Primers! Which car would you choose?

I'm with ya Steve. I have a bit of a confession to make though. Since the wife is involved in this purchase aesthetics become critical :eek:. I don't think she'll let me pay that much for a car with pop ups. We have a sprinter van that we use for travel/mountain biking. When we were looking at them, the dodge was ugly while the mercedes looked just fine :confused:. Identical vehicles, but the front end emblem is slightly diff.. Maybe I'll only drive the NSX during the day..:tongue:

My lady was the same way originally, but after seeing more and more of them she now prefers the popups. It's an acquired taste. If it's not your primary driver I can assure that they're not going to be up much unless you're driving at night. (safe to assume you're not driving in the rain)

and just for additional motivation :)

8bad88d2b24e11e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

No offense to you but I found what you said quit funny. Maybe you haven't seen an 2002+ black NSX :biggrin:. What's the difference between the two NSX below? They both are black, have a black roof, and both have 02+ front end except the first one is a '91 and the second is an actual 02+. So to answer your comment... I find 02 conversions on coupes with a black top not odd looking. But I know what you're trying to say :tongue:

I should have phrased it correctly, but I meant to really say the black top coupes on a non-black car like the common red ones. It just looks odd with the 02 conversion. That two tone with the coupes is a classic look IMO and the fixed lights just throw it off for me.

PS: your paint looks insanely good.

Last edited:
My lady was the same way originally, but after seeing more and more of them she now prefers the popups. It's an acquired taste. If it's not your primary driver I can assure that they're not going to be up much unless you're driving at night. (safe to assume you're not driving in the rain)

and just for additional motivation :)

8bad88d2b24e11e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

I should have phrased it correctly, but I meant to really say the black top coupes on a non-black car like the common red ones. It just looks odd with the 02 conversion. That two tone with the coupes is a classic look IMO and the fixed lights just throw it off for me.

PS: your paint looks insanely good.

Damnit Steve.. That would be my combo too.. good and evil lol.

My ITR is a 97 though, so the front end is a little different.

Honestly, my preffered NSX color would be GPW.. They seem to fetch a much higher price though.

It's also insane how low the NSX roofline is. I saw a few pics online of a NSX surrounded by GTRs. It looked like a micro machine!

with cars and everything(condition) being equal milage is the determining factor in price.I would always look to buy the lowest milage example possible within my budget.If you ever decide to sell ,the 02 conversion limits your buyer pool.As the years pass nearly stock nsx will be the unicorns.

I'd stick with the 60k example. Like Doc said these early NSX's with low miles are going to get rare (if not already).

It's also insane how low the NSX roofline is. I saw a few pics online of a NSX surrounded by GTRs. It looked like a micro machine!

To put it in perspective, in that picture the NSX is at stock height and the ITR is considerably lowered. Crazy how low the roof line is on these things.

Bummar!

I was pretty much set on that low mileage NSX. Looks like it just sold.

The search continues.. however, I'm kind of reconsidering the NSX purchase in favor of an S2K.

The wife is wanting to hit the track also.. Looking at replacement parts (brakes, tires.. short blocks lol), they are much cheaper for the S2K. Not only that, I worry about many of the OEM NSX parts being discontinued.

It looks like I can pick up a mint CR for about 5-6K less than an early model NSX, that makes it quite a bit harder to justify. Although, the fact that early 90s NSX still go for 30K+ has to make you believe just how great the car is.

Secondly, I'm sure the CR will depreciate for some time. I'm confident the NSX will at the very least hold it's value, even with increased mileage.

decisions..decisions.

If your concerns are about whether NSX oem parts will be available or whether an S2K or CR offers better value then suggest an NSX is not for you.
Better you go with a lower cost option.
Mid-engined cars aren't for everyone

How is this a real debate? 60k versus 160k...

There is no debate on which NSX to buy - it's obvious which one.
I think the OP is just thinking out loud but hasn't reached a decision to buy

Last edited:
Bummar!

I was pretty much set on that low mileage NSX. Looks like it just sold.

The search continues.. however, I'm kind of reconsidering the NSX purchase in favor of an S2K.

The wife is wanting to hit the track also.. Looking at replacement parts (brakes, tires.. short blocks lol), they are much cheaper for the S2K. Not only that, I worry about many of the OEM NSX parts being discontinued.

It looks like I can pick up a mint CR for about 5-6K less than an early model NSX, that makes it quite a bit harder to justify. Although, the fact that early 90s NSX still go for 30K+ has to make you believe just how great the car is.

Secondly, I'm sure the CR will depreciate for some time. I'm confident the NSX will at the very least hold it's value, even with increased mileage.

decisions..decisions.

Parts are certainly already becoming difficult to find and repairs are not cheap on the car. The NSX is certainly a perfect balance of street and track, but it is not for everyone. If cost is of concern, then the CR may be the better option for now. Prices on the NSX likely will not dip much lower and I suspect will go up once the new NSX is available.

You're not going to go wrong with a CR. I wouldn't argue against that purchase at all.

My two cents:

Ignoring the two choicese presented, if you're going to drive the car a lot and/or track it, pay less for a higher mile car and use the change to make sure the maintenance and any reliability mods are taken care of so you can enjoy piling on the miles.

If you plan on it being an investment and more of a weekend thing, find a low mile car that will hold it's value better.

I also wouldn't at-all argue againce an S2KCR if you're just looking for a track-rat. It'll be faster (stock for stock) around most tracks and cheaper to maintain....just buy brake rotors in bulk, lol.

I dunno, I bought my car @ 56K and it's now approaching 156K. I honestly trust the car just as much now as I did then. In some ways, it's in better shape now than it was 100K miles ago.

Not apples to apples! You're not starting at 156K and presently approaching 256K. And a NSX used daily and maintained meticulously could be very well be better than one with considerably lower mileage.

I'm always curious to the genesis of some '02 conversions as many start as front-end damage.

In a vacuum I'd take 100K less miles every day.

Back