Potential result of production ending?

It's been publicized Acura ended production in July 2005. If that's the case, will this make it more difficult to attain NSX parts going forward?

Will the cost of doing major maintenance, ie timing belt change, go up because of production cessation?

Will parts become less available/more expensive as a result?

NSXFreak00 said:
It's been publicized Acura ended production in July 2005. If that's the case, will this make it more difficult to attain NSX parts going forward?

Will the cost of doing major maintenance, ie timing belt change, go up because of production cessation?

Will parts become less available/more expensive as a result?

probably, yes probably but only because of the difficulty in getting parts and most likely.

I don't think so. I recalled seeing somewhere not too long ago that Honda was not going to stop supporting the NSX. If you can get new parts for a very early Acura, there's no doubt that you will be able to get NSX parts yet.

comquat1 said:
I don't think so. I recalled seeing somewhere not too long ago that Honda was not going to stop supporting the NSX. If you can get new parts for a very early Acura, there's no doubt that you will be able to get NSX parts yet.

Honda stopped supporting the NSX some time ago. Honestly, they've already announced that there won't be anymore NSX fiestas in Japan and most interior or secondary parts that you need to buy aren't as easy to get at your local dealership as parts for even a similar vintage Legend.

I don't think it's going to be impossible but given that I'm already on a two-week backorder for some gaskets now... I doubt it's going to get any easier.

Shumdit said:
I think it was 7 years I had read.

I'm not saying that's not true but I find it hard to believe.

Let's say a car company goes bankrupt? How will they be "required" to produce parts. Moreover, how would the US govt. enforce this law on a manufacturer outside of the US?

As I recall, BMW had to make a very big deal about part availability when they launched their limited run of Z8's. That leads me to believe that there isn't a law.

Either way, if someone could find the truth, I'm intrigued.

EDIT - one afterthought. "Producing" parts and making them readily available isn't really the same thing. I'm assuming (and you know what that leads to) that the original poster is worried about finding readily available parts. My thought is that should be a minor concern. It's already harder to get parts for the NSX than it is a Civic and Honda/Acura didn't sell that many over 15-years (BMW probably sells more 3 series in a month!) so it's likely to get harder to find parts. Wouldn't and didn't disuade me but caveat emptor.

Da Hapa, you make some good points. I guess I took the approach that when I bought the car I knew there might be a delay in parts. I'm fine with waiting a bit, that's why it's not my only car. However, when I look at ferrari 308's still having parts available to this day when they get their "3 year service" or whatever the hell you call it, I don't think the NSX will have the problem considering there's alot out there still. 8000+ cars is still alot of automobiles whichever way you slice it. I guess your odds on interior pieces are best if you have a black interior though.

I think 7 yrs is the min.
(But many Honda bike parts can be purchased new for bikes built in the 60's)
Electronics would be my only concern.
How long does a CPU last?
If the need is there, someone will build the part.
But the elect parts could be rough.
Now, to start hoarding NOS NSX parts! (Kidding)
(But did buy a set of new tan floor mats for down the road)
I paid $275.00 a couple yrs ago for a NOS (new old stock)
inline fuel filter for a 65 Chevy.
It was a 1/2 year only car and I was happy as hell to get it!
2157 vette's built with the 425 hp 396 engine option.
I honestly don't see parts as a big problem for the NSX.
But time will tell........... :biggrin:

Last edited:
MCM said:
I think 7 yrs is the min.
(But many Honda bike parts can be purchased new for bikes built in the 60's)
Electronics would be my only concern.
How long does a CPU last?
If the need is there, someone will build the part.
But the elect parts could be rough.
Now, to start hoarding NOS NSX parts! (Kidding)
(But did buy a set of new tan floor mats for down the road)
I paid $275.00 a couple yrs ago for a NOS (new old stock)
inline fuel filter for a 65 Chevy.
It was a 1/2 year only car and I was happy as hell to get it!
2157 vette's built with the 425 hp 396 engine option.
I honestly don't see parts as a big problem for the NSX.
But time will tell........... :biggrin:

You did'nt let the Ebay guy who silk screened a later model fiter with the old info rip you a new one did you??? :biggrin:

Da Hapa said:
I'm not saying that's not true but I find it hard to believe.

Let's say a car company goes bankrupt? How will they be "required" to produce parts. Moreover, how would the US govt. enforce this law on a manufacturer outside of the US?

