pre purchase check list?

Guys, new forum member here. I don't own an NSX yet but I'm getting ready to go see one this week. Don't know the year, milage or condition. Is there a check list around that could help me evaluate the car. I'm a diy er and not afraid to dig into a project. I've had a BMW 8 series and Lexus SC 400. Both needed a lot of work and TLC. I've never had a Super Car and would love to own one. I'm a big believer in forum knowledge. Any help would be appreciated.

Step by step instructions

Guys, new forum member here. I don't own an NSX yet but I'm getting ready to go see one this week. Don't know the year, milage or condition. Is there a check list around that could help me evaluate the car. I'm a diy er and not afraid to dig into a project. I've had a BMW 8 series and Lexus SC 400. Both needed a lot of work and TLC. I've never had a Super Car and would love to own one. I'm a big believer in forum knowledge. Any help would be appreciated.

Step 1: Buy the seller (asymmetric knowledge went out the window with the internet. Everyone knows every car. You just have to find who "everyone" is. Put another way, ask yourself, "how did I get so lucky?")
Step 2: Get professional help (no, not mental. Find an Acura NSX-qualified tech to go over the car. It is a $200 insurance policy.)
Step 3: In addition to a PPI done in Step 2, I would insist on a recent alignment report coupled with knowledge that suspension can be further adjusted (i.e. with the car at current settings is there room for further adjustment or are you maxed out?)
Step 4: Get a Carfax. Who cares if it costs $40 bucks. You need to be able to trace the mileage. What? The odometer says 97K but the Carfax shows it titled with 129K last year? You can rattle the seller by asking for the receipt for the instrument cluster. ;)
Step 5: Call every, EVERY dealer in a 100 mile radius. Give the shop the last 8 of the VIN and ask for details on work done. It works.
Step 6: There are several folks on this board that will be generous with their time. Find a way to give back to the forum (i.e. learn a ton and post, post, post)

So far, the above is what I have learned in the first year of ownership.

BTW, I passed on an 850 in mint shape to get my beater NSX. I passed because my BMW guru told me he would rather not work on the 12 cylinder motor. And, I got a screaming deal on what appeared to be a well-put together beater NSX. I skipped lessons 1-6 before I bought it. After I bought it, ego in hand, I had to start on step 6. And find another NSX - which I did.

Good luck!

Step 1: Buy the seller (asymmetric knowledge went out the window with the internet. Everyone knows every car. You just have to find who "everyone" is. Put another way, ask yourself, "how did I get so lucky?")
Step 2: Get professional help (no, not mental. Find an Acura NSX-qualified tech to go over the car. It is a $200 insurance policy.)
Step 3: In addition to a PPI done in Step 2, I would insist on a recent alignment report coupled with knowledge that suspension can be further adjusted (i.e. with the car at current settings is there room for further adjustment or are you maxed out?)
Step 4: Get a Carfax. Who cares if it costs $40 bucks. You need to be able to trace the mileage. What? The odometer says 97K but the Carfax shows it titled with 129K last year? You can rattle the seller by asking for the receipt for the instrument cluster. ;)
Step 5: Call every, EVERY dealer in a 100 mile radius. Give the shop the last 8 of the VIN and ask for details on work done. It works.
Step 6: There are several folks on this board that will be generous with their time. Find a way to give back to the forum (i.e. learn a ton and post, post, post)

BTW, I passed on an 850 in mint shape to get my beater NSX. I passed because my BMW guru told me he would rather not work on the 12 cylinder motor. And, I got a screaming deal on what appeared to be a well-put together beater NSX. I skipped lessons 1-6 before I bought it. After I bought it, ego in hand, I had to start on step 6. And find another NSX - which I did.

Good luck!

Speed master thanks for the advice. I'll follow your suggestions. Can you explain the alignment adjustment?

Also I passed on the 12 cylinder and bought the 8 cylinder 840. Same horsepower less headache.

-In addition to the standard stuff I'd recommend:
-Check all the rubber, suspension boots, gaskets, trims, especially those exposed to the sun, hard to replace and expensive.
-The radiator, if original, is a good indicator of wear and use, if its got lots of mashed fins its had a had life.
-Undercarriage condition. A car with a clean and neat undercarriage has probably been well cared for and babied.
-Full service records

As already stated, the owner is the best indicator. If he's loved the car and cared for it, you'll get a good one.

Speed master thanks for the advice. I'll follow your suggestions. Can you explain the alignment adjustment?

Also I passed on the 12 cylinder and bought the 8 cylinder 840. Same horsepower less headache.

I was making a reference to being sure the frame is straight. Short of taking it to a frame shop and having it checked, I would expect a neutral-set (i.e. more adjustment available on the components) suspension would indicate that the car is in spec. That, and all the little boxes are green (the alignment machine gives a nice readout with pre/post results and what the acceptable range is.)

Someone ways smarter than me can give you better direction on this part.

Good luck!

+10 on what I've put in bold. When I had the pleasure of buying from my seller. I KNEW that I wanted to buy from him. He had almost every piece of paper of every expense ever for the car and knew it's full history because he bought it from the original owner. (So much so that he created a log of gas fill-ups and kept the receipts.) I have followed this since my purchase and have also created an Excel spreadsheet of every time I take the car out. It includes starting mileage, mileage when I return home, where to, and any associated costs. (Maybe a little over the top but if I ever decide to sell, I want the new owner to have piece of mind with their purchase.)

I would add to the list, center console/radio surround and door switch panels for condition/bubbling of the plating. Mine were covered with a stick on carbon fiber trim. Once removed, they all had peeling plating.

Back