanes in city traffic) the car will sustain more damage with your beams than with the OEM beams.

I would think that especially in the rear, the shorter beam would lead to more rear trunk or fender damage.

Is there a specific reason why you have made the beams shorter than the OEM ones.
My guess would be than a slightly longer beam in both cases would not increase the weight that much but offer more protection.

Thanks in advance for your comment.

The beams were mainly built for the NSX-R race car conforming to Honda R&D's specification, so we adapt that specifications at our NSX and into the
limited edition production.

We started with the aluminium front beam, than cf rear beam for another weight reduction, last winter we produced some more beams for special customers.
Finally the cf beams are superlight and strong, but surely they
will brake if the impact is too heavy as every beam.

If you have doubts about smaller protection of the shorter beams, you dont
need them. These are racing parts with the maximum of weight reduction.

But our rear crash with the R showed that there was no beam damage.
Finally its a question of the angle and the power of the impact.

Its no problem to make a longer beam, but there was no request for it.
I personally like it how it is. :smile:

Greg,
I have 1 cf rear bumper beam in stock.
The last front one I dont sale, its the master for the new cf front bumper beam, which comes out in 2 months.

Try to ship your part before wednesday, than we are out for the 24h race at
Nürburgring from thursday 22th until sunday 25th may.

Jeff,
your R gck conversion will be shipped back overnext week.
Shift lights manual and wiring infos sended via email.
Actually we are busy to adjust the speedo for your bigger tires. :smile:

Have a nice sunday

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38972&d=1198796258

Detlef do you have in stock any LHD R buckets (for under R hood)? What is the euro price? Thanks.

What pit number?
Have seen that one of your last years drivers drives the Apollo Gumpert Hybrid car this year. Wow, thats really impressive.
Looking forward to meet you and enjoy the weekend, weather should be
fine.
Christian

Please give me a call today in the afternoon. (mobile)
I will instruct you.
I only have 1 ticket for you, not 2 tickets.
Its completly full here and very difficult to find us :biggrin:

Detlef do you have in stock any LHD R buckets (for under R hood)? What is the euro price? Thanks.
Not sure what a bucket is.
If you mean the NSX-R airduct kit, which is leading the air from the back of the radiator to the hood its a yes, we should have a 1 beautiful LHD kit in stock.
Please check your pm.

5576Procar_airduct_1.JPG

Please give me a call today in the afternoon. (mobile)
I will instruct you.
I only have 1 ticket for you, not 2 tickets.
Its completly full here and very difficult to find us :biggrin:

Not sure what a bucket is.
If you mean the NSX-R airduct kit, which is leading the air from the back of the radiator to the hood its a yes, we should have a 1 beautiful LHD kit in stock.
Please check your pm.

5576Procar_airduct_1.JPG

Now that looks like how an LHD airduct should fit! Hey Detlef could you pm me a price for that little metal bracket that extends on the drivers side ( if your standing in front of the car ) I already cut up my RHD airduct to fit.

Now that looks like how an LHD airduct should fit! Hey Detlef could you pm me a price for that little metal bracket that extends on the drivers side ( if your standing in front of the car ) I already cut up my RHD airduct to fit.

Sorry, we dont sale that little metal bracket separate.
Its a complete kit which come with the airduct only.

we wanna introduce the R version of the cf triangle brace for all the people who has installed the the NSX-R mesh engine cover already.

Because this cover has a special (short) stay kit at the right side of the engine area, the standard suppport brackets for the original stay kit are not requested.

We produced that part for a customer, its no problem to add that feature
into next orders.
Finally both versions are available.

(Now we can start working on the RGT diffusor project and the cf front bumper beam)

1x new cf centerconsole for OEM radio and
1x cf door insert parts in stock

Please email or pm for offers incl shipment.

Procar_cc_prod_1.JPG

dip_1.JPG

In stock:
1x cf triangle brace

Procar_cf_tb_1.JPG

In stock:
1x NSX-R gauge cluster kit
1x NSX-R sun visor kit (black mesh)

1x cf wiperblade spoiler
1x cf alternator cover
1x cf cruise control cover

Hi Detlef,

This thread is getting close to 1,000 posts of great products, i'm glad to have a few of them. CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Will Pm soon on the GCK, i have time for my X now.

Antonio

Detlef,
I got the NSX-R gauge conversion and shift light kit and it looks great and made it safe. I will try to get it installed and take pictures.

Thanks

Hi Detlef,

This thread is getting close to 1,000 posts of great products, i'm glad to have a few of them. CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Will Pm soon on the GCK, i have time for my X now.

Antonio

Sorry for the late response, thanks for your comment.
Let me know if you are ready to go.

Detlef,
I got the NSX-R gauge conversion and shift light kit and it looks great and made it safe. I will try to get it installed and take pictures.

Thanks
Glad that all arrived safe. Looking forward to see the result, also how exact the km/h adjustment for the 19'' rear tires is.
Hopefully not too exact :smile:

actually we have these parts in stock:

cf triangle brace
cf cooling panel (2002+)
NA2RR cf hood
cf rear diffusor (2002+)
cf rear trunk spoiler
cf side vents
cf B pillars
cf rear bumper
cf center console
cf door side insert

We can offer special prices for the NSX-R sun visor (black mesh) we have 5 sets on stock now

new Procar cf front bumper beam and RGT cf diffusor will be showed until end of this month.

Procar cf parts like airbox, RWG and the new triangle brace installed at a beautiful customer car.

The triangle brace was a special production for a very good customer, it has no OEM mounting supports for
the engine stay (NSX-R engine cover dont need that)

Procar_parts_installed_at_a_customer_car.jpg

Last edited:
Any news about the rear diffusor and front beam?
Today is the day....we will have both prototype parts finished.
Installation will be on friday, detailed pictures also.
These are your parts Christian, you can come next week to install them
here :smile:

we will have another cf front bumper (production no 02) next week,
we plan to offer a special introduction price for the front and rear bumper beams combos.

Back