Power ISSUES

win

Registered Member
:confused: :confused: I am a proud new owner of a 92 nsx with72k mi on it now is it just me or does the car have no starting off power it seems like the car doesn't pull as hard as i was expecting it to I thought my head was going to jerk in 1st and 2nd gear. at high speeds the car is a monster but i guess i was expecting more raw power. dont get me wrong I love my car and she i a beauty. So is it just my car or is it the NSX in general. NEED OPINIONS :biggrin: :biggrin:

win said:
:confused: :confused: I am a proud new owner of a 92 nsx with72k mi on it now is it just me or does the car have no starting off power it seems like the car doesn't pull as hard as i was expecting it to I thought my head was going to jerk in 1st and 2nd gear. at high speeds the car is a monster but i guess i was expecting more raw power. dont get me wrong I love my car and she i a beauty. So is it just my car or is it the NSX in general. NEED OPINIONS :biggrin: :biggrin:

hehe well, we do only have about 224 ft-lbs of torque, so you wont 'feel' the seat slamming feeling you would get from say something with 300 ft-lbs of torque :biggrin: (from a stop at least)

The NSX - even a stock '92 - has very quick acceleration. However, you have to understand that its acceleration is achieved primarily using VTEC (variable valve timing), which extends the torque curve into the upper revs; it achieves acceleration through gearing, rather than through engine torque.

The most common mistake by new owners who claim that acceleration seems sluggish is that they don't accelerate to the upper part of the rev band. Accelerate all the way to redline (8000 RPM on a manual transmission car) before shifting. The second most common mistake is not waiting for the car to warm up; the rev limiter kicks in at 7100 RPM when the car is cold.

Adding a comptech supercharger is a good way to help with the lack of low-rpm grunt.

The 91-96 NSX is not a great street car for 1-2, but on a track, 2-3-4 is great fun!

oh yeah, just fyi, let it warm up first, or you get the nasty 7k rpm REV LIMIT BRICK WALL =) bwuhahahahahahahahahah! of course i'm not talking from experience or anything, i just heard it somewhere....

once you get used to driving the NSX you'll realize what the NSX is all about.
your car is already broken in, no need to pamper it. unleash the beast already. take a few lesson by watching ayrton senna drive the NSX and you'll see what you're doing wrong.

I agree; there's no need to pamper it. The car is made to be driven up close to redline all day long. In fact, that's how the car is properly driven on the track, where you want to keep the car in the lowest gear possible (without exceeding redline) at all times for maximum acceleration. I've driven over 10,000 actual track miles on my NSX, and virtually all of them were spent between 5700 RPM and 8000 RPM, with no problems.

Stomp on that accelerator and take it to redline before shifting! Only then will you experience the acceleration it's capable of.

win said:
verywell put nsxtacy will try but this my new baby will have to pamper it for a while :biggrin:

Bah.....with 72K, you should be romping on that boy all day long. :0

hey to me it still new i just paid 24,000 cash gotta pamper it but not for long :biggrin: so its ok to leave it at high rpm??? if i break somthing im hold you guys accountable :tongue:

win said:
so its ok to leave it at high rpm???
Yes! You wouldn't want to do that all the time, because it burns more gas (at $3+ a gallon). But sure, go ahead and do it whenever you want; it won't hurt the engine or drivetrain.

I concur what others have said... redline it from a stoplight, and see what happens after you hit 6500 RPM.

Back