Pre-owned NSX vs. New MZ4

Anyone out there in the same boat? I've driven a '95 NSX and a couple of Z4s, but no '97+ or MZ4. Seen the MZ4, and it's nice, but I just don't know about that $57K price tag. Sound System, Wheels are nice as well so I would have to spend money on that, plus the styling is newer. It's weird because I could see myself driving the MZ4 around more versus an NSX.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time, just taking my time on deciding which one to get.

I considered in depth the Z4, Porsche Boxster, and S2000 before I bought the NSX. In fact I had the BMW salesman calling me about once a week for about 3 months to see if I was going to make a move, before I bought the NSX.

I think buying a Z4 would have been a mistake for me, just like the MZ4 would today be a total mistake.

I used to like the Z4 styling, but now it looks totally outdated compared to the NSX. I think the same thing applies to the MZ4. Do your research and get your thing, but keep this in mind.

Being a previous BMW, Porsche and Ferrari owner, I considered various models of those brands before I decided on the NSX. I went on a search for "my last great sports car". As a long time instructor with the Porsche Club, I had ridden in many types of cars and seriously considered a Porsche 993, BMW M3, BMW Z3 - especially the BMW Z3 M Coupe (rare). The NSX is a driver's car.

Basically the BMWs are sport sedans even the Z3 or Z4 M versions- they are heavy and not well balanced. And for a driver, especially someone who appreciates driving on a track, the major problem for the MZ4 is that they can't get all that horsepower down to the road because they are so light in the rear end - so they have a tremendous amount of power but can't use it without the rear end kicking out dangerously. Not easy to drive fast on the track at all. A newer M3s would be a much better choice for serious driving. As for a "type 911" Porsche, don't get anything newer than a 993 - they are for drivers.

The NSX is older but an ingenious design and a wonderful handling car. The engineers started with a blank page and asked: "what would be the best design and material for everything" i.e. engine location, suspension, drive train, body. Thus the NSX has titanium connecting rods, V-TEC, aluminum suspension, aluminum body, etc. Think about where the engine is located in a Formula 1 race car and its weight distribution. There are many, very important design reasons for those. Think about what happens to weight distribution under heavy braking? For the NSX, it goes toward 50/50 for great balance and stablitity and preparation for turn-in. For the front engine MZ4, there is excess weight shift to the front, the rear is too light and unstable under heavy braking and, as the MZ4 transitions to turn-in, the inside rear wheel is very light -----> oversteer. Now try accelerating hard out of the turn. She won't do it! Power-on oversteer and around she goes.

Hang out on this website, read the FAQs and learn about the car. If your goal is a truly unique, 2 passenger car that will please your driving desires for years to come, then spend some time getting to know the NSX. Owners in your area probably meetup from time to time and would be happy to give you a ride and a lot of information. Plus the NSX is VERY dependable, gets great gas mileage unless you are driving in V-TEC and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for maintainance.

Last edited:
I dont know why you would say that you would use the MZ4 moreso then an NSX, but if that is true, why are you asking us?

Get the car that will suit you the best.

I'm coming from an 04 S2000. I really like having a roadster and being able to put the top down, that's why I would look at a NSX-T.

The MZ4, even being an M series, doesn't draw the attention of the NSX and being new I wouldn't care so much about putting the miles on it. I enjoy driving my sports car as much as possible. A really low mileage NSX comes out pretty close in price to a new MZ4. I don't want my car to be a garage quenn. I also own an MDX but I don't like driving the big SUV everyday for work, that's why the S2000 fit it's role very well. I'm now looking for more, thus the NSX and the MZ4 are my considerations.

It doesn't matter how many miles you put on each, the NSX will still hold its value better, and be a better car all along.

On further reflection, if you really must have a "convertable", you might want to consider a Porsche
Boxster S. It has much better handling than the MZ4. It's a newer mid-engine car with a very sophisticated rear suspension.

Also don't hesitate to buy one used. I purchased all of my sports cars/exotic cars used - no problems. Most owners take really good care of them and save all service records.