As I recall, BMW had to make a very big deal about part availability when they launched their limited run of Z8's. That leads me to believe that there isn't a law.

Either way, if someone could find the truth, I'm intrigued.

EDIT - one afterthought. "Producing" parts and making them readily available isn't really the same thing. I'm assuming (and you know what that leads to) that the original poster is worried about finding readily available parts. My thought is that should be a minor concern. It's already harder to get parts for the NSX than it is a Civic and Honda/Acura didn't sell that many over 15-years (BMW probably sells more 3 series in a month!) so it's likely to get harder to find parts. Wouldn't and didn't disuade me but caveat emptor.

Shouldn't matter for a non-US company..it's a condition of selling cars in the NA market...

you're right thought 'can produce' vs. 'in stock' is 2 different things. When I ordered some C30A main bearings i think it took 2 months to come in.

There is generally a parts supply for about 7-10 years. After that, most of the mechanical parts will be available, but cosmetic, interior, convenience, and trim pieces will not be.

I know for a fact that tan '94 NSX seatbelts are no longer available, and '91-'95 Legend Coupe black leather seat panels are also no longer available.

I think there is a law that says parts have to be available for 10 years, but I think it only applies to the parts to keep the car running, and not trim/interior/convenience parts. I could be wrong on that though.

"You did'nt let the Ebay guy who silk screened a later model fiter with the old info rip you a new one did you??? "
{Holly off topic!}
Nope, the inlet and outlet were 1/4" female pipe threads on the GF416 as I recall, much larger than the 327 GF90. Not easy to fake with the huge openings, not enough meat to drill and tap......... :biggrin:

Last edited:
satan_srv said:
Car companies are required to produce parts for at least 10 years after ceasing production. Can't remember where I read that.

Yes, I think you are right. I was going to post something similar.

I hope they keep producing parts for a while.....I have lots of NSX's that I need to rescue. :D

Christian,

What gaskets are you waiting two weeks for?

Curious:),
LarryB

Da Hapa said:
Honda stopped supporting the NSX some time ago. Honestly, they've already announced that there won't be anymore NSX fiestas in Japan and most interior or secondary parts that you need to buy aren't as easy to get at your local dealership as parts for even a similar vintage Legend.

I don't think it's going to be impossible but given that I'm already on a two-week backorder for some gaskets now... I doubt it's going to get any easier.

Da Hapa said:

When did Honda announce they wouldn't hold any more NSX Fiestas? Or are you meaning after the 2005 event? IIRC, the 2005 NSX Fiesta will be taking place late October. FWIW, I just ordered a right front knuckle and it'll be here by Monday. Not saying you're in error, just saying this subject needs more tech to gain validity.

Larry Bastanza said:
Christian,

What gaskets are you waiting two weeks for?

Curious:),
LarryB

Part # 33503-SLO-AO1. It's one of the four gaskets to the tailights (I've got that damned condensation in my trunk and it's driving me nuts).

I'm told that they're on back order and wont' be availalble for shipping to even the Acura dealerships until Oct.3rd. I'm hoping I've located the only one one in the SouthWest but I'm stuck using email to communicate.

Fun.

Ponyboy said:
When did Honda announce they wouldn't hold any more NSX Fiestas? Or are you meaning after the 2005 event? IIRC, the 2005 NSX Fiesta will be taking place late October. FWIW, I just ordered a right front knuckle and it'll be here by Monday. Not saying you're in error, just saying this subject needs more tech to gain validity.

Hi Ponyboy -

I could be completely wrong and I can't recall where I read that (probably on this board) but I could swear that this year's NSX Fiesta is the last one.

I also know, for example, that Acura/Honda had a different approach with NSX owners for this years Palos Verdes Concourse event than they have in the past.

Again, I could be totally off base but that's my recollection.

No worries, Christian. I did a search and came up with a member named "Ben" that alluded to a possible final NSX Fiesta. I PM'd him and hope to hear back soon.

Ponyboy said:
No worries, Christian. I did a search and came up with a member named "Ben" that alluded to a possible final NSX Fiesta. I PM'd him and hope to hear back soon.

NSX Fiesta 2005 is on. But, I've heard from my friend who is pretty involved with the Japan NSX community that this may be the last one. I will be attending the 2005 event.

Back