Price for timing belt and water pump job

Dear fellow NSX owners,

I am going to take my '91 in to my local dealer (Superior Acura in Lenexa, KS) to have my TB and WP replaced. With the NSXCA discount, I was quoted about $1,250 for the procedure, this includes a new TB cover and tensioner. This was last done 08/98, so it is time to do it again. Can other owners let me know what they paid for to have this done? I did a search on this subject, the results however were from several years ago. Needless to say , prices are much higher now. I am just curious to see if this can be considered a fair deal. Thanks.

John
'91 Red/Ivory

there have been threads on this im sure in the last few months

i think 1250 is still a standard price. i checked two weeks ago for a price from local acura dealer here in tx while i was getting my oil change done($65 for synthetic) and he quoted me $1250.

i dont know if its really necessary to change it right on the 7 year mark. my friend has a 95' and its never been changed. another guy i know has a 92 and it has not been changed yet. i have a 97 so i figured id at least wait one more year before i do it.

am i setting myself up for something worse? any comments guys?

My recent w/p & t/b service was about $1,425 including tax. I think that was a little high, but what can you do? I have a '95 w/48K mi. Personally, I'd wait past 7 years if miles are below 60K. However, I thought pushing 10 years was enough and had the t/b changed. Wish I'd asked to see the belt to look at any wear - but didn't think about it at the time.

Two weeks ago I took mine in for a service. I have a 1998 with 45K, but I had the 60K service, TB, WP, cam plugs, etc. The cost was $2,200. It took five days (over the weekend) and they gave me a new RL for a loaner.

Beaknose said:
I am just curious to see if this can be considered a fair deal.
Yes, it's quite fair. Prices for the timing belt and water pump service are typically $1200-1500.

It's a good time to consider replacing the cooling system hoses as well, as a good preventive measure. Add a few hundred bucks more for that.

NSXFreak00 said:
i dont know if its really necessary to change it right on the 7 year mark. my friend has a 95' and its never been changed. another guy i know has a 92 and it has not been changed yet. i have a 97 so i figured id at least wait one more year before i do it.

am i setting myself up for something worse?
Cue Clint Eastwood, saying, "Are you feeling lucky today?" :D

There's no way to say how much longer is "safe". The factory recommendation is clear (90K miles / 6 years on the '91-96, 105K miles / 7 years on the '97-05). On a '97, you're already one year beyond that recommendation. Who is to say whether one year is okay, but two (or three or four) years are not? It's a risk to go beyond the recommended interval. The real question is, if you let it go for two years or more, and the belt failed, causing you an engine repair costing $5K or $10K or more, how sorry would you be that you put off the $1200 expenditure? If you would regret extending the service interval, then play it safe and do the service. If you would be glad you saved the money and risked a belt failure, then put it off as long as you like. It's your engine, your money.

Here's another way to look at it. Over the long term, assuming you aren't hitting the mileage interval, changing the timing belt every nine years instead of every seven years will save you a difference averaging $38 per year. Is the peace of mind of not having to worry about a timing belt failure worth $38 per year to you?

Dtrigg said:
I had the 60K service, TB, WP, cam plugs, etc. The cost was $2,200.
Also a fair deal, considering that the 60K service typically costs $800-1100.

Last edited:
Was just quoted this job from Wier Acura (Cali OC):
Parts = $875, Labor = $1000 - and this included all belts r/r.

JOPRIMO said:
Was just quoted this job from Wier Acura (Cali OC):
Parts = $875, Labor = $1000 - and this included all belts r/r.
Sounds a bit high. Try calling Autowave for an estimate. That's where I would take mine if I lived in that area...

just did mine. Plugs,t-belt,oil change(moble 1) anti-freeze, brake and clutch fluid,brake service,balanced wheels and changed the wiper blades all for just over $300 cdn. and no I did not do the water pump. It's nice when you can do all your own work.

nsxtasy said:
Here's another way to look at it. Over the long term, assuming you aren't hitting the mileage interval, changing the timing belt every nine years instead of every seven years will save you a difference averaging $38 per year. Is the peace of mind of not having to worry about a timing belt failure worth $38 per year to you?

And heres another way to look at it. if it does go, and you're getting the engine rebuilt, you could just have Factor X do it for you, and while they're in there throw in a turbo for ya? :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
Sounds a bit high. Try calling Autowave for an estimate. That's where I would take mine if I lived in that area...

Absolutely! I had planned to later this summer. I was just having oil service done at the local stealer and asked for a quote for grins and giggles. :biggrin:

I called several Acura dealers in my area and three of them quoted me $1900 and the one in Sunnyvale quoted me $2500. Then I called DOn Lam at Hilltop Auto Service at Daly City and he said $1350.

larrynsx said:
I called several Acura dealers in my area and three of them quoted me $1900 and the one in Sunnyvale quoted me $2500.
Only for the timing belt and water pump? (That sounds really high, even for dealers.) Or were other services included?

larrynsx said:
Then I called DOn Lam at Hilltop Auto Service at Daly City and he said $1350.
Since you're further south, another good independent mechanic with lots of NSX experience, but closer to you, is Foreign Affair in Santa Clara. Highly recommended, as is Don.

Back