Last edited:
OLDE GUY said:
Being a previous BMW, Porsche and Ferrari owner, I considered various models of those brands before I decided on the NSX. I went on a search for "my last great sports car". As a long time instructor with the Porsche Club, I had ridden in many types of cars and seriously considered a Porsche 993, BMW M3, BMW Z3 - especially the BMW Z3 M Coupe (rare). The NSX is a driver's car.

Basically the BMWs are sport sedans even the Z3 or Z4 M versions- they are heavy and not well balanced. And for a driver, especially someone who appreciates driving on a track, the major problem for the MZ4 is that they can't get all that horsepower down to the road because they are so light in the rear end - so they have a tremendous amount of power but can't use it without the rear end kicking out dangerously. Not easy to drive fast on the track at all. A newer M3s would be a much better choice for serious driving. As for a Porsche, don't get anything newer than a 993 - they are for drivers.

The NSX is older but an ingenious design and a wonderful handling car. The engineers started with a blank page and asked: "what would be the best design and material for everything" i.e. engine location, suspension, drive train, body. Thus the NSX has titanium connecting rods, V-TEC, aluminum suspension, aluminum body, etc. Think about where the engine is located in a Formula 1 race car and its weight distribution. There are many, very important design reasons for those. Think about what happens to weight distribution under heavy braking? For the NSX, it goes toward 50/50 for great balance and stablitity and preparation for turn-in. For the front engine MZ4, there is excess weight shift to the front, the rear is too light and unstable under heavy braking and, as the MZ4 transitions to turn-in, the inside rear wheel is very light -----> oversteer. Now try accelerating hard out of the turn. She won't do it! Power-on oversteer and around she goes.

Hang out on this website, read the FAQs and learn about the car. If your goal is a truly unique, 2 passenger car that will please your driving desires for years to come, then spend some time getting to know the NSX. Owners in your area probably meetup from time to time and would be happy to give you a ride and a lot of information. Plus the NSX is VERY dependable, gets great gas mileage unless you are driving in V-TEC and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for maintainance.
Thank you OLDE GUY, this was an interesting and informative post.

Test drove the MZ4 today. Great power, nice M traction control to keep you from getting in trouble, but something just didn't feel right. I'm passing on it and going with the NSX. The MZ4 is a great car for those that are upgrading from a Z4, but I do like the feel of the Porshe/Honda/Acura better.

I was actually hoping to fall in love with this car and go with a New MZ4, but it just doesn't do it for me.

All In said:
Test drove the MZ4 today. Great power, nice M traction control to keep you from getting in trouble, but something just didn't feel right.

Maybe because it looks like a clown shoe?

Keep us posted on your test drives and what you decide, in any case.

OLDE GUY said:

Basically the BMWs are sport sedans even the Z3 or Z4 M versions- they are heavy and not well balanced. And for a driver, especially someone who appreciates driving on a track, the major problem for the MZ4 is that they can't get all that horsepower down to the road because they are so light in the rear end - so they have a tremendous amount of power but can't use it without the rear end kicking out dangerously. Not easy to drive fast on the track at all. A newer M3s would be a much better choice for serious driving. As for a "type 911" Porsche, don't get anything newer than a 993 - they are for drivers.

OLDE GUY said:
On further reflection, if you really must have a "convertable", you might want to consider a Porsche
Boxster S. It has much better handling than the MZ4. It's a newer mid-engine car with a very sophisticated rear suspension.

Also don't hesitate to buy one used. I purchased all of my sports cars/exotic cars used - no problems. Most owners take really good care of them and save all service records.

Very well said OLDE GUY!

Drove the MZ4 today:

Good: The sounds system rocked, definately wouldn't need to upgrade at all or for a while. The S54 engine is amazing, plenty of torque and power. This car moves, recklessly fast. M tcs/differential/electronics really keep you out of trouble. Couple of times when trying to accelerate out of turns, the backend would come a bit loose and then correct itself. I've done this a couple of times in my S2000, but I think due to the electronic pedal in the M that this happened easily. Excellent brakes, the car really stops when needed. Steering is precise, suspension feels tight/well tuned.

