Problem with Taitec JGTC exhaust hitting Traction Control Bar

I am trying to mount my recently purchased Taitec JGTC Parallel exhaust system and noticed that the rear of the 2 mufflers is hitting the Traction Control Bar. Does this JGTC require that the mounting hangers be re-welded for correct fitment? I thought this exhaust system was made to plug and play? I do realize that the heat shield under the trunk has to be bent to accommodate. I removed that heat shield (temporarily) just to see if I could get the exhaust mounted in the first place. Well, as I said before, it turns out the rear muffler is resting on the TCB, metal on metal. There really does not appear to be any room at all for adjustment. The JGTC is almost as close as it can get to the underside of the car. If the hangers were made to hang down lower then more of the rear muffler would hit the TCB. It appears very evident that the exhaust system would need to be raised higher, and moved closer to rear apron. But at the same time there is not really any room left to go back as I am already less than an inch from the rear apron, and without a heat shield even in place (at the moment) I see no way to go up higher. I don’t know what is going on? Does anyone else have the same Taitec JGTC system? If so...

Can someone with this same Tatiec system please look under the car at the setup and tell me how close or clear of the TCB your rear muffler is?

Before I go to my local small town muffler shop, I thought it would be best to ask any experts here at Prime with the same Taitec setup what to do. At the least I would be able to pass on the info to the muffler shop so they don’t damage my new muffler or bang around with the TCB.

Thanks

By traction control bar do you mean the rear sway bar? I just installed the Taitec exhaust last week in my '91, and it was a painless procedure. I have about 3/8 th in.clearence between the sway bar and the forward muffler can. I'd check the swaybar mounts, and make sure its in position correctly. Also, on my car the heat shield is in place without any problems, and the Taitec makes such increadiblely t*ts sounds!! Love to drop down thru the gears coming into the corners!

you make not take this seriously, but you do not need the rear sway bar.

Just remove the bar before you start messing with the exhaust.

If you do not like the way it drives, then head to the local welder.

JMHO.

Did you purchase your Taitec JGTC exhaust brand new? If you bought it used, maybe the hangers are bent. My Taitec GT Lightweight bolted up easily. It fits even better than my old RS*R exhaust.

Do you have an OEM or aftermarket swaybar (TCB). If it is aftermarket it could be that you need to get a smaller bar. If it's OEM then somethings wrong. If the exhaust is new I'd contact the company you purchased it from for assistance.

I also had a JGTC parellel and I bought it used.

The exhaust fit perfect but yet according to the previous seller, however it won't fit in my car on one side. It didn't hit the sway bar as yours did though. I ended up rewelded the pipe a little bit.

Two suggestions

1. Take some pictures and post here, maybe there's something you don't realize you did wrong

2. like most already adviced, call the vendor/seller and ask for assistance. (if you chose to reweld the exhaust, you should ask them to cover the money you spent.)

My JGTC center exit exhaust hit the OEM sway bar on my 94 as well. The solution if you want to retain the rear sway bar is to get OEM sway bar from 95+. It is bent differently and it will not interfere with the exhaust. If you want stiffer bar, you can get comptech one which I believe is bent the same as 95+. You can run without rear bar until you get the replacement like someone said above :)

-ak

Yes, you all are right, it is the rear sway bar that was in the way. I don’t know what I was thinking calling it a traction control bar, that’s ridiculous. I have done some adjusting with the hangers and managed to get a ¾ inch clearance. I am going to have to bend the heat shield to accommodate.

Well, my first impression is that I have noticed a loss in power. As for sound, it does have a neat growl in 2nd, but the real sound is at WOT. Honestly, overall I am somewhat disappointed in the sound 'output', I like the sound that is made, I just wish it had a little louder presence. If I take the cats off will that make a considerable or minor difference in sound?

Thanks for all the helpful responses

Oh and.. Please don’t trouble yourself with taking pictures. I appreciate the offers though.

Hi NSXYchick, I too think the Taitec robbed a bit from the bottom end power; I suppose the rice-rocket/ coffee can Civic effect, but the sound is so sweet I'll live with it. My worries were it would be too loud and droning at highway speeds, but am real happy with it, all in all; even swapped cars today with a buddy, so I could hear it rip by at WOT.

Mt JGTC centre exit hits the rear OEM sawy bar (1992) as well. Not much but does touch.

Easy fix, was to make two 1/2inch thick alloy blocks to sandwich under the sway bar mounts. Now nothing touches.

huh, JGTC is not loud enough?? I believed it's quite loud and annoying, (ok I like it) :) Do you have header? I in fact don't think it robbed the low end, but a smoother output overall than my older generation CT exhaust. Well I have comptech headers, not sure if that will make the difference.

Make sure you open the window and drive close to a wall or tunnel, better yet, swap ride with others and listen from the outside. Then you will know.

Back