Problems with Blitzsafe AUX input

I dunno if anyone else here has installed the Blitzsafe AUX input device for the OEM head unit, but if they have, I need some help figuring out a problem. I installed it in order to have direct inputs for my MP3 player and I've noticed the sound is all screwy.

If I connect both player outputs from the MP3 player to both aux inputs, I get severe muffling of certain frequencies (mostly voices) on the left side and I get a strong reverb/echo effect across the board.

If I connect either the left or right player output to the left aux input, it comes out fine from the left channel.

If I connect either output to the right (red) aux input, it comes out fine from both left and right, which I believe is normal behavior to support mono inputs.

It's only when I connect both that the sound gets screwed up. Flipping left/right doesn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Seems like there's some sort of delay on one of the channels or something and the phase shift is canceling out some frequencies and expanding/reverbing the rest.

(I don't think the shift is in the player output, since I've used a cassette adapter before without problems.)

Which Blitzsafe adapter do you have, and which CD changer is it hooked up to (if any)? How sure are you of your patch cable stereo patch cable?

Aiken Drum said:
If I connect either output to the right (red) aux input, it comes out fine from both left and right, which I believe is normal behavior to support mono inputs.
Are you sure about this part? I couldn't see anything in the spec that would suggest that it does that.
It sounds like the sound is "crossing over" to the left channel from the right, although why it doesn't also do that on the left is odd (if they were shorted somehow).
If your theory is correct, then it would require a detect cct for an input on the left channel, which would then inhibit the signal from "corssing over" to the left from the right. It sounds like a stretch. Seems like the audio coming from the roght channel over to the left is being "added" to that from the left input & creating the disharmony you are hearing.
Either way it sounds like a potential issue with the adapter - it either isn't cancelling the mono (if your assumption is correct) when the left setereo is applied, or it simply shouldn't do that to begin with.
Can anyone else with a Blitzsafe validate if it works in the mono mode that Aiken Drum is experiencing?

White94--

I have the Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D aux input adapter. It's not currently hooked up to a CD changer, but may be in the future.

D'Ecosse--

I know that one input usually supports mono and that the other usually doesn't. I'm not sure if it's usually the right input. I am sure that's what I'm getting, though I'm not sure if it's intended.

That is the same animal I have, although it is not installed yet. I'll try and hook it up tonight to see if I have similar issues.

I've got the other one its a BLITSZAFE and everything works fine . . . . .
I think you should try to hook up the CD changer at the same time, only suggestion thou . . . . .

ok...now i've seen what you guys are doing and need some clarification..without having a Blitzsafe in hand and wanting to hook my XM reciever in will it work?? from the pics i can't tell if the Blitz goes inline with the output to the cd player..i have a stock 93 setup w/cd and want to retain the cd. is it possible? or does the blitz plug into the cd connection and elimiate the possiblibilty of cd use..thanks for any help...

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonalpv1d.html

This model allows the CD changer and auxiliary inputs

LogjamWebsite said:
The Blitzsafe HON/ALP V.1D not only allows you to connect most Alpine 6 disc CD changers to most 1991 to 1999 Acura or Honda factory radio (see application list below), but it also gives you the ability to connect an MP3, DVD, XM or any audio input device that requires RCA input jacks through the Auxiliary Input Converter too! ....

Thanks! i just ordered it and will see how it works..the other site i saw it on didn't explain it very well..again thanks and i'll let ya know!

OK ,just installed my XM radio with the blitzsafe..after getting the weird feedback from one channel..i unhooked and re-connected with the Blitzer...wow..it worked.now for the bad part..after trying to get it to switch from CD to AUX it finally did. now it won't go back! i've tried all different methods.i'm not even really sure how i got it to switch over in the first place. :confused: .i just kept trying the method as stated in the Blitzsafe instuctions..after 20 or so times it just changed..but i was trying so many different combinations of button pushing ,i'm not sure how it finally went to AUX. anyone else with this problem and any clues how to get it to go back and forth without the frantic button pushing.?? ...other than that it went in very cleanly and now sounds great!

So maybe I just need to reseat the connector? Hm.

As for switching, I think all you're supposed to do is switch tracks up and down quickly (or down and up, I forget). I don't actually use this because I don't have anything else connected at the moment.

wellllll.. i tried that about a zillion times.and still nothing..i'll keep trying unless someone has an idea...

I think this is solved.

As mentioned in this thread and this FAQ page, two of the pins on the Acura connector are reversed from the Alpine connector. How I managed to miss this in the FAQ, I dunno. I swear I looked. :)

So I bought a P.I.E. ACUALP adapter cable and all is fixed. No weird echo, no dimming of certain frequencies, and each of the left and right channels can be driven independently by plugging only that side in. The right input no longer drives both sides, since it's no longer driving backwards up the signal ground.

Now, I'd have expected the Blitzsafe HON/ALP aux input devices to swap the pins on the HON end, but apparently they don't. Maybe not all Hondas swap the pins?

Back