Bad: Aggresive styling still isn't perfect. Just something about it I'm not completely sold on. A head turner i guess, still looks similar to the regular Z4, but not much of an "exotic" look to it. As technically sound the engineering is, it's hard to explain but I just don't feel one with the car. I'm used to driving my S2000 and the NSX several times, and the visibility of the MZ4 is uncomfortable. It feels more like I'm always looking at the dash instead of the road. I couldn't get the seating just right. The seats are nice, but feel like they were meant for a different car and not a bucket seat feel.

It's new, has a ton of power, excellent electronics to keep you safe, but for me at least, I'm going to pass. I really wanted to 'love' it and buy a new car, but I can't do it. I'll take a look at other two seater converts/targa tops. The one thing keeping me from the Porsche is the (over)price, that and I think the interior is bland, reminds me of the SLK350. I feel I'd be happier with a 'dated' ;) NSX. It's a classic if not now will be 5-10 years later when I still own it.

Comming from an S2000 I'm not suprised you didn't like the MZ4. The S2000 rocks, I havn't driven an MZ4 but I did drive a Z4 and I like the feel of the S2000 better.

Sounds like you should pick up a 97+ NSX-T.

Good choice, MZ4 is an UGLY car!!! I mean, what was BMW thinking Really????

All In said:
Test drove the MZ4 today. Great power, nice M traction control to keep you from getting in trouble, but something just didn't feel right. I'm passing on it and going with the NSX. The MZ4 is a great car for those that are upgrading from a Z4, but I do like the feel of the Porshe/Honda/Acura better.

I was actually hoping to fall in love with this car and go with a New MZ4, but it just doesn't do it for me.

That's because your coming from an S2000. Another car Honda just got right out of the box. BMWs are really heavy after having any sort of Honda sportscar. Just mu two cents.:biggrin:

There are few cars in the history of mankind that are as ugly as a BMW Z4/MZ4. Besides being ugly it is an unreliable piece of German junk. Why do you think there so many GD BMWs here in the states? The best selling car in Germany is a Peugeot!

I LOVED the "clown shoe" comparison, thank God I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that!

Has anyone else cross shopped these two cars? Thought there may be some more impressions now that the MZ4 has been out for a while.

I'm going to put some more seat time in the MZ4, hopefully take it home for the day. Thinks it's more of a new car vs used car. Plus I would end up putting new wheels and a stereo system in the NSX which would add to the cost. Oh well still have a few more months to go till I'm ready to make up my mind.

Thanks.

if you are an " early adopter" and don't really care about "mid engine" handling plus creature comforts are what you are looking for, then go for MZ4.

else, save yourself some money and get an used nsx. i am pretty sure you will be happy with the nsx.

happy motoring,

As Bill (OLDE_GUY) suggested, if you *must* have a convertible consider test driving a 987 Boxster S with PASM and the short shift throw kit. The 2007 MY Boxster S will have the 3.4L engine and will be rated at 295bhp and will start showing up in August.

The Z4 with the S54 engine, is still a front engine rear wheel drive car, it will never have the same feel of a MR car.

Short of a F360 Spyder or a F430 Spyder the only convertible MR car that will outhandle the NSX out of the box will be the Boxster S with PASM. Check the 987 Board at www.rennlist.com and you will see lots of folks who debated between the Boxster S and the MZ4.

BTW: I still love the NSX, but it is *not* a convertible.

Good luck!

All In said:
I'll take a look at other two seater converts/targa tops. The one thing keeping me from the Porsche is the (over)price, that and I think the interior is bland, reminds me of the SLK350. I feel I'd be happier with a 'dated' ;) NSX. It's a classic if not now will be 5-10 years later when I still own it.

BTW: Look around for prices on the MY06 987S's with the MY07 with the 3.4 around the corner you should be able to get good deals on the MY06's with the 3.2.

Back