Priceonomics - NSX price monitoring

Hey folks,

Not sure if this has been posted around here before or how accurate this is but just wanted to share...

These guys are building out an automated platform that watches the prices that things actually sell for across the web, and can also notify you when one is posted. Something to keep an eye on maybe.

Interesting to see the dip of about $5k between 94 and 95... could just be a skew in the sample though.

http://priceonomics.com/cars/acura/nsx/

I don't see much value in that chart or website. Several years are missing with no data. Also, how can we be sure it's pulling data from all sources, dealers, autotrader, eBay, NSXPrime, etc. Furthermore, it should overlay with the KBB prices for the years and be able to show a progressive chart to show how the average values are either increasing, decreasing, or remaining flat.

That would be MUCH more useful than whatever that website is supposed to be telling us.

Also, how can we be sure it's pulling data from all sources, dealers, autotrader, eBay, NSXPrime, etc. Furthermore, it should overlay with the KBB prices for the years and be able to show a progressive chart to show how the average values are either increasing, decreasing, or remaining flat.

That was the weekend project that was brewing in the back of my mind when I found this... :wink:

KBB prices are something I often see and hear being referred to.

In my experience, in my industry, their numbers are never used when determining a actual cash value, ACV.

In my region, NADA, the primary, along with fair market value surveys and in some corners, Red Book are the determining numbers used. Even dealers don't seem to use their numbers though they seem to be the primary resource for many internet users. From my perspective, as a front row observer, their numbers are ignored or dismissed when real negotiations of value begin.
I have no reason to discredit or down play the quality of their information. It's easy to use and access and I would welcome any quick easy to use guide such as KBB but don't for the reasons stated. For me there is no sense in using information that seemingly is not deemed credible. This from my personal business observation. No axe to grind either way.

Last edited:
Not a bad site and good for a starting point I guess. It is one dimensional though as it is only focusing on price.

During my personal search, I started tracking NSX's that were in my desired window for about 8 months, noting a few things
- mileage
- color
- region
- asking price, change in asking price (with dates)
- SOLD price
- notes on condition, accidents, etc

That gave me a pretty good ballpark on price ranges and some of the factors involved. Collecting the data was probably as useful as reading the data as I spent a lot of time watching the sale process of a lot of cars.

It looks like it's using historical SOLD price from eBay and Craigslist. Admittedly this may not create a complete picture for NSX prices... you would have to pull from many more sources. Historical information would also be interesting - I want to see whether prices spike when the marketing machine for the new NSX goes into overdrive (i.e. when the new movie comes out with Tony Stark driving one)

KBB prices are something I often see and hear being referred to.

In my experience, in my industry, their numbers are never used when determining a actual cash value, ACV.

In my region, NADA, the primary, along with fair market value surveys and in some corners, Red Book are the determining numbers used. Even dealers don't seem to use their numbers though they seem to be the primary resource for many internet users. From my perspective, as a front row observer, their numbers are ignored or dismissed when real negotiations of value begin.
I have no reason to discredit or down play the quality of their information. It's easy to use and access and I would welcome any quick easy to use guide such as KBB but don't for the reasons stated. For me there is no sense in using information that seemingly is not deemed credible. This from my personal business observation. No axe to grind either way.

Agreed. I mentioned KBB just as a single reference point that's published, using multiple and overlaying those figures in graphs. Use NADA, KBB, RedBook, etc. As much data as possible, the more meaningful the information becomes.

my car showed up on this site and mine was never sold. I got offers around the price but held onto the car... mine is the 1993 that was listed for 52000

Odd. I wonder if it is using "auction ended" data regardless of whether the auction actually ended in the car being sold or not.

Anyway, I've contacted Priceonomics to see if they would be willing to open up historical and/or real-time data via an API. I'm very interested in doing some sort of NSX price prediction.

Odd. I wonder if it is using "auction ended" data regardless of whether the auction actually ended in the car being sold or not.

Anyway, I've contacted Priceonomics to see if they would be willing to open up historical and/or real-time data via an API. I'm very interested in doing some sort of NSX price prediction.

there already exits an nsx price predictor website............nsxprime:wink: just post the link and we'll price it for ya:eek:

there already exits an nsx price predictor website............nsxprime:wink: just post the link and we'll price it for ya:eek:

Heh, outsourcing. I love it.

Anecdotally the prices on the marketplace here seem way higher than eBay or CL... but it's probably worth it to buy a car whose history is known by the community, from a member of the community.

The ultimate arbitrage would be to buy a car from outside the community, establish a few years of credible history for it on nsxprime, then sell it in the marketplace here for 20% more... business idea? :wink:

Back