Power assist steering ..... ?

I just got my '91 NSX from an Acura dealer and their mechanic swore that the steering was fine. With the car stopped, the wheel is just as hard to turn with the engine off as it is with the engine on....?? NO problem while in motion though... is that normal ?? I test drove a few newer models this past year while searching and didn't notice this. The car was extremely well kept and only has 37000 miles on it.... Any opinions would be appreciated (the dealer gave me a 3 month warranty)
p.s.The NSX is an unbelievable car/I'm hooked

If I'm to understand you, the steering wheel is as hard to turn standing still with the engine on as with the engine off....? Is that correct. If so, powersteering was not a standard until 1995. So it sounds like your car is normal.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX??

Normal! No PS on your '91.
Power steering std post 95 so your test drive experiences with later models are giving you the difference felt most apparently when vehicle not moving.

To only unanswered question here is: 5 speed or automatic? A 1991 automatic DID have power steering.

If its a 5 speed the car is definately normal!

HTH,
LarryB

The 92 Auto I drove with Power steering was pretty heavy.. It must not have been working.

Back